The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday December 20th, 2022

richwmn

43 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I've sung in Christmas programs, but have never gone caroling. I like sangria, but haven't had any in many years. I'll salute Sacagawea. I'll pass on the meal (maybe if no kale) and drink; yes to the cab sav if someone buys it for me. 

I have been to Sydney. 

It's still chilly, but at least we made it to 31F and the sun is out! I've spent the morning making the marinade for the sauerbraten. I may run to the pharmacy and Aldi this afternoon. Stocking stuffers are wrapped, but I still have the regular presents to do.

@grapau27 So sorry to hear of Pauline's friend's daughter's sad death. She was so young. Prayers for the family and friends, who have suffered so much loss in the past year.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you got home ok. Wow on navigating stairs right after surgery! Rest and recuperate.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck with the tooth. I'm like you and don't like going out in the rain; especially grocery shopping, probably from growing up with paper grocery bags that were terrible in the rain. I hope DD's appointment goes well today.

@Seasick Sailor Enjoy HMC.

@1ANGELCAT The kitties love the tree!

@ger_77 Oh no on the credit card fraud! So irritating, especially as you're traveling. I had that happen on a 3 week national park driving trip; fortunately I had a second card. Like you I use RFID, but I've had accounts with several businesses/stores that had data breaches.

@ottahand7 I hope DB does get home for Christmas. What a great Christmas present for DS to get her cat back! Safe travels tomorrow.

@dfish Fingers crossed that Sue makes it to Midland safely. Thanks for the recipes.

@aliaschief Hugs on this one year anniversary of your sister's passing.

@TiogaCruiser I can't comment on white wines, but I had been enjoying some 19 Crimes reds, including The Uprising, before my 3 month abstinence.

@cruzn single Thanks for checking in. Good to hear Dstep-son's cancer news is encouraging, but bad of him to not test before being around family! 

@luvteaching I hope you get to talk to DH and the staff today.

@Cruising-along Sad about the neighbor's cat; I'm glad she had you come to say goodbye. Good wishes for DH to tolerate his treatment.

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear about the weather and the tire leak (and Pat having to pump it up by hand).

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Arriving in Sydney Harbor in the early morning.

591672298_738-SydneyHarborwiththeOperaHouseandHarborBridge.thumb.JPG.f9590fb173d816b8a571393199b7de0e.JPG

740.thumb.JPG.7227edb573c5ff2bea3037ab388b26f5.JPG

809.thumb.JPG.c089c656d0850afea07444f8e7d58531.JPG

The story of the Opera House Shape

963410458_789-StoryofOperaHouseShape.thumb.JPG.a330a0458e2eeb45c3606c027c663aa9.JPG

808.thumb.JPG.b903da86976689cacd2d7efac6ed2181.JPG

Aborigine playing a Didgeridoo in the Circular Quay

545227821_805-AborigineplayingaDidgeridoo.thumb.JPG.a2696fc57f7b45d9a4f6136c77412c79.JPG

The First Impressions Sculpture in The Rocks

1735740055_820-TheRocksMonument.thumb.JPG.4a5a38bed65b700550d6c1c855a115a8.JPG

View from the pylon lookout on the Harbor Bridge

840.thumb.JPG.971486c7ce7f2335e9684d5a2bf2de48.JPG

Harbor Bridge Walkway

1991233761_865-HarbourBridgewalkway.thumb.JPG.76fa99e4c8f1321fd7c992241f3b0546.JPG

Luna Park

1742958959_890-LunaParkMilsonsPoint.thumb.JPG.312515c16f72d632464a0642c37f4dae.JPG

Sydney Conservatorium of Music

2012703568_910-SydneyConservatoriumofMusic.thumb.JPG.23100aa1334b43e19bc57e9b019235cf.JPG

Pyramid and Arc, Royal Botanical Gardens

488469303_913-PyramidandArcSydneyTropicalCentreRoyalBotanicalGardens.thumb.JPG.7f6120ddc579a82f6aa4241a6d99de16.JPG

St. Mary's Cathedral

460587462_926-St.MarysCathedral.thumb.JPG.2d25cfaf5b07f917cca1e258bfd49f3d.JPG

Sydney Town Hall lit for Christmas

934.thumb.JPG.9fab24e41a90ccfea68f6835bd6b560f.JPG

Atop the Sydney Harbor Bridge

1815240073_PC081540b-SydneyHarbourBridgeClimbTeamPhoto.thumb.jpg.da5a40a5ecc99811fe070a7851520fd2.jpg

Amazing photos Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's snowing heavily here a little north of Seattle.  We're supposed to get snow and cold temps through Thursday, but rain for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so most likely not a white Christmas.

I'm very sad today...my neighbor is taking their cat (my buddy, garden pal, and most amazing cat I've ever known) to be put down this morning.  😞 Knowing how much I've loved him for years, she asked if I wanted to come over yesterday to say a last goodbye.  Of course I did, hard as it was but I was thankful for the opportunity.  His poor old body is breaking down, it's time to say goodbye.  I will miss him as if he was my own.

1909030582_Jinx2022.thumb.jpg.0c0d0af0365103e95d442c407f1ed1d3.jpg

DH has gone for his first weekly "chemo wash" into the bladder.  He has had the procedure before, but couldn't tolerate it after about the 3rd time.  We'll see how it goes this time.  

I plan to continue wrapping gifts today, I didn't get very far yesterday but sure have a mess everywhere.  

Terry @smitty34877I'm so glad to hear you're doing well after your surgery!  14 stairs, wow!!

Graham @grapau27my condolences to Pauline's friend.  How very sad.

Gerry @ger_77darn it about your credit card being compromised!  That's always a hassle, but especially this time of year.

Nancy @ottahand7wonderful news about your sister's cat!!  She must be ecstatic.

MaryKay @cruzn singlehow awful about the stepson exposing everyone to Covid -- and how awful for him, as a cancer patient, to have it.  

@TiogaCruiserI agree with Sharon @Sharon in AZabout the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.  It's what I love.  Now my sister, who prefers sweeter wines (ugh) wouldn't like it, so you may want to consider peoples' tastes -- but it sure is my favorite.

What a sweet looking cat Carolyn.

I'm sorry to hear his time is almost over.

I hope everything goes well today for your husband's bladder chemo wash.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@TiogaCruiser

Laura, if your guests tastes run to medium body wines Nancy’s Chardonnay suggestions are good. 

My current fave is a white blend. Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier. I found it for 13.99. 

Ann

I second the choice of Pine Ridge.  After the NZ SBs, this is my fave.  Always have it on hand.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I've sung in Christmas programs, but have never gone caroling. I like sangria, but haven't had any in many years. I'll salute Sacagawea. I'll pass on the meal (maybe if no kale) and drink; yes to the cab sav if someone buys it for me. 

I have been to Sydney. 

It's still chilly, but at least we made it to 31F and the sun is out! I've spent the morning making the marinade for the sauerbraten. I may run to the pharmacy and Aldi this afternoon. Stocking stuffers are wrapped, but I still have the regular presents to do.

@grapau27 So sorry to hear of Pauline's friend's daughter's sad death. She was so young. Prayers for the family and friends, who have suffered so much loss in the past year.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you got home ok. Wow on navigating stairs right after surgery! Rest and recuperate.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck with the tooth. I'm like you and don't like going out in the rain; especially grocery shopping, probably from growing up with paper grocery bags that were terrible in the rain. I hope DD's appointment goes well today.

@ger_77 Oh no on the credit card fraud! So irritating, especially as you're traveling. I had that happen on a 3 week national park driving trip; fortunately I had a second card. Like you I use RFID, but I've had accounts with several businesses/stores that had data breaches.

@ottahand7 I hope DB does get home for Christmas. What a great Christmas present for DS to get her cat back! Safe travels tomorrow.

@dfish Fingers crossed that Sue makes it to Midland safely. Thanks for the recipes.

@TiogaCruiser I can't comment on white wines, but I had been enjoying some 19 Crimes reds, including The Uprising, before my 3 month abstinence.

@cruzn single Thanks for checking in. Good to hear Dstep-son's cancer news is encouraging, but bad of him to not test before being around family! 

@Cruising-along Sad about the neighbor's cat; I'm glad she had you come to say goodbye. Good wishes for DH to tolerate his treatment.

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear about the weather and the tire leak (and Pat having to pump it up by hand).

Stay safe everyone.

591672298_738-SydneyHarborwiththeOperaHouseandHarborBridge.thumb.JPG.f9590fb173d816b8a571393199b7de0e.JPG

963410458_789-StoryofOperaHouseShape.thumb.JPG.a330a0458e2eeb45c3606c027c663aa9.JPG

545227821_805-AborigineplayingaDidgeridoo.thumb.JPG.a2696fc57f7b45d9a4f6136c77412c79.JPG

Harbor Bridge Walkway

1991233761_865-HarbourBridgewalkway.thumb.JPG.76fa99e4c8f1321fd7c992241f3b0546.JPG

Luna Park

1742958959_890-LunaParkMilsonsPoint.thumb.JPG.312515c16f72d632464a0642c37f4dae.JPG

2012703568_910-SydneyConservatoriumofMusic.thumb.JPG.23100aa1334b43e19bc57e9b019235cf.JPG

488469303_913-PyramidandArcSydneyTropicalCentreRoyalBotanicalGardens.thumb.JPG.7f6120ddc579a82f6aa4241a6d99de16.JPG

St. Mary's Cathedral

1815240073_PC081540b-SydneyHarbourBridgeClimbTeamPhoto.thumb.jpg.da5a40a5ecc99811fe070a7851520fd2.jpg

Vanessa, Great pictures!  I see you all are wearing some kind of overalls in the last picture. Was that because it was cold?  Or the wind?

44 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning!   Thanks all! 

@smitty34877 so glad the healing can begin.

@grapau27 please pass on my condolences to Pauline and her friend who lost her daughter.     

BRRR!  Minus 33 without windchill.,  minus 42 with last night!   And our car died at the doctor.  What a day,  now getting an emergency MRI booked,  as DH gets a new battery.  The auto club had a 36 hour wait to tow, and it’s too cold for them to replace batteries.  They were going to come tonight at 3 am!   So thankful for a kind taxi driver who boosted us.  

E6A55112-42FC-4D57-8FFB-49EF6CF85276.jpeg

All I can say is burrrrr 🥶. I really shouldn’t complain about our temps. 

24 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I am in my hotel room as a temporary home for 2 days. It is nice to know that most of the journey toward Zuiderdam is completed.

Nearby are plenty of places to get thing I failed to bring along.

Happy to know you are there safely and enjoying your pre cruise time. 

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's snowing heavily here a little north of Seattle.  We're supposed to get snow and cold temps through Thursday, but rain for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so most likely not a white Christmas.

I'm very sad today...my neighbor is taking their cat (my buddy, garden pal, and most amazing cat I've ever known) to be put down this morning.  😞 Knowing how much I've loved him for years, she asked if I wanted to come over yesterday to say a last goodbye.  Of course I did, hard as it was but I was thankful for the opportunity.  His poor old body is breaking down, it's time to say goodbye.  I will miss him as if he was my own.

DH has gone for his first weekly "chemo wash" into the bladder.  He has had the procedure before, but couldn't tolerate it after about the 3rd time.  We'll see how it goes this time.  

I plan to continue wrapping gifts today, I didn't get very far yesterday but sure have a mess everywhere.  

Terry @smitty34877I'm so glad to hear you're doing well after your surgery!  14 stairs, wow!!

Gerry @ger_77darn it about your credit card being compromised!  That's always a hassle, but especially this time of year.

MaryKay @cruzn singlehow awful about the stepson exposing everyone to Covid -- and how awful for him, as a cancer patient, to have it.  

@TiogaCruiserI agree with Sharon @Sharon in AZabout the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.  It's what I love.  Now my sister, who prefers sweeter wines (ugh) wouldn't like it, so you may want to consider peoples' tastes -- but it sure is my favorite.

Oh dear Carolyn, I am so sorry about your buddy. What a beautiful kitty.  I hope Henry does well with the treatments. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I just realized today would have been my sister birthday and that I lost her one year ago today. Miss you Sis!❤️

Happy Heavenly birthday to your Sis.    I'm sure it will be a sad day though since you miss her so much.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline asked me to pass on her love and thanks to you all for all your kind words.xx

Graham, great job muti-quoting today.  I enjoyed the teddy bear hug from Pauline.  XX

I took a Covid test this morning before the dentist visit since we had been around others Saturday.  Negative.  We plan on both taking one Friday before we head out early Saturday for DD's house.  Her surgeon visit today isn't until 4 pm since he's in surgery on Tuesdays most of the day.  She can't wait to get a look at the foot unbandaged.  Meanwhile my dentist ground down a small raised area on the crown, and managed to nick my lip too.  He is a new "back out of retirement" dentist as our old one moved to a different practice.  We have decided not to go back to this dentist and start driving to a nearby town to go back to our old dentist.  Our hygienist from the last decade is here and we will go to her as we always have.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy Heavenly birthday to your Sis.    I'm sure it will be a sad day though since you miss her so much.

Graham, great job muti-quoting today.  I enjoyed the teddy bear hug from Pauline.  XX

I took a Covid test this morning before the dentist visit since we had been around others Saturday.  Negative.  We plan on both taking one Friday before we head out early Saturday for DD's house.  Her surgeon visit today isn't until 4 pm since he's in surgery on Tuesdays most of the day.  She can't wait to get a look at the foot unbandaged.  Meanwhile my dentist ground down a small raised area on the crown, and managed to nick my lip too.  He is a new "back out of retirement" dentist as our old one moved to a different practice.  We have decided not to go back to this dentist and start driving to a nearby town to go back to our old dentist.  Our hygienist from the last decade is here and we will go to her as we always have.

Thank you Sandi.

Pauline sends you her love.

I hope your lovely daughter gets good news on her foot today.

It is nice you are going to spend Christmas with your dear daughter.

That dentist sounds careless and you are doing the right thing by going back to your original dentist and hygienist.

I am bringing our Sarah to ours on Christmas Day.

It is her birthday on Christmas eve so we are taking her out for a birthday meal on Thursday.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Greetings from the skies over Florida. We are about Orlando and will be in Fort Lauderdale by noon.

Rich, wishing you a fabulous time on your cruises.  

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

My DStep-son (the one with 2 cancers) managed to expose most of the family and some friends to COVID on Thanksgiving!  This after he was asked by his wife to test, and didn't!!!!  I was one of the fortunate ones that didn't get it, but was doing extra cooking (soups, etc.).  I was literally wanting to strangle him!  Everyone except one neighbor seemed to have fairly light cases.  

Just shaking my head over that one.  My niece wanted to stop by Christmas Day with her fiance and his daughter, but the daughter is sick.  We don't know what she is sick with and the fiance doesn't believe in Covid - still insisting it is a hoax.  I suggested that perhaps they should visit another time when they are all healthy.  Even if his daughter doesn't have Covid, we don't want what she does have. 

The cancer news is encouraging.  He has been having MRI's, cat scans in last week, and so far things are looking good for him.  If the healing from 1st surgery continues on course they will start working on the date for the second (kidney removal) surgery after mid-January.  @rafinmd, I think that for the present time he can be removed from the rotating Cares list.  I'll let you know when he will be undergoing 2nd surgery!  All prayers have been so appreciated and I know have been a plus for his current healing!  

That is really encouraging.  I hope things continue to go well for him on that front.

This has become too long, but just wanted to do a quick check-in.  I read almost everyday, but am just not motivated to post.  Just know I am thinking of all the very special posters who have landed in this wonderful spot!

Thank you for checking in.  It is good to know that all is going well for you, despite being busy.  Enjoy Hawaii.  I'm jealous!

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

BRRR!  Minus 33 without windchill.,  minus 42 with last night!   And our car died at the doctor.  What a day,  now getting an emergency MRI booked,  as DH gets a new battery.  The auto club had a 36 hour wait to tow, and it’s too cold for them to replace batteries.  They were going to come tonight at 3 am!   So thankful for a kind taxi driver who boosted us.  

You lucked out with the taxi driver.  I bought jumper cables and carry them in my car just in case I or someone else needs a jump.  Better safe than sorry!

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@TiogaCruiserA good suggestion for a crowd pleasing white wine would be either Meiomi or La Crema Sonoma chardonnays. 

La Crema is one of my favorites!   Can't go wrong with that.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. It’s cold, and I’m missing Florida, but it’s going to get cold there too soon. My friend there told me her patients were cruising and flying for Thanksgiving and all came back sick. I finally had my booster and so far so good. 
Stay safe everyone and wear a mask if you fly.

Carol

Sorry that Florida is out for you, but happy that you are not having a reaction to the booster.   Your advice to wear a mask if flying is spot on!

Well, I am having a go round with FedEx.  Yesterday they delivered a package for Previous Owner.  I called and let them know that PO moved two months ago and was no longer at this address.   They said they would pick up the package today.  Well, instead of picking it up, they delivered a second package.  So, I called again asking why they would deliver a second package when I had told them that PO no longer lived here.  They said they had investigated and determined that they had delivered the package correctly so they weren't going to pick it up.  I told them if they didn't get it by tomorrow evening it was going to the curb for trash pickup Thursday morning. I suppose I could try to locate their realtor and see if she has contact information for them.  And, ask her to call them and tell them to come get their boxes.  More work than I want to do, but......

• Like 17

Thank you every one who has posted great pictures today.  While it's not on my bucket list, Sydney looks like an exciting city.  

@Cruising-alongI am so sorry about your buddy, but what a nice neighbor you have that understood the bond that you had with him.

@cruzn single I am glad to know that you are OK.  I understand the non decorating, and the non communicating.  It's a "funk" of depression.  While DH did make me feel guilty about not putting out lights, when he grabbed them and went off to decorate, it did snap me out for a while and I helped.

Inside is a different story, I have a gaggle of angels sitting on a table in no particular order and even the glass table has not been cleaned.  I keep thinking that something will tell me to finish, but I'm not there yet.  I am glad that you posted!

Yes, Bubbles did come home, and slept in the box.  When Fawn got off the porch and realized he was there she jumped in the box and kept him company all morning.  She did not leave his side. I put an additonal blanket over them to help keep them warm. When we got back from shopping they were both on the porch, he was in one blanket bed, and she was in the other, and I closed the door to add a little extra heat to the porch, but since he was so cold, and so forlorn this morning, I think they may have to stay on the porch all day and night, so that they can both get to feeling better.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, all, and wishes to all for good holidays!

'Winter Storm Elliott' is changing all of our Christmas plans. With blizzard conditions predicted for most of Michigan starting Thursday and ending sometime Saturday, we will not head to my DH's son nor to his sister's (my DSIL) on Dec 23, as planned.

Instead, the two of us will hunker down in NWMI and not head downstate to my stepson's till late Christmas Day. They will have had their big dinner Dec 24, so I'll spend part of 'Elliott' prepping pulled pork + side dishes to take there for a casual Dec 25 dinner. We'll stay over and then head to DSIL's on Dec 26 where I will fix the dinner for her that I had planned for Dec 23. I think we will return home Dec 27. (And, if you've got that all sorted out, you're a step ahead of me...)

In the long run, we will see my DH's MI son + family and, most importantly, spend time with DH's very ill sister. And, after all, what's a specific date but just a number on the calendar?

So, I'm off to revise my holiday meals grocery list...

With the joy in my heart that comes from my DH's family understanding my unwillingness to drive during 'Elliott' and their willingness to let us to rearrange.

And, with the added glee that comes from the USPS reporting that the box I mailed way too late may make it to my DH's Boston son's in time for me not to end up on the bad step-grandma list.

Have great holidays, all!

-Melisa

• Like 17

@dfish I would recommend that when you call FedEx again, you just ask for a manager before you even start talking to anyone.  Mentioning the word manager makes the rep feel like they aren't' good enough (they aren't ) and if the manager is stupid, well you know,  poop doesn't bury itself.

If that doesn't work, then call the realtor, and see if they can get in touch with the PO.  My PO here is deceased, his son sold me the house, but the son also owns about 8 more properties in the hood, and sells when he needs money.  So sadly we have vacant houses that have been vacant for years.  I wonder what the law says about keeping packages that dont belong to you.  There might be food and gold in them.  But then again, if the sender was that close to them, you would think they would know she moved.  So maybe not gold.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Greetings and Good Morning, Friends!  I haven't posted here since before Thanksgiving..  Lots has been going on, and two things stand out as reasons for me to have "shirked" on posting.

My DStep-son (the one with 2 cancers) managed to expose most of the family and some friends to COVID on Thanksgiving!  This after he was asked by his wife to test, and didn't!!!!  I was one of the fortunate ones that didn't get it, but was doing extra cooking (soups, etc.).  I was literally wanting to strangle him!  Everyone except one neighbor seemed to have fairly light cases.  

The cancer news is encouraging.  He has been having MRI's, cat scans in last week, and so far things are looking good for him.  If the healing from 1st surgery continues on course they will start working on the date for the second (kidney removal) surgery after mid-January.  @rafinmd, I think that for the present time he can be removed from the rotating Cares list.  I'll let you know when he will be undergoing 2nd surgery!  All prayers have been so appreciated and I know have been a plus for his current healing!  

This "pre-winter" time since the first part of November has really gotten me down.  I know that we aren't as cold as our Northern neighbors, but the damp cold we have experienced has really bothered me this year. To further illustrate, I have done no decorating for Christmas, and don't plan to. I will be having family for Christmas dinner, and that is the extent of my holiday planning!  I can't wait till I go to Hawaii for almost the whole month of January!  Of course, I have been watching all the news coverage of the hard landing for the Hawaiian plane.  That is the flight I will be taking - as there is only one flight daily from Phoenix each way!

I have been following with interest all the lucky people on cruises.  I have lifted in prayer those who have been on the Cares list.  @smitty34877I am so happy for you that your hip replacement went well especially for you to return home.  There will be continued prayers for all those in need.  

I still am keeping busy with various calls (Zoom, etc.) for Red Cross.  Thank goodness my role doesn't require me to be gone from home that much.  About a week ago, I got the latest booster and had no reaction whatsoever!  Hoping my immunity continues.

This has become too long, but just wanted to do a quick check-in.  I read almost everyday, but am just not motivated to post.  Just know I am thinking of all the very special posters who have landed in this wonderful spot!

Have a great day!

Mary Kay

Thanks for posting, Mary Kay.  It is hard to do sometimes when things aren't going so well.  I'm sorry that this holiday season has been difficult for you.  Hang in there.  Hopefully Hawaii will be very rejuvenating.   🌴   🍍   🌺

Maxine

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Vanessa, Great pictures!  I see you all are wearing some kind of overalls in the last picture. Was that because it was cold?  Or the wind?

Sharon, they call them Climb suits and everyone must wear them. A safety harness is then put around you and a safety line attaches you to the bridge at all times during the climb.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Meanwhile my dentist ground down a small raised area on the crown, and managed to nick my lip too.  He is a new "back out of retirement" dentist as our old one moved to a different practice.  We have decided not to go back to this dentist and start driving to a nearby town to go back to our old dentist.  Our hygienist from the last decade is here and we will go to her as we always have.

Sandi, wow on the dentist nicking your lip! I know mistakes can happen, but I don't blame you for going back to your old dentist.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I am in my hotel room as a temporary home for 2 days. It is nice to know that most of the journey toward Zuiderdam is completed.

Rich, good to hear you arrived safely.

@HAL Sailer Sorry the coming storm is throwing a monkey wrench into your plans, but you have to be safe. Your new plan sounds good.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wise decision about the dentist..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Greetings and Good Morning, Friends!  I haven't posted here since before Thanksgiving..  Lots has been going on, and two things stand out as reasons for me to have "shirked" on posting.

This "pre-winter" time since the first part of November has really gotten me down.  I know that we aren't as cold as our Northern neighbors, but the damp cold we have experienced has really bothered me this year. To further illustrate, I have done no decorating for Christmas, and don't plan to. I will be having family for Christmas dinner, and that is the extent of my holiday planning!  I can't wait till I go to Hawaii for almost the whole month of January!  Of course, I have been watching all the news coverage of the hard landing for the Hawaiian plane.  That is the flight I will be taking - as there is only one flight daily from Phoenix each way!

I have been following with interest all the lucky people on cruises.  I have lifted in prayer those who have been on the Cares list.  @smitty34877I am so happy for you that your hip replacement went well especially for you to return home.  There will be continued prayers for all those in need.  

I still am keeping busy with various calls (Zoom, etc.) for Red Cross.  Thank goodness my role doesn't require me to be gone from home that much.  About a week ago, I got the latest booster and had no reaction whatsoever!  Hoping my immunity continues.

Have a great day!

Mary Kay

It is nice to hear from you Mary Kay.

Sorry to hear your stepson passed on Covid to some of your family and friends when he didn't test which would have prevented this.

Happy to hear his Cancer treatment is working.

Wow a month in Hawaii in January sounds like a dream and will be a massive tonic for you.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good afternoon from a still windy and cold central Texas, but at least it warmed to 51F.  The sun came out as we were on our way home.  Maybe it came out to help celebrate the good news from the visit with the surgeon.  DH is officially discharge with the exception of an x-ray and visit every two months until October.  These visits are to check on the amount of bone growth from the spinal fusion.  The bone is growing slowly but that is to be expected.  For DH, the best news was he could put the "hated" back brace in the closet!  👍 👏

Have a great day!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, thank you for checking in, and I can understand why you were absent for a while.  I'm glad that your step-son is healing well from the cancer surgery and may be able to have the second one scheduled after the first of the year.  BUT, shame on him for not testing and exposing so many of the family to Covid.  I am glad you were not one of those who got sick and hope that all are recovered now.  I can understand the funk you've been in.  I was that way until things turned around, and DH began improving.  Enjoy planning for your Hawaii trip, and I know you will have a great time in the warm weather.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Fabulous photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, 

Good morning from north of Seattle! We have about 6 inches of snow and it's snowing now. It's a light dry snow and we've had wind. My car, sitting in the carport, has snow on it! 

I haven't been able to get in to see DH since Saturday due to snow, roads, etc. Yesterday a dear friend stopped and saw him and they phoned me. He sounded great, wants to be home, and misses me. I miss him. I admit, I was teary off and on yesterday and out-of-sorts a bit as I wasn't with him for a second day in a row. The aide called me mid-morning and said he'd looked out the window and told her his wife wouldn't be coming when he saw the snow. She was going to have him call me but it didn't happen. I've left messages for two days asking for nursing/therapy, etc to call but so far nothing. It's totally frustrating! Oh well, will try again today. 

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

Karen, I'm sorry the snow is keeping you for seeing your DH.  I hope you can finally talk to the nurse/therapy soon.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Carolyn, I'm sorry your buddy reached the point it was time to say goodbye, but how nice of his owner to give you that opportunity.  He was a very handsome guy.  I hope your DH  can tolerate the weekly treatments this time.

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, nice to see all the posts when I get here after breakfast.  Condolences to Pauline and her friend on the loss of her friend's daughter.  How terrible.  We have Australian friends who lost their only son from a fall down stairs in Bangkok (years ago, but he was a good friend of our DD's, she still talks about it).  

Terry, that is amazing that you managed the stairs on the same day you had a hip replacement.  The wonders of modern medical science.  Prayers you recover quickly, and pain free.

Well, everything has hit the fan here!  Masses of snow (about a foot) and Victoria is never prepared for it, it will take days to clear.  Yesterday, Pat announced we had a slow leak in one tire, and he spent the afternoon hunting for a place to have a look at it.  He can get an appointment for December 31st (when we will be in Cabo)!  In the meantime, he is pumping it by hand.  I'm afraid that with the snow, I won't get to my haircut tomorrow, and then will have to just wait until I am on board.  I am beginning to look quite scruffy, will they let me on?  I had it all planned so perfectly!  And DD has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, I don't know how that will work out.

Yesterday was so cold, Pat spent the afternoon bringing in and rotating the hummingbird feeders, melting the ice and then putting them back outside.  He was worn out by the end of the day, but I'm afraid it's going to be the same today.  The birds are frantic for their warm "cuppa".  We have a lot of glass, skylights, etc., and it was really cold inside yesterday, I had the electric fireplaces on as well as the heat pumps going full blast and a heating pad on my knees as I sat.  Hopefully the snow will insulate the skylights at least, today.  I feel for those Floridian iguanas!

Ann, I'm sorry the snow has played havoc with your plans.  Hopefully, things will improve by the time you are ready to head to San Diego.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I have been to Sydney. 

Stay safe everyone.

Harbor Bridge Walkway

Luna Park

St. Mary's Cathedral

Vanessa, thank you for your pictures of Sydney.  DH wanted to climb the Harbor Bridge in 2002, but I was a big chicken.  🐓

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning!   Thanks all! 

@smitty34877 so glad the healing can begin.

@grapau27 please pass on my condolences to Pauline and her friend who lost her daughter.     

E6A55112-42FC-4D57-8FFB-49EF6CF85276.jpeg

Brenda, I hope you can get a new battery soon, and thank goodness for the kind taxi driver.  Hope the MRI can be scheduled soon, and that it does not show anything serious.

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

@TiogaCruiserA good suggestion for a crowd pleasing white wine would be either Meiomi or La Crema Sonoma chardonnays. 

@Quartzsite Cruiserand @JazzyVThank you for the lovely photos of Sydney. 

@Cruising-alongI am so sorry your neighbor had to put your buddy kitty down.   It is always inevitable but is always too early.   I am sure you will miss him.  

I just got a message from my DS that she is taking her kitty that has returned home to the ER vet in Grand Rapids.  She has rapid breathing, maybe that is why the people returned her.    It is so hard to get into a regular vet these days.  Too bad stock isn't sold in animal ERs.  

Nancy, I hope your DS's kitty is not too sick, and the ER vet can help her.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Nearby are plenty of places to get thing I failed to bring along.

Rich, I'm glad  you made it safely to Fort Lauderdale. Enjoy your stay before boarding the Zuiderdam.

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. It’s cold,and I’m missing Florida, but it’s going to get cold there too soon. My friend there told me her patients were cruising and flying for Thanksgiving and all came back sick. I finally had my booster and so far so good. 
Stay safe everyone and wear a mask if you fly.

Carol

Carol, that is good news you got the booster and are not having any problems from it.

52 minutes ago, dfish said:

Rich, wishing you a fabulous time on your cruises.  

Just shaking my head over that one.  My niece wanted to stop by Christmas Day with her fiance and his daughter, but the daughter is sick.  We don't know what she is sick with and the fiance doesn't believe in Covid - still insisting it is a hoax.  I suggested that perhaps they should visit another time when they are all healthy.  Even if his daughter doesn't have Covid, we don't want what she does have. 

That is really encouraging.  I hope things continue to go well for him on that front.

Thank you for checking in.  It is good to know that all is going well for you, despite being busy.  Enjoy Hawaii.  I'm jealous!

You lucked out with the taxi driver.  I bought jumper cables and carry them in my car just in case I or someone else needs a jump.  Better safe than sorry!

La Crema is one of my favorites!   Can't go wrong with that.

Sorry that Florida is out for you, but happy that you are not having a reaction to the booster.   Your advice to wear a mask if flying is spot on!

Well, I am having a go round with FedEx.  Yesterday they delivered a package for Previous Owner.  I called and let them know that PO moved two months ago and was no longer at this address.   They said they would pick up the package today.  Well, instead of picking it up, they delivered a second package.  So, I called again asking why they would deliver a second package when I had told them that PO no longer lived here.  They said they had investigated and determined that they had delivered the package correctly so they weren't going to pick it up.  I told them if they didn't get it by tomorrow evening it was going to the curb for trash pickup Thursday morning. I suppose I could try to locate their realtor and see if she has contact information for them.  And, ask her to call them and tell them to come get their boxes.  More work than I want to do, but......

Debbie, I'm glad you told your niece it would be better to reschedule the visit until everyone is well.  I can't believe FedEx is making you responsible for getting the packages to the correct person when that person no longer lives there.

25 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Thank you every one who has posted great pictures today.  While it's not on my bucket list, Sydney looks like an exciting city.  

@Cruising-alongI am so sorry about your buddy, but what a nice neighbor you have that understood the bond that you had with him.

@cruzn single I am glad to know that you are OK.  I understand the non decorating, and the non communicating.  It's a "funk" of depression.  While DH did make me feel guilty about not putting out lights, when he grabbed them and went off to decorate, it did snap me out for a while and I helped.

Inside is a different story, I have a gaggle of angels sitting on a table in no particular order and even the glass table has not been cleaned.  I keep thinking that something will tell me to finish, but I'm not there yet.  I am glad that you posted!

Yes, Bubbles did come home, and slept in the box.  When Fawn got off the porch and realized he was there she jumped in the box and kept him company all morning.  She did not leave his side. I put an additional blanket over them to help keep them warm. When we got back from shopping they were both on the porch, he was in one blanket bed, and she was in the other, and I closed the door to add a little extra heat to the porch, but since he was so cold, and so forlorn this morning, I think they may have to stay on the porch all day and night, so that they can both get to feeling better.

Annie, I'm glad Bubbles and Fawn have each other to help stay warm.  You are so nice to provide food and shelter for them.

45 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Good afternoon, all, and wishes to all for good holidays!

'Winter Storm Elliott' is changing all of our Christmas plans. With blizzard conditions predicted for most of Michigan starting Thursday and ending sometime Saturday, we will not head to my DH's son nor to his sister's (my DSIL) on Dec 23, as planned.

Instead, the two of us will hunker down in NWMI and not head downstate to my stepson's till late Christmas Day. They will have had their big dinner Dec 24, so I'll spend part of 'Elliott' prepping pulled pork + side dishes to take there for a casual Dec 25 dinner. We'll stay over and then head to DSIL's on Dec 26 where I will fix the dinner for her that I had planned for Dec 23. I think we will return home Dec 27. (And, if you've got that all sorted out, you're a step ahead of me...)

In the long run, we will see my DH's MI son + family and, most importantly, spend time with DH's very ill sister. And, after all, what's a specific date but just a number on the calendar?

So, I'm off to revise my holiday meals grocery list...

With the joy in my heart that comes from my DH's family understanding my unwillingness to drive during 'Elliott' and their willingness to let us to rearrange.

And, with the added glee that comes from the USPS reporting that the box I mailed way too late may make it to my DH's Boston son's in time for me not to end up on the bad step-grandma list.

Have great holidays, all!

-Melisa

Melisa, I'm sorry the storm has you rearranging your family visits.  You are lucky that everyone was flexible and could adjust to the new timeline.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your DD gets a good report from the surgeon today.  I don't blame you for following your old dentist to the new practice.

DH just got some more good news.  He no longer needs PT, and will be discharged from PT and the nurses visits soon.  Yesterday, we found out that the therapist has not been vaccinated against Covid, so we were uncomfortable having her come again.  We originally said we only wanted fully vaccinated and boosted people coming here, and were shocked when heard she wasn't.   No more adjusting our days to accommodate their schedules!

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

I don't have to look far for evergreens (from yesterday's Daily): they're right outside, constantly being eaten by deer. I have in mind to replace the smaller ones with Ilex glabra, inkberry -- there are compact varieties that can be grown in place of boxwood, which is nothing but trouble in the growing conditions here. Most Ilex species are what we call holly, but there is a non-prickly native variety, the yaupon. It's not totally suitable for my property, because most strains of it grow to enormous size.

Neither of the meal suggestions will work for me. Unless I have some inspiration in the next hour, dinner will be the chicken cooked with shallots and tomatoes left from yesterday. I don't understand why anyone would make a pumpkin cocktail. I haven't been to Sydney.

Does anyone remember the Sacagawea dollar? It replaced the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, but didn't catch on much better; Wikipedia says "introduced in 2000, although not minted for general circulation between 2002 to 2008 and again from 2012 onward because of its general unpopularity with the public and low business demand for the coin." There has been very little interest in dollar coins ever since the silver dollar was withdrawn, and now they're inconvenient in retail because cash trays have no section for them. They might not have been produced at all if Congress had not enacted a law requiring it. In 2007 Congress added a requirement that the reverse of the coin depict other Native Americans prominent in history.

2044408033_HanukkahfromBrooklyn.thumb.jpg.910323eaa324e86105a1b26ec02637dd.jpg

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a still windy and cold central Texas, but at least it warmed to 51F.  The sun came out as we were on our way home.  Maybe it came out to help celebrate the good news from the visit with the surgeon.  DH is officially discharge with the exception of an x-ray and visit every two months until October.  These visits are to check on the amount of bone growth from the spinal fusion.  The bone is growing slowly but that is to be expected.  For DH, the best news was he could put the "hated" back brace in the closet!  👍 👏

Mary Kay, thank you for checking in, and I can understand why you were absent for a while.  I'm glad that your step-son is healing well from the cancer surgery and may be able to have the second one scheduled after the first of the year.  BUT, shame on him for not testing and exposing so many of the family to Covid.  I am glad you were not one of those who got sick and hope that all are recovered now.  I can understand the funk you've been in.  I was that way until things turned around, and DH began improving.  Enjoy planning for your Hawaii trip, and I know you will have a great time in the warm weather.

Thank you, Graham.

Karen, I'm sorry the snow is keeping you for seeing your DH.  I hope you can finally talk to the nurse/therapy soon.

Carolyn, I'm sorry your buddy reached the point it was time to say goodbye, but how nice of his owner to give you that opportunity.  He was a very handsome guy.  I hope your DH  can tolerate the weekly treatments this time.

Ann, I'm sorry the snow has played havoc with your plans.  Hopefully, things will improve by the time you are ready to head to San Diego.

Vanessa, thank you for your pictures of Sydney.  DH wanted to climb the Harbor Bridge in 2002, but I was a big chicken.  🐓

Brenda, I hope you can get a new battery soon, and thank goodness for the kind taxi driver.  Hope the MRI can be scheduled soon, and that it does not show anything serious.

Nancy, I hope your DS's kitty is not too sick, and the ER vet can help her.

Rich, I'm glad  you made it safely to Fort Lauderdale. Enjoy your stay before boarding the Zuiderdam.

Carol, that is good news you got the booster and are not having any problems from it.

Debbie, I'm glad you told your niece it would be better to reschedule the visit until everyone is well.  I can't believe FedEx is making you responsible for getting the packages to the correct person when that person no longer lives there.

Annie, I'm glad Bubbles and Fawn have each other to help stay warm.  You are so nice to provide food and shelter for them.

Melisa, I'm sorry the storm has you rearranging your family visits.  You are lucky that everyone was flexible and could adjust to the new timeline.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope your DD gets a good report from the surgeon today.  I don't blame you for following your old dentist to the new practice.

DH just got some more good news.  He no longer needs PT, and will be discharged from PT and the nurses visits soon.  Yesterday, we found out that the therapist has not been vaccinated against Covid, so we were uncomfortable having her come again.  We originally said we only wanted fully vaccinated and boosted people coming here, and were shocked when heard she wasn't.   No more adjusting our days to accommodate their schedules!

Lenda

That is very promising and well deserved news about your husband's improved health Lenda and I am thrilled for you both.

I'm looking forward to hearing about lots of new cruises for you two.

Graham.

• Like 9

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good news for DH about only having to get x-rays periodically, getting rid of the back brace, and no longer needing PT! I'm surprised the therapist was unvaccinated, but there were healthcare people here who resisted the shots. I wasn't sure I could do the bridge climb (this was in 2006) from a fitness standpoint rather than being afraid, but I did it and was proud of myself.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite Cruiser,Lenda, I am so glad Steve has progressed so well a d is discharged from PT!

We had an aide come last week for Tana who told us she was nit vaccinated.I asked her to leave as it is very risky for all of us.She told me covid wasn't  real.I had all I could do to shut my mouth and not display my temper.Oh my.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the report and all today's contributions 

Snowed all night in Vancouver,more on the way. Was up at 6 digging out to get eldestson to work.  Power was out again for 6 hours, crews worked on snow clearing through the night, but despite huge efforts was a lost battle.  Got nearly 18 inches, people in the dark walking on roadways, not the best.  @luvteaching we keep our RV near Maryville, so appreciate knowing how much you got.  Probably not going to visit now over the holidays  

So its official, paid deposit on the kolingsdam (spelling?) today for 5th April 2024.  Going San Diego to Cabo, then day at sea to see Solar Eclipse, and hit PV before crossing to Hawaii and back to Vancouver. 22 days, so excited

Best wishes to all

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

We had a lot of snow last night and this morning.  Stopped for now, but the temperature hovers around freezing.  A company was scheduled to start today raising and evening the foundation on my log house.  I told them yesterday that they should postpone because of the snow.  They said "No problem, we can make it".  After destroying a set of tire chains they realized they couldn't make up the steep driveway.  Not sure if they will try tomorrow or put it off for a week or two.  I thought the drink of the day was amusing.  I would modify the recipe by skipping the lemon juice, vermouth, sugar, pumpkin puree, bitters, hard cider and spices.  Then I would double the bourbon, add two ice cubes, and enjoy.

Ray

• Like 9
  • Haha 9