Saturday December 9th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

I am loving all the pictures, I do remember most of what you have shown, except for the markets, the stores, and the streets.  But bridges, tunnels and very narrow roads are definitely in my memory!  

@kazu I am sorry you took a tumble this morning,  I hope it was a soft landing? and that nothing was hurt.  I would much rather crash on snow, than ice.

• Like 19

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you for  the news of the day!  It is raining here, and the reservoir is up to 77% according to the newspaper.  The moss on our garry oaks is running amok, not only on the north side, but all over!

We have been to Funchal a few times, once on December 10, 2019 and we walked around inspecting the Christmas decorations, so I'll post some of my pictures.  They really went all out.

IMG_7624.thumb.JPG.e67c9cfa8e53648743997c0fdad0421e.JPG 

IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.9aa213b513536160e341da68b1fe3e28.JPG

IMG_7673.thumb.JPG.9476e200797345efd817afd2631ae95b.JPG    

IMG_7633.thumb.JPG.d1a97a2cfeedf09630226111fd583e60.JPG

IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.c309d8b79f00dc1e938c931b9f586def.JPG

IMG_7665.thumb.JPG.be1767ae3d7afe139e26b24904a17982.JPG

IMG_7630.thumb.JPG.102c35de2773d5701c9c0f71e09f318c.JPG

Lots of flowers blooming too, in December.

IMG_7628.thumb.JPG.de91920fac659ef06e023970d61c8225.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Annie, @marshhawk, you mentioned yesterday your awl nerve - I looked that up but can't find it.  I had surgery a long time ago to "release" the ulnar nerve in my elbow, which helped a bit, but I still have trouble with my left arm, shoulder to pinkie, at least I can still use it.  

Jacqui, @kazu, hope you're not too bruised up from your fall.  Was Ivan involved?  And I was wondering, too, how your elbow was doing?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dobiemom said:

At the airport gate. Left the house on time (3am) but had to return after 12 min, I forgot my watch and ring. No traffic until we got to the airport but it wasn’t too bad. 

I actually got everything done last night and went to bed at a decent hour so I slept in my bed instead of the recliner. (If I go to bed after DH I’ll sleep in the living room so I don’t disturb him.)

I’ll try to check in later.  

I know you will be there by the time you see this - I hope all went well with our flight and you have safely arrived.

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

We visited a bar, where everyone was given a rather hefty sample of an alcohol made there, a type of rum,

I’m surprised they didn’t serve you Madeira - the fortified wine of the island.  Some of it is really strong - nearly like a port.  

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Yesterday our youngest grandson turned 18. He weighed 4 pounds when he was born and now is the tallest at almost 6 feet.

Happy belated birthday to your grandson.

Yesterday I had the first of my dental procedures which was surgery to clean out an abscess  and hope it works so I don’t have to have the implant removed and start all over again. $2050 for yesterday . I have an appointment in January to have more work done and that will be $5000. And that won’t be the end because then I need some implants. I think I could sail around the world for what my teeth will cost. On a soft and cold food diet, antibiotics, but doing ok.

Yikes Carol!  Take care, please.  It will be worth the money in the long run, I hope.

Our oldest grandson who is 27 informed us yesterday that he is planning to volunteer at a kibbutz in Israel to help out the country. Since he has duel citizenship, I’m really worried the army will grab him even though he’s been exempt so far because he doesn’t and hasn’t lived there but only visited. 

Bless your grandson for volunteering.  I don’t blame you for being worried.  I hope he will be safe 🙏 

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Jacqui, @kazu, hope you're not too bruised up from your fall.  Was Ivan involved?  And I was wondering, too, how your elbow was doing?

Thanks Ann and all the other kind souls who expressed concern.  Just a bit of soreness.  i realized I was going to go and went as loose and as protective as possible.  Not Ivan’s fault at all.  I just didn’t realize the bottom of my driveway was getting icy.  I should have had my eyes on the ground, I guess.

Elbow is as good as it’s going to get.  Certain things bother it because of the scar embedded into the fascia tissue and it’s hoped that with time it may loosen.  I’m not betting on that but it works and I can do 90% of what I like to do and have full range of motion in it.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from a very soggy Sedro-Woolley. The wind is going and the rain is coming down  - some of it with snow mixed in. The snow is just a momentary 'blip" but the wind and rain are the forecast for most of the day and into tomorrow. It's predicted to be at least an inch of rain today. 

I mailed the Christmas cards for Canada yesterday but still have the US ones to do. Today is sorting out purchases and organizing to get a couple of boxes shipped to BC. Still have a few things to come so can't ship to mid-week at the earliest. 

Tonight is the Skagit Symphony for the Christmas concert and looking forward to that. Meanwhile I'll stay in the house (except to walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail) and watch Mother Nature make life interesting. I also plan on watching the Port Everglades sail away today. 

Karen

• Like 22

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I haven't sent Christmas Cards in years, just a few Christmas greetings by email or WhatsApp. Lost and Found is important when you lose something. Genocide prevention should be every day. Not sure I understand the quote. Yes to the meal and wine, pass on the drink. I have been to Portugal, but not Madeira. 2 good days in history, particularly the computer demo.

It's warm (59F) but cloudy. I think there was a rain shower earlier. I had to do computer battle again. The same issue of non-responsiveness occurred this morning. So I rolled back the update again (that I had added back once I got up and running yesterday) and now it works. I'm leaving that update off and will see what happens. I got better sleep last night, perhaps a combo of ibuprofen and Benadryl - about 4 hours. No specific plans today other than again trying to declutter the dining room. The rollator just came, so I'll see what assembly is needed.

@grapau27 Nice photos and good ones of you and Pauline.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your photos. And congrats to FC Dallas for another win, and to ND.

@kazu Be careful! It pains me to hear you say you went splat! Nice photos from Madeira.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you can find the missing things. Safe travels to Jacksonville and I hope your tests turn out good. 

@ger_77 Too bad Parker didn't get to see the holiday train. Enjoy your dinner tonight with Wayne and Fran.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@0106 Lovely photos from Madeira.

@cruising sister That's so nice to thank assisted living for looking after Molly.

@Nickelpenny Enjoy that last full day onboard.

@mamaofami Belated Happy Birthday to your DGS. Oh my on your dental work. Not only the cost, but the discomfort you're enduring. Prayers for your oldest DGS that he stays out of harm's way.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. Makes us feel like we were there.

@RMLincoln Good news about the condo, even with the few hiccups. 

@Cruising-along Nice photos. 

@cunnorl That was a great way for your sister to thank the first responders.

@durangoscots You sound stressed. I hope all the trip planning and travel goes smoothly.

@Vict0riann Thanks for sharing your photos. 

@luvteaching Enjoy the Symphony tonight.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 9

Good morning and thanks all!  I really appreciate all the beautiful photos of Madeira.  I had a Portuguese colleague who said it was her favourite,  I would love to visit! 

@kazu glad you didn’t hurt yourself too badly!  I hate the ice!  

The snow is beautiful and we are now in a winter wonderland.   

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_6466.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I haven't sent Christmas Cards in years, just a few Christmas greetings by email or WhatsApp. Lost and Found is important when you lose something. Genocide prevention should be every day. Not sure I understand the quote. Yes to the meal and wine, pass on the drink. I have been to Portugal, but not Madeira. 2 good days in history, particularly the computer demo.

It's warm (59F) but cloudy. I think there was a rain shower earlier. I had to do computer battle again. The same issue of non-responsiveness occurred this morning. So I rolled back the update again (that I had added back once I got up and running yesterday) and now it works. I'm leaving that update off and will see what happens. I got better sleep last night, perhaps a combo of ibuprofen and Benadryl - about 4 hours. No specific plans today other than again trying to declutter the dining room. The rollator just came, so I'll see what assembly is needed.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your photos. And congrats to FC Dallas for another win, and to ND.

@kazu Be careful! It pains me to hear you say you went splat! Nice photos from Madeira.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you can find the missing things. Safe travels to Jacksonville and I hope your tests turn out good. 

@ger_77 Too bad Parker didn't get to see the holiday train. Enjoy your dinner tonight with Wayne and Fran.

@cruising sister That's so nice to thank assisted living for looking after Molly.

@mamaofami Belated Happy Birthday to your DGS. Oh my on your dental work. Not only the cost, but the discomfort you're enduring. Prayers for your oldest DGS that he stays out of harm's way.

@durangoscots You sound stressed. I hope all the trip planning and travel goes smoothly.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV.

Pleased to hear you got more sleep last night.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you for  the news of the day!  It is raining here, and the reservoir is up to 77% according to the newspaper.  The moss on our garry oaks is running amok, not only on the north side, but all over!

We have been to Funchal a few times, once on December 10, 2019 and we walked around inspecting the Christmas decorations, so I'll post some of my pictures.  They really went all out.

IMG_7624.thumb.JPG.e67c9cfa8e53648743997c0fdad0421e.JPG 

IMG_7623.thumb.JPG.9aa213b513536160e341da68b1fe3e28.JPG

IMG_7673.thumb.JPG.9476e200797345efd817afd2631ae95b.JPG    

IMG_7633.thumb.JPG.d1a97a2cfeedf09630226111fd583e60.JPG

IMG_7663.thumb.JPG.c309d8b79f00dc1e938c931b9f586def.JPG

IMG_7665.thumb.JPG.be1767ae3d7afe139e26b24904a17982.JPG

IMG_7630.thumb.JPG.102c35de2773d5701c9c0f71e09f318c.JPG

Lots of flowers blooming too, in December.

IMG_7628.thumb.JPG.de91920fac659ef06e023970d61c8225.JPG

Nice photos Ann.

Madeira is known as the Garden Island and flowers bloom all year around.

It also has many Top Class hotels.

• Like 7

We have been to Madeira half a dozen times and like the Azores it is a wonderful Island to arrive at either as first port going East from or last going West to Fort Lauderdale . We have explored the Island with the same wonderful guide and friend Daniel .

The nature of the Island with all of its exotic flora is just amazing very green and I believe the only place in Europe  that grows lots of bananas . The times we have been there we went to different areas of the island.

Some of our favorite places to visit were , the Mercado in Funchal , Porto Moniz , Santana , Sao Vicente  , Machico and Camara de Lobos  ( and on the way back to the ship don't forget to have a few sips of the special Madeira drink Poncha and visit the Henriques & Henriques Madeira winery ) 

P1080628.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

DSCN7474.JPG

DSCN7851.JPG

DSCN2075.jpg

DSCN7457.JPG

They say this a great tasting fish but don't think I would love to see it on my plate .......

DSCN1987.JPG

DSCN7500.jpg

IMG_2415.JPG

DSCN2027.JPG

DSCN7923.JPG

DSCN7514.jpg

DSCN7881.JPG

DSCN2064.JPG

DSCN2088.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

The pictures are from a couple of different tours that we made with Daniel and they are not in any particular order , with the exception of our visit to Henriques which is always last on our program .

Have a great weekend all ! 
Tony 😁

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  We are both are in recovery mode after this morning.  After procrastinating, we had to replace the broken bolt that held the toilet tank in place.  After seeing the other one and the two in the toilet in the spare bathroom, we replaced all four.  DH did two of them and I did the other two.  We also changed the seats for the new ones DH bought last week.  All that bending over did not do either of our backs any favors, but we'll recover.  I also sent in the request for the obc from the Carnival stock this morning. 

It's not bad outside in the sun, but the wind has come up.  I may just try to do some of the things inside that I haven't had time to do.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I wondered if there was a special meal in the Pinnacle for Valentine's Day since there are no time slots available and haven't been.  Either that or people got to them way before we did.

Debbie, I think you might be right, but I have a hunch that it is a special meal in all the specialty restaurants since none of them had any openings.  Actually, I don't know about Rudy's since we didn't try to reserve a time there.  Even on other nights, the times between 6 pm and 8 pm were taken on quite a few days.

5 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Yesterday our youngest grandson turned 18. He weighed 4 pounds when he was born and now is the tallest at almost 6 feet.

Yesterday I had the first of my dental procedures which was surgery to clean out an abscess  and hope it works so I don’t have to have the implant removed and start all over again. $2050 for yesterday . I have an appointment in January to have more work done and that will be $5000. And that won’t be the end because then I need some implants. I think I could sail around the world for what my teeth will cost. On a soft and cold food diet, antibiotics, but doing ok.

Our oldest grandson who is 27 informed us yesterday that he is planning to volunteer at a kibbutz in Israel to help out the country. Since he has duel citizenship, I’m really worried the army will grab him even though he’s been exempt so far because he doesn’t and hasn’t lived there but only visited. 

Carol, I hope yesterday's procedure works and the implant can be saved.  I hope the upcoming work will not be too painful, and will help you save some of you teeth.  A belated HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY  to your grandson.  I admire your oldest grandson for volunteering to help at a kibbutz, and I'm sending positive thoughts for his safety and that he will not be "drafted" into the IDF.

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda, not sure Steve would be interested, but supposedly this hole in the sun is the size of six Earths! I would imagine it would be spectacular when viewing through your own telescope!

IMG_2171.jpeg.01f991a4471f453c7518d3b777cf782a.jpeg

Ann, that is an awesome picture of the sun.  DH has his newest little telescope out looking at the sun.  However, he has a specialized solar telescope that would do a better job.  We hope to get it set up outside in a day or two.

4 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@kazu Jacqui, so glad you weren’t hurt going splat!  I was just thinking last night that it’s almost a year since your elbow debacle. I hope it continues to improve albeit slowly. Thanks for the good wishes for our trek to the Philadelphia airport Wednesday!  I’m more nervous about it than I would usually be driving to an airport, guessing because it’s all so unfamiliar. 

Woke to a text this foggy morning that the condo buyers accepted new terms after the inspection! We think part of the inspection is actually wrong but can’t prove it from here so we addressed what we work we could order in a timely manner (done yesterday) and offered them a small price discount for the other two items, and they have agreed to it all!  Yay!  Tentative closing Dec 29!  Would love to be done with it this year. 

Had a little better sleep last night 7 hrs. Will try to do both a little unpacking today and some pre-packing for the trip. I’m missing some things, I’m sure they’re in a box somewhere- lots of boxes to choose from!  

Granddaughter and her in-laws are to be disembarking MSC today- I’m eager to hear how they liked it. Other granddaughter and her “groom” are flying out today to San Antonio!  I’m so excited for them- young love, great hopes for beginning their life together!  

@Cruzin Terri prayers for a smooth and successful trip to Mayo!  
@ottahand7Go Ravens! Wonderful that John is stabilizing. 
@marshhawk Annie, love your stories!  Hope you both can keep getting better! 
@Jazzy Vanessa, you need some good news 🙏

Blessings for all in need, in weather, in wars, in pain. 
Cheers to all celebrating. Life is Good🌈
Smooth travels to all away!  

Thanks all for being here, for the encouragement and sharing, and all the beautiful photos- we’ve enjoyed beautiful Funchal too, great memories!  (As a geologist I’ve been absolutely thrilled to be walking on the tippy-tops of the mid-Atlantic ridge underwater mountain chain! Just magical for me!)

Be safe!  Maureen 

Maureen, that is good news the buyers accepted your counter offer.  That should relieve some of your stress.  I'm glad you slept better last night.

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Mailed my Christmas Cards yesterday. Havent lost anything lately. Have not been to todays port but it is  a scheduled stop on a booked cruise in2025. Thanks for the pictures, always helpful.

@kazu  Hope you did not hurt yourself with the fall. 

@mamaofami  Your grandson must be very special to volunteer. I will keep him in my prayers.

Tonite is our annual boat parade. Looks like great weather for it. We are going to a friends house. They have a great location on the river. Plus we can walk because the traffic will be insane. Will be fun.

My sister made a big dinner and dropped it off to the First Responders who helped when my niece had her baby. She made lasagna, pasta, meatballs, garlic bread, salad  and lots of cookies. They were very surprised and thankful. The Police and Fire Chief both called her to thank her. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, I hope you have a good time watching the boat parade.  How nice of your sister to fix a big dinner for the first responders who helped your niece.

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for an Interesting collection of photos of the island.

Thank you, Graham.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks Ann and all the other kind souls who expressed concern.  Just a bit of soreness.  i realized I was going to go and went as loose and as protective as possible.  Not Ivan’s fault at all.  I just didn’t realize the bottom of my driveway was getting icy.  I should have had my eyes on the ground, I guess.

Elbow is as good as it’s going to get.  Certain things bother it because of the scar embedded into the fascia tissue and it’s hoped that with time it may loosen.  I’m not betting on that but it works and I can do 90% of what I like to do and have full range of motion in it.

Jacqui, I hope the scar tissue in your elbow loosens up as time passes.  I'm glad you have full range of motion and can do most things.

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning from a very soggy Sedro-Woolley. The wind is going and the rain is coming down  - some of it with snow mixed in. The snow is just a momentary 'blip" but the wind and rain are the forecast for most of the day and into tomorrow. It's predicted to be at least an inch of rain today. 

I mailed the Christmas cards for Canada yesterday but still have the US ones to do. Today is sorting out purchases and organizing to get a couple of boxes shipped to BC. Still have a few things to come so can't ship to mid-week at the earliest. 

Tonight is the Skagit Symphony for the Christmas concert and looking forward to that. Meanwhile I'll stay in the house (except to walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail) and watch Mother Nature make life interesting. I also plan on watching the Port Everglades sail away today. 

Karen

Karen, enjoy the Skagit Symphony tonight and be careful in the rain.

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I really appreciate all the beautiful photos of Madeira.  I had a Portuguese colleague who said it was her favourite,  I would love to visit! 

@kazu glad you didn’t hurt yourself too badly!  I hate the ice!  

The snow is beautiful and we are now in a winter wonderland.   

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_6466.jpeg

Brenda, as I said before, the snow is beautiful, especially from sunny Arizona.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, I'm glad you got a little more sleep.  I hope uninstalling the update helps keep the computer working.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

While getting the house ready for the sitter I pulled out the wine fridge to clean behind it.  I found lost treasures and the kids are happy.

20231209_132024.thumb.jpg.b3e394e49cce93a812597d2c3080f3c7.jpg

Jake, it must be like an early Christmas for the kitties.

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures of Madeira today.  We have enjoyed all our visits to that lovely island.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

While I was writing the last post, DH got these pictures of the sun with his little telescope.  If he had used the solar telescope, it would have take a couple of hours to get it set up and get the pictures.

The first one is obviously the sun.  The area Ann @cat shepard had in her picture is in the lower right of the sun among the five sun spots.  The second picture is the same picture which I cropped so it focused on the area of the sun spots.

1702154823443.jpg.d1cf96d2132c805d00c34336a127debf.jpg

sunspots.jpg.c0b44ca319e6cc6fca370e8d333fed3c.jpg

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
the Mercado in Funchal , Porto Moniz , Santana , Sao Vicente  , Machico and Camara de Lobos  

Those are beautiful spots.

IMG_3942.jpg

Great pic of you and Daniel.  He and his team are awesome !!!  

DSCN7500.jpg

Multi quote wouldn’t work in Tony’s post.  Not sure why - so I did my comments in red.  Grrr..

Garden club warning - this flower is gorgeous - I bought a few to take to onboard.  The stems are rock hard and impossible to cut.  I had to buy new flower trimmers in our next port to trim them (made sure I was following the 4” rule) and then “fight” with security to get them back.  The flowers last forever but the stems are rock hard so if you like to freshen your flowers, I don’t recommend this one to purchase when in Madeira.

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

got better sleep last night, perhaps a combo of ibuprofen and Benadryl - about 4 hours. No specific plans today other than again trying to declutter the dining room. The rollator just came, so I'll see what assembly is needed.

I am really glad to hear your sleep was better, Vanessa 👍 But 4 hours is not enough.  You need more to heal.  I pray you can get there 🙏. Rollators shouldn’t need much assembly - I sure hope yours doesn’t.  Mine is still in the basement from my time coming home last year.   Wish we were closer.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

While I was writing the last post, DH got these pictures of the sun with his little telescope.  If he had used the solar telescope, it would have take a couple of hours to get it set up and get the pictures.

The first one is obviously the sun.  The area Ann @cat shepard had in her picture is in the lower right of the sun among the five sun spots.  The second picture is the same picture which I cropped so it focused on the area of the sun spots.

Lenda

Lenda please tell your DH how much we appreciate his photos.  They're amazing!

I also want to thank everyone who posted photos today of Funchal.  If I tried to name everyone, I know I would leave someone out -- so thank you all!  Great photos and gives me ideas of what to see if we get back again.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

hope you can find the missing things. Safe travels to Jacksonville and I hope your tests turn out good. 

Thanks Vanessa,  I have no idea where to look at this point.  Some day when i am looking for something else, they will appear.  Thanks for the good wishes for traveling.

Terri

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Lenda please tell your DH how much we appreciate his photos.  They're amazing!

I also want to thank everyone who posted photos today of Funchal.  If I tried to name everyone, I know I would leave someone out -- so thank you all!  Great photos and gives me ideas of what to see if we get back again.

Carolyn, DH says thank you.  He reads the Daily, but doesn't post.

Lenda

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda, Steve really took amazing pics! Wow!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1