First RCI cruise....No burgers, no hots, no fries, & pizza is worse than Tombstone

On a day with "slim pickins" in the WJ on Brilliance last week, I actually ate a beef hot dog that was really tasty....so much so that I asked for more info about it. I was told that it was Roland's brand. Anyone know anything of this brand? I tried google and didn't come up with anything.

On a day with "slim pickins" in the WJ on Brilliance last week, I actually ate a beef hot dog that was really tasty....so much so that I asked for more info about it. I was told that it was Roland's brand. Anyone know anything of this brand? I tried google and didn't come up with anything.

Roland works in the kitchen on Brilliance - here he is by the crew pool on his off day.

fat-shirtless-guy-eating-cheeseburger-1.4.jpg

It sounds like you're hoping to have a horrible cruise. Did someone talk you into this cruise and you want to say "I told you so"?

I've only sailed on RCI. I'm taking my first Carnival cruise next year with family. I'm going in with an open mind knowing there are some things I'll miss and some things I'll like better. I do like having more food options near the pool, OTOH I wish they had more pools.

I don't get it. You seem to prefer Carnival but you've booked with RC? Do you want someone to convince you to go on a cruise that you are already convinced will disappoint you? Any cruise is what you make of it. I wouldn't book a cruise if I had doubts about it living up to my expectations or already knew I would be missing something that seems to be important to you. We've gone on different lines, although it's been years since we've been on Carnival but there are people that find a line they prefer and stick with it. Nothing wrong with that and if you prefer Carnival, feel you are going to be longing for Guy's Burgers every day, you're not going to find it on any RC ship and might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Well said!

Personally, I don't cruise for hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. I can eat that junk at home. Unless the OP is 19 years old (or less), this is a really silly question.

Exactly. I’ve been cruising for over 25 years on a number of lines and have never eaten a hot dog or pizza on any of them and rarely a hamburger (although DS, an adult, was quite happy with the WJ burgers). My take is that mom and dad booked this cruise and junior is having a tantrum over it.

Personally, I don't cruise for hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. I can eat that junk at home. Unless the OP is 19 years old (or less), this is a really silly question.

Everyone is different, of course, and we can all eat what we want on board. But, while I like hamburgers and hot dogs, I have never had either of them on a ship. There are simply too many other choices and the opportunity to try something different.

It's not just those who are under 19. A few weeks ago on the Rhapsody, I saw a number of adults eating double cheeseburgers, hot dogs and fries. That's just fine - I'll get my fat and cholesterol from other options!

^ this, a thousand times. with all the terrific options in the buffet and MDR for lunches and dinner, plus various snacks nibbles available elsewhere, I look forward to eating different things than I get at home regularly

I admit that I don't eat fast food on any cruises and rarely outside of them(just cannot afford so much calories at one meal), but from what I've seen people enjoy burgers and fries in buffet.

If you are looking for the great bbq right on lido deck near pools check out NCL.

No great free food anymore. The nickel and diming is out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best burger ever in MDR today.

Haven't seen medium rare in ages

Mariner of the Arabian Seasa2980d5a49bdbb6b0d7d8b92d6c0de8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But they aren't as good as they used to be.

They used to be my diabolical crack. Now I can easily say "no".

Laura just waits until the drop a new batch. Now they drop one as she walks toward them. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Although stated a bit on the hostile side, I understand the OP's concerns. After seven Carnival cruises and Carnival being my only cruise line experience, I am excited to try RC for the first time in January. Frankly, I did not book this cruise because of the line, I booked it because it was the same price as my seven day Carnival cruise with two more days at sea and vastly superior ports. I have learned that I prefer smaller ships to reduce crowding and will be on Serenade of the seas.

I have noticed some red flags in my research though. I do not care for fast food such as burgers when cruising, I am looking for a more elegant meal which Carnival is certainly no longer delivering, but I have tried Guy's and it is one darn good burger and my wife loves the Blue Iguana. Everything on RC appears to be a little more expensive, gratuities, drink plan, burgers. Free food choices appear to be hard to get later in the evening. Several people have commented that they thought food was better on Carnival which is disheartening, because food has gotten bad on Carnival. I am amazed at how Carnival is able to make a beautiful chocolate dessert on the buffet taste so completely like nothing. Now I do love Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, so they know how to make a good dessert.

Here is what I am hoping to see on RC. A little more dignified crowd. Sorry Carnival loyalists, we are not the most sophisticated bunch on the sea and although I can cruise just fine with those people, a little nicer crowd would be welcome. Just a little less hairy chest and a little more string quartet. I am hoping the food is a little more upscale. Everything is so bland on Carnival lately. I am also looking for a better loyalty program. Carnival has watered platinum down to the point of me really not caring if I get there. Lastly, I am hoping the shows are better. At least they should be different. You know what I saw in March on the Elation? The same stage shows I saw in 2013 on the Pride. The same show!

In actuality though, RC will have to be pretty special to keep me from booking my next cruise primarily based on the price per day at sea. When it comes down to brass tacks, me on the sea at the best price is the winner.

The Dog House had some of the best hot dogs I’ve had anywhere let alone on a cruise ship.

The fries were always excellent whether from Windjammer or Wipe Out. Warm, crispy goodness.

The pizza was just ok, DW wasn’t a huge fan but wasn’t the worst she has had.

The burgers I will agree with (on Oasis), cafeteria style service just wasn’t good. But with 6,000 people on board I think it’s the only effective way to do it.

Dear all,

First RCI cruise......so from my understanding....there is no fresh grilled burgers and fries (like Guy's joint).....cafeteria style burgers and hots probably in some big metal container of "juice" on the buffet and soggy fries......No Blue Iguana or anything comparable to that on RCI.....

What great "FREE" food items does RCI have?!?! What is there to eat for lunch?!?!!? What am I missing here?!?!

This poster is a carnival fan. If you look at there post history it’s all bashing royal. I would not look at it that deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Setting aside OP's tone and the presumption that the food (and thus the cruise) will be terrible, I don't find the question silly at all. There have been plenty of times on past cruises where I just wanted something quick like a slice of pizza or a burger rather than the production that is/can be the MDR. Will subpar offerings ruin my cruise? No, but its certainly something I'd like to be aware of before hand.

And the "I can eat that at home" comment is always weird. I can also eat fish, steak, pasta, sushi, etc at home, but I'd certainly hope that the offerings on RCI are satisfactory. Unless the key to that statement was the implication that the burgers, hot dogs, and pizza on RCI are, in fact, "junk" in which case you've answered OP's question.

Although stated a bit on the hostile side, I understand the OP's concerns. After seven Carnival cruises and Carnival being my only cruise line experience, I am excited to try RC for the first time in January. Frankly, I did not book this cruise because of the line, I booked it because it was the same price as my seven day Carnival cruise with two more days at sea and vastly superior ports. I have learned that I prefer smaller ships to reduce crowding and will be on Serenade of the seas. I can understand being hesitant as I was the same way when we sailed carnival for the first time last year. I agree that Guy's burgers are good and the pizza is better on carnival but the lines are ridiculous for both, so there's that I guess. Pizza on RCCL is served until 3am (on the ships I have been on) and Park Cafe is 24/7 as far as I can recall, plus there is room service for a nominal fee and the room service food is good.

I have noticed some red flags in my research though. I do not care for fast food such as burgers when cruising, I am looking for a more elegant meal which Carnival is certainly no longer delivering, but I have tried Guy's and it is one darn good burger and my wife loves the Blue Iguana. Everything on RC appears to be a little more expensive, gratuities, drink plan, burgers. Free food choices appear to be hard to get later in the evening. Several people have commented that they thought food was better on Carnival which is disheartening, because food has gotten bad on Carnival. I am amazed at how Carnival is able to make a beautiful chocolate dessert on the buffet taste so completely like nothing. Now I do love Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, so they know how to make a good dessert. After having eaten in both MDR's I find the food quality on Carnival to be very good. I like RCCL better because they offer some things I love that Carnival did not on our sailing (escargot, scallops gratin, creme brulee, etc) and I give the edge to RCCL.

Here is what I am hoping to see on RC. A little more dignified crowd. Sorry Carnival loyalists, we are not the most sophisticated bunch on the sea and although I can cruise just fine with those people, a little nicer crowd would be welcome. Just a little less hairy chest and a little more string quartet. I am hoping the food is a little more upscale. Everything is so bland on Carnival lately. I am also looking for a better loyalty program. Carnival has watered platinum down to the point of me really not caring if I get there. Lastly, I am hoping the shows are better. At least they should be different. You know what I saw in March on the Elation? The same stage shows I saw in 2013 on the Pride. The same show! I feel like the crowd on RCCL is a bit more upscale in decor and clientele but that is my opinion of course. The passengers were more friendly and I enjoyed the staff more. We saw our cabin steward the first day and not again on Carnival but on RCCL our steward was always around, our room is cleaned twice a day without having to fill out a form or ask and he (they've all been males so far) remembers our names. AS for the shows on RCCL they are top notch, I went to the comedy show on Carnival and it was good but the other shows I left early. We try and see a show almost nightly on RCCL.

All in all RCCL is a better fit for us (I am 42 and my husband is 51). And while I really enjoyed our Carnival cruise, I will not rule out sailing with them again, I felt a longing for RCCl when we docked next to them or one sailed by. Maybe it is because I am used to them and had such fond memories but I just love the atmosphere and feel the service is excellent.

In actuality though, RC will have to be pretty special to keep me from booking my next cruise primarily based on the price per day at sea. When it comes down to brass tacks, me on the sea at the best price is the winner.

I am sure you will enjoy your RCCL cruise, even if it is different from Carnival. You will likely find things you prefer on RCCL and things you miss from Carnival but no one line can do it all!

After a three year absence from RC and two cruises on Magic, I have to admit I will miss Guys and the pizza on Carnival along with other wonderful included food options. :) What I wont miss is the overcrowded ships and lines for EVERYTHING, ther horrible Lido buffet design, the tiny pool that doesnt have lift for the disabled like RC does, the "you cant get there from here" broken up design of Carnival ships and the wild and crazy decor. I think I will do just fine all week without a fresh burger or pizza. :) Sorrentos is pretty bad for sure. Im just looking forward to Harmony of the Seas and my FIRST oceanview balcony! :)

Although stated a bit on the hostile side, I understand the OP's concerns. After seven Carnival cruises and Carnival being my only cruise line experience, I am excited to try RC for the first time in January. Frankly, I did not book this cruise because of the line, I booked it because it was the same price as my seven day Carnival cruise with two more days at sea and vastly superior ports. I have learned that I prefer smaller ships to reduce crowding and will be on Serenade of the seas.

I have noticed some red flags in my research though. I do not care for fast food such as burgers when cruising, I am looking for a more elegant meal which Carnival is certainly no longer delivering, but I have tried Guy's and it is one darn good burger and my wife loves the Blue Iguana. Everything on RC appears to be a little more expensive, gratuities, drink plan, burgers. Free food choices appear to be hard to get later in the evening. Several people have commented that they thought food was better on Carnival which is disheartening, because food has gotten bad on Carnival. I am amazed at how Carnival is able to make a beautiful chocolate dessert on the buffet taste so completely like nothing. Now I do love Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, so they know how to make a good dessert.

Best free desserts on Royal are at sea day lunches at the main Dining Room. they have a great salad bar at the main dining room for lunch also. As far as good burger on RC, we treated ourselves for embarkaation day lunch in Chops at $17.70 a person on a cruise planner special. it was totally worth it. I am not going to fret over a few dollars. Hubby had bacon cheeseburger and chocolate cake. I had shrimp cocktail, filet mignon over caesar salad, and cheesecake. Atmosphere and service was great.

Here is what I am hoping to see on RC. A little more dignified crowd. Sorry Carnival loyalists, we are not the most sophisticated bunch on the sea and although I can cruise just fine with those people, a little nicer crowd would be welcome. Just a little less hairy chest and a little more string quartet. I am hoping the food is a little more upscale.

If you want a more dignified crowd and string quartets, you should check out Celebrity.

In actuality though, RC will have to be pretty special to keep me from booking my next cruise primarily based on the price per day at sea. When it comes down to brass tacks, me on the sea at the best price is the winner. You get what you pay for.

I have to admit that Guy's Burger's and Fries, which are free blow away Johnny Rockets which you have to pay for. That being said, I wouldn't even step into Johnny Rockets on land as I've been disappointed in their chain to begin with, so there's no expectation that it would be better on sea when it blows on land. Blue Iguana is good, and, in my opinion, even better, is their Indian food station. Also, Carnival's sea day brunch is pretty impressive.

That being said, Royal holds its own with things Carnival doesn't do. One of my favorites, is that Royal Caribbean has FRESH MOZZARELLA at lunch every day (or every day lunch is served in the MDR). Its part of their salad bar. Also, another favorite, they have escargot EVERY NIGHT. The hotdog truck on Anthem was pretty good too and Park Cafe has a kicking Roast beef sandwich.

Ultimately, they are both good products.

And what's wrong with Tombstone Pizza, I love that stuff!!!

Just a little less hairy chest and a little more string quartet.

If you want a more dignified crowd and string quartets, you should check out Celebrity.

Just a little more string quartet, not full on string quartet.

I actually started this cruise search for my 25 anniversary January cruise looking at Celebrity, Holland, and Cunard but what stopped me from booking them is that in every youtube video of the two specific ships I was considering appeared to be filled with people sitting in chairs reading. I want more activity while cruising than that and when it came to price I could take two cruises for the price of one.

Now Cunard was tempting, they have a transatlantic that fits my schedule just right and for a great price, but the idea of leaving the cold to spend my cruise week in the cold north Atlantic dissuaded me. I love sitting on my balcony and doing that in a 22 degree gale just does not sound like fun.