Lock luggage?

cstj

2 minutes ago, cstj said:

Are zip ties acceptable to lock luggage, or is that not allowed?

Do passengers lock their luggage anymore?

Yes, you can lock your luggage with zip ties. 

The cruise line won't open your luggage. If the X-Ray shows something they are concerned about, they will hold the luggage and have you open it in front of them. See the "naughty room" posts. 

We lock our luggage with TSA locks.

Edited by Dat Cruisin Couple

The main purpose of the lock would be to keep your luggage from accidentally popping open. Any lock  will do. The porters and the crew don’t have time to go into anyone’s luggage, so zip ties will serve the purpose. 

If you ever fly, or might in the future, then buy TSA locks. 

No one at a port or on a cruise ship has a key to open a TSA lock, but you’d be called to open your luggage, anyway. 

33 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Let's face it, if somebody really wants to get into your suitcase, they will, zip tie or TSA locks.

This ^^^

I don't lock my luggage, even when flying internationally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big_G said:

We don't put anything of value in our luggage so the zip ties are more to avoid them opening up then for theft.

This is my argument when OH says it is not worth locking the cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Let's face it, if somebody really wants to get into your suitcase, they will, zip tie or TSA locks.

This is EXACTLY our theory.  My husband travels a lot for work, and he stopped locking luggage after all the new 9/11 rules were implemented.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

Yes, you can lock your luggage with zip ties. 

The cruise line won't open your luggage. If the X-Ray shows something they are concerned about, they will hold the luggage and have you open it in front of them. See the "naughty room" posts. 

We lock our luggage with TSA locks.

That's not true anymore.  On a Spring TA this year, they rifled thru my wife's suitcase, messing everything up and left a note saying they didn't find anything.  The concierge gave her a voucher for free pressing.    I use TSA locks.  Hadn't used one on hers because we felt safe loading it onto the cruise -- no more.  🍷

We're ambivalent on this.  We've had the TSA open our luggage and inspect a bottle of vanilla we bought in Mexico.  They left a note saying they were in our luggage.  What they didn't report was they didn't seal the bottle and everything (mostly formal stuff) was smelling really good.  We filed a claim, but it was denied.

17 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I lock my suitcases - even the one I keep with me.

Why bother?  Because if someone wants to steal out of luggage, they go for YOURS first, since you didn't bother to lock them.  Thank you.

Or, they figure that the unlocked ones don't have anything worthwhile.😏

Edited by time4u2go