Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I hope next time you post, he has been discharged but at least he is getting good care.

Thank you, cooked some meals yesterday for mum and dad and going over to visit now.  Hoping for good news today 🙏 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Our granddaughter from Connecticut was just presented with the Central Ct Conference All Conference Team award in recognition of Outstanding Performance and Athletic Achievement in the sport of Field Hockey. 🏒🏒

Congrats to her. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Wow! that's a lot to take in.  I need to do more reading.  I really liked that Old Fashioned I went back to it over and over again on Ovation.  So if I understand you correctly Bourbon is Whiskey but Whiskey isn't necessarily Bourbon.  Would that then mean that Bourbon is better than Whiskey and that I should avoid American Whiskey not considered Bourbon?  I'm going to do my best to experiment.  I had a friend years ago that wouldn't drink anything but Bushmills Irish Whiskey.  You mentioned Irish Whiskey but made no comment.  Also, what is the difference between single malt and blended.

In case it wasn't obvious from Greg's reply, whiskey (or sometimes spelled whisky) is the over arching style of liquor.  Bourbon is a subset of whiskey that meets the criteria that Greg mention.  Scotch whisky (aka Scotch), Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, Tennessee whisky, Japanese whiskey, etc. are all other forms of whiskey that either informally have a common approach to distilling, or in some cases have more formally mandated requirements for ingredients, aging, etc.  Scotch for example must be distilled in Scotland to be called Scotch.  Also adding to Greg...the taste of a single malt can vary, sometimes fairly significantly, from one batch to another.  Blended whiskeys are designed to have a more consistent taste since variation in any one malted whiskey is minimized when blended with other malted whiskeys. 

My approach to learning to like bourbon started with Tennessee whiskey...Jack Daniels.  I liked a Jack and Ginger cocktail.  The ginger ale helps "water down" the whiskey taste.  I then "graduated" to Old Fashioneds and Manhattans with bourbon.  They're still cocktails with mixers, but the mixers are limited so that the taste of the bourbon stands out.  Next step for me was bourbon on the rocks.  Ice kept the bourbon cold (so easier to drink) and watered it down a bit as the ice melted.  I then started moving to bourbon neat...just bourbon in a glass.  I'm still drinking the lower proof (lower alcohol by volume) bourbons (typically in the 90s range) as the higher proof (100+) is a little "hot" for me.  I'm working my way up to enjoying the higher proof stuff.

There are many other bourbon cocktails out there.  A Manhattan and an Old Fashioned are perhaps the most well known, but others include more flavorful mixers that minimize the bourbon taste.  Micheline does not like bourbon at all, even though she takes sip of my drink regularly to confirm that she still doesn't like it.  I ordered a smoked pecan old fashioned the other day at a restaurant that was very sweet (almost too sweet for me) and had a very smoky, pecan taste to it.  Micheline took a sip and said that she could almost drink that, since the bourbon taste was largely masked.  

Other good bourbon cocktails include the Mint Julep (a Kentucky Derby favorite), a Kentucky Mule (a Moscow mule but with Bourbon instead of Vodka), and a Kentucky Lemonade (essentially bourbon and lemonade).  I've seen several bourbon cocktails with blackberry and raspberry.  One of my favorites, that I made by accident, is a Raspberry Bourbon Lemonade.  2 oz bourbon, 1 oz Chambord, 4 oz lemonade.  Royal bars tend to not have lemonade, so I would bring a couple of glasses back to my cabin from the Windjammer.  I'd bring a glass to a bar and have the bartender put the bourbon, Chambord, and ice in a glass and I'd top with the lemonade.  Do a search on best bourbon cocktails and you'll get a lot of great ideas.

Have fun.  I'm only about 3 years into my bourbon "journey".  Everyone was talking about it, and it felt like I was missing out.  It's an easy club to join.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Fingers crossed you all will be ok and feel great to cruise.

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@TravelGirlinDallasHoping the 3 of you stay healthy for your Thanksgiving cruise.

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I hope Andrew feels better soon and that you and Hubby remain healthy.

Is the cruise with the beautiful aft balcony?   

You will have a gorgeous cruise.😀

Yes, this is the cruise with the corner aft balcony. Really hoping we actually get to go and enjoy it!

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@TravelGirlinDallas hope Andrew recovers from his illness quickly 

Thanks, everyone! Andrew tested negative for both flu and Covid at urgent care yesterday, so at least that's good news. They said he "just" has an acute upper respiratory infection. He was feeling a little better yesterday afternoon; a little bit of a headache, low-grade fever, and an occasional cough. Brian and I are taking EmergenC and all of the vitamins and trying to avoid it.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

In case it wasn't obvious from Greg's reply, whiskey (or sometimes spelled whisky) is the over arching style of liquor.  Bourbon is a subset of whiskey that meets the criteria that Greg mention.  Scotch whisky (aka Scotch), Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey, Tennessee whisky, Japanese whiskey, etc. are all other forms of whiskey that either informally have a common approach to distilling, or in some cases have more formally mandated requirements for ingredients, aging, etc.  Scotch for example must be distilled in Scotland to be called Scotch.  Also adding to Greg...the taste of a single malt can vary, sometimes fairly significantly, from one batch to another.  Blended whiskeys are designed to have a more consistent taste since variation in any one malted whiskey is minimized when blended with other malted whiskeys. 

My approach to learning to like bourbon started with Tennessee whiskey...Jack Daniels.  I liked a Jack and Ginger cocktail.  The ginger ale helps "water down" the whiskey taste.  I then "graduated" to Old Fashioneds and Manhattans with bourbon.  They're still cocktails with mixers, but the mixers are limited so that the taste of the bourbon stands out.  Next step for me was bourbon on the rocks.  Ice kept the bourbon cold (so easier to drink) and watered it down a bit as the ice melted.  I then started moving to bourbon neat...just bourbon in a glass.  I'm still drinking the lower proof (lower alcohol by volume) bourbons (typically in the 90s range) as the higher proof (100+) is a little "hot" for me.  I'm working my way up to enjoying the higher proof stuff.

That seems like a lot of work in order to learn to like something.!😳

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It’s something I really want to do. I’ve looked at some bus tours that take you to the distilleries. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. 

Yes definitely want to have a driver . Lexington is a nice city , also really nice race track there .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

There are many other bourbon cocktails out there.  A Manhattan and an Old Fashioned are perhaps the most well known, but others include more flavorful mixers that minimize the bourbon taste.  Micheline does not like bourbon at all, even though she takes sip of my drink regularly to confirm that she still doesn't like it.  I ordered a smoked pecan old fashioned the other day at a restaurant that was very sweet (almost too sweet for me) and had a very smoky, pecan taste to it.  Micheline took a sip and said that she could almost drink that, since the bourbon taste was largely masked.  

I am 100% onboard with Michelene.  Jim has various whiskeys, bourbons, etc here and will get an Old Fashioned when out, I keep trying but just don't care for it.  However I do appreciate the discussions about it all here, lea4ning a lot.  Have given Jim recommendations I see here which he does appreciate.  Thanks all

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Other good bourbon cocktails include the Mint Julep (a Kentucky Derby favorite), a Kentucky Mule (a Moscow mule but with Bourbon instead of Vodka), and a Kentucky Lemonade (essentially bourbon and lemonade).  I've seen several bourbon cocktails with blackberry and raspberry.  One of my favorites, that I made by accident, is a Raspberry Bourbon Lemonade.  2 oz bourbon, 1 oz Chambord, 4 oz lemonade.  Royal bars tend to not have lemonade, so I would bring a couple of glasses back to my cabin from the Windjammer.  I'd bring a glass to a bar and have the bartender put the bourbon, Chambord, and ice in a glass and I'd top with the lemonade.  Do a search on best bourbon cocktails and you'll get a lot of great ideas.

Have fun.  I'm only about 3 years into my bourbon "journey".  Everyone was talking about it, and it felt like I was missing out.  It's an easy club to join.

Very well said. Sometimes I don't know if I convey everything properly word wise. You nailed it.

Great process you did to develop your palatte.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

That seems like a lot of work in order to learn to like something.!😳

That's half the fun.

• Like 3

So excited today to meet 2 friends for lunch I haven't seen in quite some time.  I'm looking forward to a glass or two of Moscato and laughing non-stop at our previous antics.  Going to a previous favorite Italian joint of ours and hope the food is as good as I remember.

Eye is totally healed.  Amazing how much clearer I can now see out of that eye.  Second one to be done in 2 weeks, Hopefully, I won't develop a scratch since a contact lens will be placed to prevent it from happening this time.  The scratch happened after the surgery, not during.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline does not like bourbon at all, even though she takes sip of my drink regularly to confirm that she still doesn't like it.

Every ten years I’ll try a sip

of Scotch to see if I’ve matured and acquired a taste for it.  So far, nope.  Same way every so often I’ll reread C.S, Lewis’ Till We Have Faces to see if I “get” it.  Again, nope.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don’t know if this topic was discussed earlier while I was off cruising and honestly I did not read all that was posted while I was gone.

It seems you lobster tail lovers will have to pay $16.99 + tip for every lobster tail if you consume more than one on Symphony on lobster night. It is an experiment RCI will be trying out along with a pared down menu with fewer selections.  

We ate at Hooked and tried the Taste of Royal on the Navigator and do recommend both. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, NHProud said:

I don’t know if this topic was discussed earlier while I was off cruising and honestly I did not read all that was posted while I was gone.

It seems you lobster tail lovers will have to pay $16.99 + tip for every lobster tail if you consume more than one on Symphony on lobster night. It is an experiment RCI will be trying out along with a pared down menu with fewer selections.  

No.... it wasn't, though I think I've seen it on the general board.

@mets07 -- Congratulations on the birth of your fourth granddaughter. Wishing you healthy many more 🌹

@Luckynana -- Congrats, Maryann. Hopefully, all your grandkids will make you proud time and again 🌼

@TravelGirlinDallas -- 🤞 Bethany for a healthy and enjoyable cruise.

@Lionesss -- Sue, positive energy and thoughts crossing the pond towards O-H-I-O 😘

A very urban and perfect sunset today....

image.thumb.jpeg.a00e629d460a44e5786d214d0aa7f8f5.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 4:47 AM, sgmn said:

Poor little g/son in hospital over weekend.

Sorry to hear about your grandson.  Hopefully he is out of the hospital and doing better now.  

On 11/14/2022 at 8:01 AM, Jimbo said:

Very sad day here,last night at 1:20 am our Feral Cat we got 4 years ago passed here at home.

So sorry to read about the loss of your cat.

23 hours ago, mets07 said:

I am blessed to have some happy news. 👼 Six days ago our fourth grandchild was born. I can't do names or pics, but this healthy baby is a girl and joins our grandson and other two granddaughters. 

Their ages are 5y, 3y, 1y, and almost one week 😉.

This was the first child for our younger son. 

Best wishes to all of you.

Congratulations on your new granddaughter.  That is some happy news.

19 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Guess what we got today. had to try a bite first.

IMG_0129.thumb.JPG.57a9ece888743937697ca0039793e141.JPG

Congratulations on making Pinnacle.  That is one club I will probably never make, but who knows.

18 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Just a quick request. 

If anyone has any extra prayers or kind thoughts can you send them my way.  Just having  some stressors added to my life this week. 

Thankfully daughter is fine at 35 weeks. 

Stay safe. 

Some coming your way from here.  I hate stress!

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Our granddaughter from Connecticut was just presented with the Central Ct Conference All Conference Team award in recognition of Outstanding Performance and Athletic Achievement in the sport of Field Hockey. 🏒🏒

Congratulations to your granddaughter.  What a great achievement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

No.... it wasn't, though I think I've seen it on the general board.

@mets07 -- Congratulations on the birth of your fourth granddaughter. Wishing you healthy many more 🌹

@Luckynana -- Congrats, Maryann. Hopefully, all your grandkids will make you proud time and again 🌼

@TravelGirlinDallas -- 🤞 Bethany for a healthy and enjoyable cruise.

@Lionesss -- Sue, positive energy and thoughts crossing the pond towards O-H-I-O 😘

A very urban and perfect sunset today....

image.thumb.jpeg.a00e629d460a44e5786d214d0aa7f8f5.jpeg

I did see that after I posted and came back to delete but I was too late. 

Nice pic .  Our deck faces west and we get some spectacular sunsets.  Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Oh no, that stinks!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very sorry to hear you were sick with ecoli and treated poorly by the mgr onboard.    I'm really surprised they were not helpful.   

How long did it take for symptoms to appear?   I hope I never get it to find out.

I would definitely rethink salads for awhile.

I hope your Mom is feeling better and able to get back on her feet soon.

Rcl definitely doesnt want to hear anyone got sick from food. We all got sick various times that saturday night. No way to prove anything and I've put it behind me. I'm better now. Next time I will see my doctor. I just have a doctor phobia ha. I'm bad about seeing mine. 

My mom got that infection but started to feel better now but not 100% and lost ground. I was kinda shocked when she said she hadnt been in her closet to see what clothes and tops I'd brought.  They wanted to discharge her today. Her 10 days they try to allow was up today but she was in bed with that infection and they extended it to friday. I got on the phone and called someone who knows places around here and got a suggestion for a regular rehab. Mom asked for a meeting to set up where they will transfer her friday. I'm guessing group PT rather than all the individual attention she gets now. Idk. Time to transfer again. She doesnt feel ready to go home yet. Crossing my fingers in a month she can. ..after I get off allure. I talked to mom a long time today. So she is feeling better. 

• Like 16

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

My two cents about Scotch, (I'm no expert) is that if you have it with ginger ale or as a mixed drink then probably not worth getting an expensive single malt  but get a cheaper blend. If you like a single malt it's best drunk with just a couple of ice cubes or splash of water 

57 minutes ago, NHProud said:

We ate at Hooked and tried the Taste of Royal on the Navigator and do recommend both. 

I'm a single malt only sorta fan, though I'm finding I'm drinking less and less. A glass full of ice and pour it over lots of ice. A splash of water at most. No bourbon too peaty. Havent had any bourbon I liked. Just expensive single malts. I can tell from seeing the bottle usually if I'll like it. 

I saw the thread on food. I dont like they removed the strip steak. My friend helen I know orders the salmon. Both from the every day menu. I like the strip steak better than most everything else on the menu. I dont eat pasta. I want plain food. No sauce. 

I would like the bigger maine lobster. I saw Greg said he ate 4 of the smaller lobsters. I think some might find one maine lobster not enough, idk. But I'd like that just fine. I dont eat that much at a time. I just dont like eliminating the every day menu with the strip steak. For me that's several nights a week. Cost cutting imo. I'd swear I remember duck being on rcl menu. I asked last cruise and was told it was replaced by chicken. I ordered the duck. Not much left I like...I'll be in the WJ more. 

So many congrats. Hard to keep up. Pinnacle ..congrats mo .. bonnie enjoy your friends.

• Like 8

Well, granddaughter is home, but her diagnosis was pneumonia.  Susan and I have a somewhat free day, so we are running all over western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio.  

An early morning stop was at Christmas Land.  Somehow, this is how I envision Greg’s house. 

0A2963D3-1683-4F72-AB57-619844B25BE2.thumb.jpeg.d2a23fc3db7f1d5c6f0745b74628d0f9.jpeg

9893830C-E189-4FEF-A37C-1AAF16B91AE1.thumb.jpeg.91a27d0b4ee75877af5ae5ff24895c00.jpeg

Even the dogs would feel right at home. 

5C5D5D66-B6DA-4D09-A4E3-897691418169.thumb.jpeg.247143dccb4540a25d90cc0c71c6fc1f.jpeg

53AD10F5-7F23-4A2E-A4B2-C70218D9F09D.thumb.jpeg.69df4aa1fc58b1e71906b71b14213927.jpeg

DA6F1F7F-25BA-432C-B42F-8BBC7AA51CD3.thumb.jpeg.eefe852dd0e1800b9240d0f2bf72999e.jpeg

I did find Santa

0B42B9F8-C449-466D-99C1-8175C17E0425.thumb.jpeg.38685b80d4646434dd57ea03021c74bc.jpeg

and, fortunately my name was on the good list. 

F8E4EB1C-576C-404B-918E-24ACF4FD1E1C.thumb.jpeg.a662adc58c6d95b6af52fedef9fcd758.jpeg

I can’t imagine how long it takes to put together a display like this.   

or, how much is invested in it. 

• Like 25

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Well, granddaughter is home, but her diagnosis was pneumonia.

Excellent news that she's home, Mark. It means that the pneumonia is now under control. Being so young, I'm sure she'll make a swift and complete recovery.

Sending positive thoughts to your daughter. She has enough on her plate as it is....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

Right Up The Ole Poop Shoot GIF - Right Up The Ole Poop Shoot Look Around GIFs

52 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh no, that stinks!!

Well looks like Lobster Night in the Main Dining Room will just turn out into another Night at Windjammer for us................Have no idea what they are thinking of for charging that much for those Tiny Tails they serve........... maybe a extra $4.99 per tail would be more reasonable, but $16.99 Wow !

What next for additional charges? Prime Rib?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2