The Daily for Thursday Dec 24, 2020

richwmn

Happy Christmas Eve to all my CC friends!

@kazu hooray for solid food, even if it is tiny bits.  A giant step in the right direction.

@richwmnYou deserve a Pulitzer Prize for faithful and original reporting.  Thank you so much for The Daily!

@rafinmd, since the Pulitzer has been awarded, my prize for you is Nobel.  Your kindness and good humor shine through in every post.  Thank you!

@StLouisCruisers, this morning’s photo from your DIL is striking.  A perfect transition for the new year!

For all the photographers, philosophers, bakers, makers, and sharers, thanks for making a really strange year more bearable.  A yummy eggnog toast to all.

• Like 20

Merry Christmas, all!  Despite the pandemic, may you each find a moment that will fill your heart with joy.

It's our family tradition to annually give each grandchild an ornament reflective of his/her current interests or special events. This year, as those ornaments are opened in their various homes far away from us, all five will find:

Screenshot_20201206-131146.png

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Merry Christmas, all!  Despite the pandemic, may you each find a moment that will fill your heart with joy.

It's our family tradition to annually give each grandchild an ornament reflective of his/her current interests or special events. This year, as those ornaments are opened in their various homes far away from us, all five will find:

Screenshot_20201206-131146.png

Haha!  So true.  They will never forget 2020, that's for sure.

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.81ddf7e745f8bb3ee0cef3c259cc628e.jpeg

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE TO MY WONDERFUL DAILYITES!!

A BIG SHOUT OUT TO MY EXTENDED CC FAMILY! 
🎄RICH, ROY YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ARE THE BEST THERAPY AND GIFT TO ME THIS SEASON AND FOR 2020!!!

🎄🎄🎄🎄DEAREST JOY AND ANN!!

LOVE 💕 MY SISTERS MAY YOU BE BLESSED WITH SO MUCH LOVE AND HEALTH AND 2021 WILL BE A POSITIVE 

YEAR FOR ALL OF US🎄

BEAUTIFUL UP HERE IN MAMMOTH AND DAVID AND I ATE SO BLESSED!

🎄Here is my Christmas card that I did

and my Paisley is our Little Christmas Star!

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

I JUST FINISHED MY STARRY STARRY

CHRISTMAS PAINTING THAT I WANT TO SHARE WITH ALL OF YOU!

image.thumb.jpeg.a28946d93f588617009da72aa9f37243.jpeg
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

LOVE to everyone this Christmas!!

🎄🎄EREWHON. MERRY CHRISTMAS 

MY FRIEND!

GOD BLESS TO ALL

SINCERELY

Denise 😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Addition
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Happy Christmas Eve to all my Daily friends,  and a big thank you to everyone for their contributions!

We got a Christmas gift yesterday, Dr. Bonnie explained her plan for vaccine distribution - December and January will be care home residents and their caregivers, hospital workers and people in hospitals, and isolated indigenous communities, THEN February and March, 80+ seniors (that's us, yay!!), and first responders, grocery store workers, etc., then they will start lowering the age requirements.  Now that Canada has approved the Moderna vaccine, things will start moving.  Very exciting!  You never know, we might just make that April cruise...

DD has organized our Christmas dinner and we will have it on Zoom with DS and his household.  We delivered gifts to family and friends yesterday, today is make hard sauce and prepare the stuffing for the turkey.   DD said she likes the leftovers best, and we will probably be eating them for a week!

Looking forward to the Zoom meeting on Saturday - I have updated the app and had a dry run with DD on my iPad, but will test it again today on my Mac.    

• Like 18

Happy Christmas Eve morning, all! My FaceTime advent calendar friend and I have picked eggnog and rum for today’s video chat drink. Today is the last of our advent calendar opening meetings. I’m going to miss them. I love beef stroganoff, but like the idea of a light charcuterie board supper before tomorrow’s turkey dinner.

The electric fireplace has new bulbs - what a difference. In true 2020 style, we dropped the last bulb to go in onto the stone hearth. DH went to the store for a new bulb while I played scavenger hunt with a dust buster getting the bits of glass that were hiding. Today is getting the turkey cleaned for roasting tomorrow and making broth with the neck and giblets.

Merry Christmas to anyone who won’t be on tomorrow, and @erewhon, Merry Christmas today! And of course, Happy Thursday from the Amsterdam elevator mats! 

EAD8F520-138E-46BE-86A0-0EE325E9D0A8.jpeg

• Like 17

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE OR MERRY CHRISTMAS

(as appropriate).

IMG_8456.thumb.JPG.53ae4d55bc041a9ae9baeed51863d632.JPG

I cannot claim the credit for making the wreath.  It was a gift many, many years ago from my late SIL.

We will pass on the meal suggestions and the eggnog.  Tonight it will be soup brought to us yesterday  from our neighbors.  It is Italian sausage soup that is a Christmas tradition in his family., and it looks very good and will go well with wine.

We do not have any pictures of Jupiter and Saturn from yesterday.  It was cloudy last night, and we could barely make out Jupiter with the naked eye.  With the binoculars, I could see Saturn too, but looked in about the same place.

Since we could not use the telescope, we took a drive to look at Christmas lights.  Our neighborhood which is outside of town about five miles had more lights this year than in the last several years.  As a lot of the snowbirds aged they have sold their houses, and many of the new owners seem more in the Christmas spirit.  I think a lot of the others felt the need to decorate to lift spirits this season.  Unfortunately, our Canadian neighbors and some others from the northern states could or did not come down this year.  With a few exceptions, including on couple's drive through display, town was being a grinch.

Tonight, there will be the annual atv/utv Christmas parade in the neighborhood.  It is fun to watch all the decorated vechiles.  Some really go all out.

Today is very cloudy and is supposed to be in the 50s, so it is a good day for baking the pies and making the sides.  Even though it is just the two of us for safety reasons, we will have a semi traditional meal.  We are having the hen I bought for Thanksgiving before I found the small turkey.  

This year we will be talking to our DDs the old fashioned way by phone.  Both spend a lot of time on the computer and on zoom meetings since working from home.  When not working, they (especially the youngest) don't want anything to do with computers.  Just knowing they are safe and well, even though Austin went to level 5 yesterday, mainly due to a shortage of healthcare workers, is the best present we can have.

Thank you to Rich for starting this thread and for keeping going, to Roy for keeping up with the lists, and to all who post daily or occasionally.   We have enjoyed this thread since the beginning, even though we didn't post until last summer.

Stay safe and well while social distancing and wearing masks.

Lenda

• Like 17

Cold here today. It was 0 when the dogs and I marched out for their first "business trip" of the day. I will take them out again shortly when the sun is well up and it will be a bit warmer although the high today may not make freezing. I will be getting my exercise as I am going to be walking dogs at the shelter once a day from now through New Years Day. We are a bit short handed due to some quarantine issues with staff. But we don't have a lot of dogs in, so it is easy to cover. We are very fortunate that one of the cleaning services has donated cleaning time to us.... we are sparkly and bright and hopefully staff and animals will be safe. So far a large majority of staff who felt they had been exposed elsewhere have tested negative.

Tomorrow will visit by phone and zoom with family members. I have not heard from several relatives but am hoping that it is the result of slow mails. I think the holiday greetings will be strung out over the next few weeks.

Cheers to all. Take care, stay healthy. Even though I am pretty isolated just now, I am grateful for having food, shelter and the dogs.

Susan

• Like 15

Happy Christmas Eve Day everyone!

We will have egg nog today, the Alton Brown Egg Nog I made is only half gone 😉  

Maybe just me (?) but Stroganoff just doesn't seem festive enough for Christmas Eve.  We will be having shrimp cocktail, King Crab legs, salad and Lumpia.  

The drink (Jingle Juice) and wine (white!) both sound great.

The closest I will come to regifting will be to bring some candy to share tomorrow that a neighbor gave to us.  I need to keep all temptations out of this house. 😄

We will be at DD and DSIL's tomorrow, they will put up a cover (rain expected of course) and we'll be bundled up to try to stay warm.  It will be a much shorter visit than usual, just long enough to give the boys their gifts, and have a bit to eat.  

The fire pit I ordered from Amazon will arrive on Monday!  A month sooner than first predicted.  My neighbors and I are all excited to have some social distance visiting this winter and still be warm.

Last night was clear here and we saw Jupiter and Saturn for a second time.  I was a little surprised at how far apart they were already.  Very thankful to see it, with our winter weather it was a miracle.

Sad news from an old friend.  Both her DH's parents died of Covid last month.  They were in 2 different nursing homes in ND, one had 23 deaths and the other had 30.  Some staff were the first to test positive.  😞  

Looking forward to a better year ahead, and getting that vaccine.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Roy for adding the church I attend to the care list. Yesterday morning our long time pastor, who retired 10 years ago, left us to join his heavenly father. He will be sorely missed.

I am computer challenged, maybe just 1 step above illiterate and have no idea what zoom is.  Therefore while I would like to join you I will not be able to. I hope the zoom meeting goes well.

My Christmas present this year will be a long telephone conversation with my only son. He lives in the Tulsa area and I live in the Phoenix area so we have not been ale to see each other for a year.

Merry Christmas to everyone, be safe and try to be healthy.

• Like 13

Merry Christmas Rich!  been a while since I have been regularly hanging out in CC....little too negative for me here for a while.

But so very happy to post a Marry Christmas Eve to you and yours!  I so appreciate the work you do, and the effort you have put into The Daily....you turned it from where the Dam ships are to it's own little community here on CC!

Don't forget to slap on a mask, wash your hands, and keep your bubble small, and hopefully we will make it to the other side.  In the immoral words of British Columbia's public health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, "Be kind, be calm, and be safe".  

Thanks again, Rich!

L.

• Like 12

I want to thank each and every one of you for your contributions to the Dailies!  I've enjoyed reading them for months (even though I don't think I've ever contributed),  The Dailies bring a smile to my lips each day, as well as giving me food for thought.

Thank you again, and Merry Christmas all.  And most of all, STAY HEALTHY!

Donna

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

Merry Christmas Eve!  I made it safely to the woods and I am tucked warmly inside.  I tried making a hotspot with my phone and connecting with my tablet, but everything was timing out.  I’ll keep trying.

You MAY be able to join voice only with one of the phone numbers listed.  I thought that was an extra cost option I hadn't paid for but the list of numbers is shown,.

Roy

• Like 3