The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 28th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for sharing the information about the money exchange.  I saw it when I was double checking the dates.  I was trying to keep it short and just give others a heads up.  We're not even going to ask DSIL to try to exchange it, just to use it while it's still legal tender.

The Buffalo Soldiers were the black soldiers in black regiments in the US Army after the Civil War.  They were sent to the western US to fight the Native Americans.  One theory is the soldiers were given the name Buffalo Soldiers by the Native Americans who thought their hair resembled the rough fur of the buffalo.  Another is that the name was given by the Native Americans because the soldiers' bravery and ferocity in batlle reminded the Native Americans of the way the buffalo fought.  The soldiers considered the name high praise because they knew how highly the Native Americans regarded the buffalo.

When we toured the Brittania, we were told that Prince Charles insisted the twin bed in the guest room be replaced with a double bed for his and Diana's honeymoon.

@Vict0riann  Ann, thanks for the beautiful pictures, and I'm glad you had great weather there.  Sorry your cousins DH fell and cut his head, and that he has Covid.  I hope the cut was the only damage he suffered.

Lenda 

Some places won't accept £50 paper notes now because of forgeries but plenty of larger stores will accept them.

I was thinking a bank might exchange your old £10 notes for your DSIL if they called in.

Kind of you to give them your notes.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

I am very late as we went to town AGAIN.  No problems just iffy weather so a road trip to Lake Superior.  I am glad I checked in and saw the pictures of Shadow.  Jacqui it looks like he belongs there, what a handsome dog!  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

Catching up. I finally have my hair cut and a pedicure. Feel much better.

We have had heavy rains the last few days, and I just heard a rumble of thunder so I suspect more is on the way. It is most welcome although there are some flood warnings posted for areas around me.

Hope Shadow has a quiet day and can relax and sleep. And best wishes to Fluff. Hope the vet can get all of that growth. And everyone else try to keep your feet under you and away from Covid. A friend of mine just returned from short trip to Canada and guess what she brought home. I did some shopping for her this morning.

Susan.... having a quiet day herself. Reading and napping.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Some places won't accept £50 paper notes now because of forgeries but plenty of larger stores will accept them.

I was thinking a bank might exchange your old £10 notes for your DSIL if they called in.

Kind of you to give them your notes.

Graham.

Thanks, Graham.  Thankfully, we only had the one ten paper note and a few 20s.  Since DSIL will be there on business, I don’t want to bother him to try to get the 10 note changed or even worry about the 20s.  He can use them for meals or for whatever.

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  A sunny morning for us here.  Another great Daily so thank you Rich @richwmnfor doing this each day.  Whenever chocolate comes up I think of Graham @grapau27.  Milk chocolate is good but I do like dark chocolate a little more.  I can't even remember going to a waterpark but it's possible we did when the children were young.  A salute to Buffalo Soldiers who were an important part of our military history.  Interesting reading quote from Stephen King.  I may have to pass on the menu suggestion today.  Portland, England was listed here on April 11, 2022 so not that long ago but on that date it was listed as Portland (Weymouth), England UK so if you had photos of either you could post them then.  I have some photos from our stop in Portland which I will repeat.  

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the lists today.  We sure did hear of a lot of falls yesterday so that is a warning to us all to be very careful and watch our steps.  I know when I go down the stairs in the morning in the dark to use the treadmill I am holding on to that railing and making sure I'm off the steps and onto the floor so I don't take anymore tumbles there.  Prayers for all our people in need on the Care list. I'm happy to hear Ann @marshhawkis feeling better today.  A big hurray for the Celebration list! Good to hear Jacqui @kazu  got Shadow to eat and drink, and figured out ways to make her more comfortable sleeping and going in and out.  I can't blame Shadow for being apprehensive, but I know Jacqui will do everything possible to make her happy.

Here are my photos from Portland in 2018 on Prinsendam.

We stopped at Portland, England on the Prinsendam's "Irish, Scottish and European River Cruise" on Sept. 13, 2018.  What a lovely cruise that was!  The skies were clear as we headed off the ship and boarded a bus provided for us to get over to Weymouth.  We were dropped off a couple blocks from the small harbor.  We passed this nice little restaurant/bar while we walked.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKZVeB_447JtbwnxXbeeC1I?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560835

First sight of the harbor which was very scenic.  We were told this harbor was used in filming the movie "Dunkirk" which I've never seen. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcdOGPJ30VmvD_gH33jdXo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560846

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKRSmKeZRXinIHz7Vgbl5YU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJz71XjDPkQ1ThaWx5r5dns?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560849

Behind you when looking at the harbor is this lovely downtown area.  Ah, I see a fish and chips restaurant right there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL1N-3nDxfF3_UUYf8FzJ_-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523613

We noticed a bridge to walk (or drive) across to get to the opposite shore so headed there.  Here's a photo I took of a sign showing it raising, not knowing I'd see it raising later as we left.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDPx6ZGY-fnLg4QrJEJwIm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524690

While standing on the bridge00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRZ3sUfR4C2ugoPrIMNnch?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523632

We headed down this main street, and went in a grocery store to pick up something.  Toothpaste?  We had been cruising a month and a half already on two cruise lines so I was getting low.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_jL4_lH2xqBFUW3Ga_Zhl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523650

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK3jelGpw4jiRNd9WeRkifr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523656

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtMbVcMX1BOktPDZn1pNkx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560864

At the end of the main street was the beach!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKWQPjZanZ6DinlXjpg-ux5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560869

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLB0rAjWI6u5mbdbLxhZjXL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538523686

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvqkNP1rrW8u-VONGdaPE7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560877

Looks like saddles on these donkeys.  People ride them?  Perhaps only children.  Good to see the man taking care of their hooves.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1TCUS2c6YbCqX5MQUzPd7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524652

A view as we returned back to the bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXZ3IrJIva5kCQ2kdKVCsd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524694

This area at the harbor was my favorite part of town.  You can see the clouds were rolling in.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLnAUyncCC9RTSXcmHjLhzc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524710

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK7HpzmxJ--OW3OpAJsqJes?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524724

All of a sudden I could see the drawbridge raising back where we had recently crossed.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3N3XOW7efyff9u6YImJ7M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524741

Zooming in00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKopTpR9tWll6mvgvqcEuZ5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524741

We walked back to the bus pick up point for our ride back to Portland and the Prinsendam.  Scenery as we neared the ship, photos taken through the bus windows of course so not the best.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtRKz9Y9gXpbRIBn0hzC7S?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560889

And a blurry photo showing the Prinsendam00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYQBHXjs86WXMj3AVR8Lo3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560890

We drove right by Portland Castle.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2EiYFq8Ap6hb2HO2XQS4y?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538560901

When time to leave we were treated to a band and some cannon fire.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJx9Y6FP7Duo3iBZa67r-fj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524879

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLb06x37_v2jd3OC5iXE9QW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524820

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIpVpPMvI0sKY9yBDC7peUn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524849

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJxj-BD8V22D1SB3_1vbr0M?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524850

The view out my window as we sailed away.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhJJXAHv-gZJPQ9hhLtdVF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524886

Shortly thereafter these shores with the sun's rays shining on them.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXDXR9bMiLv2gyhgGOBfz0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1538524927

An enjoyable stop on our Prinsendam cruise.

Excellent photos.  We were there just last month, June 6, on the N Statendam.  They had a double decker bus for us to ride into Weymouth from the port at Portland, which I appreciated very much.  They also had volunteer aides for us as we got off the bus who were very helpful.  An older lady volunteer asked me where I was from, and I told her the US. She asked where in the US, and I replied Florida, have you been there?  The answer, "Oh honey, yes, nearly every year since I retired!  My daughter works for Disney and I get free passes. I even get to cruise on the Disney ships for almost free with her."

• Like 12

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

There can't be many cruise ships left that are that size.  The maximum beam for a ship to fit through the seaway locks is 78 feet.  The Seabourn Quest, one of today's smallest ships is 84 feet so even the Quest is too big.  

Roy

Hi Roy.

The new Viking ship, Octantis, which was built to access the Great Lakes is 77 feet beam and 665 feet long.  Compare that to the Prinsendam or Statendam class, and it is rather narrow.  Would love to try it, but at nearly $1000 per diem, that is not going to happen.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Talking about English pounds got me to check if I had any on hand.  I have currency from about 20 countries in envelopes in my desk as it makes it easier when we return to those countries.  Just looked at all of them and the good news: no pounds.  Bad news: About $36 in rubles, $278 in Chinese rmb.  Maybe bad news: $111. in Hong Kong dollars.  Good news: a lot of Japanese yen and Taiwan NT dollars and some Thai baht and Korean won.   I am wondering if some large U.S. banks will change Russian or Chinese currency?  Or maybe on the next cruise change it for local currency at a money changer in a foreign port.

Ray

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Talking about English pounds got me to check if I had any on hand.  I have currency from about 20 countries in envelopes in my desk as it makes it easier when we return to those countries.  Just looked at all of them and the good news: no pounds.  Bad news: About $36 in rubles, $278 in Chinese rmb.  Maybe bad news: $111. in Hong Kong dollars.  Good news: a lot of Japanese yen and Taiwan NT dollars and some Thai baht and Korean won.   I am wondering if some large U.S. banks will change Russian or Chinese currency?  Or maybe on the next cruise change it for local currency at a money changer in a foreign port.

Ray

Ray we brought money home from Germany,  Austria, Italy, and France, prior to the euro change over. As I recall it took a few years to complete the change and we were able to exchange the money into USD through Wells Fargo and USAA banks. But that's been (20?) year's ago. I kept all the coins and Czech crowns.

Joy

• Like 8

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Hi Roy.

The new Viking ship, Octantis, which was built to access the Great Lakes is 77 feet beam and 665 feet long.  Compare that to the Prinsendam or Statendam class, and it is rather narrow.  Would love to try it, but at nearly $1000 per diem, that is not going to happen.

Interesting selection of itineraries.   I would have expected some round trips since there aren't a lot of international point to point possibilities involving cities with great air service,  The only one I saw that would be relatively easy would be Toronto to Milwaukee.  I think Duluth and Thunder Bay are both relatively difficult and expensive cities to get to.   When I priced it it was over $1500 for a solo. 

I've sailed the entire system with Blount Small Ship Adventures, from the Maritimes to Montreal, Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls, and on to/from both Duluth and Chicago.  It's a great experience.

Roy

• Like 16

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I believe we are staying in Oban tomorrow night which means a visit to Oban distillery.

@aliaschief Oh, to again quaff a dram of Oban 14 at its source. Enjoy!

Will you have the chance to get across from Oban to Mull and then on to either Iona or Staffa?

-Melisa

• Like 8

We had a downpour tonight.  But I still managed to get a picture of a sunset after the rain.  Wish I could have gotten a rainbow, but no luck.  Not as pretty as the others.

Try again another night.

Sweet dreams everyone.

Terri

569D45D6-897A-4198-AD5A-A9141799E5B9.jpeg

• Like 19

@kazu, I hope evening 2 is going well with Shadow, she is getting over jet lag and terror, and starting to think that maybe this is home.  She’ll begin training you soon, I’m sure!

I’m glad everyone who went head over heels (shouldn’t that be the other way around?) is doing OK today.  Please do try to stay upright!

I hope Tana’s son’s Covid is a mild case, and Tana escapes it altogether.

@1ANGELCAT, I’m so happy that the vet thinks surgery will help your pretty girl Fluff.  I’m looking forward to hearing a good outcome.

@dfish, it looks like you are having a wonderful cruise!  I’m really looking forward to meeting you in October.

Thank you EVERYONE who posts pictures and memes.  Sometimes a laugh, sometimes a memory, always a pleasure.

We had a couple of thundershowers last evening, and today’s high stayed in the 90’s.  We have more rain expected overnight and even “cooler” tomorrow!  So grateful, but so sad for those flooding in St. Louis and Kentucky.

Best to all my CC friends ~~

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Well, finally made it home.  What an exhausting 2 weeks!  I am happy to report my DSis wrapped her abrasions herself last night and she has a doctor appointment tomorrow.  Hope she finds out if the treatment regime will change.  We have been following ER instructions.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, I saw your town on the weather map in Phoenix  last night!  I hadn’t looked you up on the map earlier.  Was raining there, as well in Phoenix.  Western Colorado has gotten lots of rain today.

Have a great rest of the evening, everyone.  Will be an early evening for me.

• Like 15

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and encouragement. Shadow/Chadow (same name just a different emphasis)  is doing well (all things considered).  I have taken off her collar and substituted a harness (who me?  Have numerous harnesses?  Yes - I gave away all the dogs’ stuff but I don’t give away their halti’s, harnesses and leashes.

So, now I am dragging her in and out.  The harness doesn’t let her get choked and I have on of those awesome training leashes (one handle normal and one below for control).

But… never fear - she is eating and I don’t know if this will work or not but this is after our play time - see the tail - it’s up 👍

But try to bring her out or in is a PITA - If she doesn’t want the reward after for doing it - that’s fine - but LOL - I see nothing left now.  She just doesn’t want me to know she took it.  She sort of comes a bit but she is very, very nervous.  I can’t call her in or out yet like I did with the other.

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the heads up on the GBP.  I just ordered some for nest year so will need to go check.

@aliaschiefwonderful pics of the Britannia, Bruce. - that must have been something!

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have been enjoying milk chocolate covered macadamia nuts while on Maui but ya'll can have the dark chocolate. 

I’m with you   I know dark chocolate is “healthier” and all the rage but if I am going to splurge on chocolate it’s the same as you.

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I’ll try to post a few pix, and we finished that day off with a very interesting Cellar Master Dinner, in Canaletto, which seemed a bit unusual, but I guess they are keeping the Pinnacle for the Pinnace Gala dinner.  

Fabulous pics and it soundx like a great time - other than stingsl.  OK - i’m interested in your Cellar Master please.  Was the menu the equivalent?  Same price and die you enjoy it or does “interesting” mean a nice way of saying  not great.  I’d take a good Cellar Master over the Pinnacle Gala any day of the week 😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Well, finally made it home.  What an exhausting 2 weeks!  I am happy to report my DSis wrapped her abrasions herself last night and she has a doctor appointment tomorrow.  Hope she finds out if the treatment regime will change.  We have been following ER instructions.

@Quartzsite Cruiser, I saw your town on the weather map in Phoenix  last night!  I hadn’t looked you up on the map earlier.  Was raining there, as well in Phoenix.  Western Colorado has gotten lots of rain today.

Have a great rest of the evening, everyone.  Will be an early evening for me.

The last I saw earlier today was Quartzsite received 0.63 inch of rain, and pictures showed standing water in a yard.  I just wish we'd get some rain here in Texas too.  We don't spend summers in Quartzsite.

I'm  glad your sister could do her bandages herself yesterday.  I hope she gets good news from the doctor tomorrow.

Also, glad you mafe it home safely.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

Greetings on this sunny Friday, so good to have sunshine after all the rain.

Thanks for all the reports, recipes and photos.

Like the quote, reading is so important especially the ability to read books.

@rafinmd Roy, we prefer your alternative menu.

We have been to Portland UK, during one of our visits driving around the country, @bennybear we also have been to Lulworth Cove and Durdle door.

Thanks to @Quartzsite Cruiser, @StLouisCruisers and @kazu for multiquoting today.

@1ANGELCAT what age is Fluff, she looks so sweet, hope the cancer can be easily dealt with.

@smitty34877 sorry that Tana's son has covid again, hope that the rest of your household remain negative.

@kazu  am unable to access your links on post 90,  Thank you for the photos of Shadow, am sure a few quiet days with you will help her gain confidence.  

@aliaschief thanks for posting the photos of the Royal Yacht Britannia.  Enjoy the remainder of your time in Scotland.

Stay  safe, take care everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

We are back from summer vacation and getting back in the groove.  Plenty of catching up here to do.  So much activity!  And tumbles!!  BUT… what do I see at the end of the day? @kazu’s new baby really playing…after all she’s been through recently. Watching that good girl chase her own tail really brought a smile.

Have a restful night, Everyone. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@erewhon I have a question that I could also ask elsewhere but thought our resident New Zealander dailyite would be a good place to start.  If you fly from Auckland to San Francisco which airline would you choose for business class, preferably non-stop.  I've spent a little time googling and so far haven't found a non-stop.  Last time I flew home from Auckland I went on Qantas which took me from AKL to SYD to LAX to SFO!!  It was alright but non-stop would be better of course.  I'll continue to search but your firsthand knowledge would be great.

Thanks,

~Nancy

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, oakridger said:

If you fly from Auckland to San Francisco which airline would you choose for business class, preferably non-stop.

Not a New Zealander, but there are non-stop flights on Air New Zealand and on United, which uses San Francisco as a hub for transpacific flights. They are both in Star Alliance and they code-share, so each also lists the other's flights.

• Like 7

Great @kochleffelthanks!  I was going to check United next.  I have a bunch of miles on American Airlines but to use them I would have to fly from SFO to Dallas then all the way back to Auckland!!  Plus, the miles required has skyrocketed since I last flew that way!!  

My last cruise that went to New Zealand missed the Fiordland National Park and Milford and Dusky sounds because of a big storm so we had to backtrack and go back around the east coast north then over to Tasmania.  I love NZ and really want to go back soon!!!

~Nancy

• Like 10

Good morning.

It is raining and 57°F.

It is a sad day as it is 14 years since Pauline's lovely dad Roy died.

We will be going to the remembrance room at the crematorium later to leave a message and read today's page of the remembrance book.

Yesterday afternoon we went to church and Pauline met the church warden and Pauline entered several new names into the church remembrance book for her.

Graham.

• Like 8