Sunday November 12th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

I approve of French dip sandwiches and of French onion dip, also of happy hour, but I hope that this is actually Anti-Pneumonia Day. For today I switched from a brandy old-fashioned to Irish and soda. Both of these drinks confuse DR servers.

It’s 80+° F on the starboard side of the promenade deck, probably much warmer on the port side, and frigid almost everywhere inside the ship. 

• Like 22

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Ideally we'd like to be in the Port Everglades area or near the FLL airport and can take Uber or taxis to the places we want to get to.  Any suggestions from my Daily family on places you might have stayed that fill these requirements?

Gerry, in the distant past we stayed at some we won’t go back to again. More recently we stayed once at the Hyatt Centric upon Joy’s @Seasick Sailor recommendation and loved it and the area, right in the Las Oslas area, walkable to many restaurants and Ubered other places plus the port which is close. This past April I stayed solo at the Marriott Element which was one of HAL’s pre cruise hotels and I loved it and the staff were wonderful. The restaurant was great for the one evening meal I had there. It’s close to the port too. We were supposed to be shuttled to the ship but it never showed up and the HAL rep was worthless in helping. I was able to tag along with another couple who were using Uber and was very surprised how quickly we got to the ship. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Spending our last evening in Barcelona, we spent our first nights in a boutique hotel a block off of Las Ramblas, with cathedral visits,  delicious tapas, and flamenco dining and dancing @Tablao  Flamenco. We are spending our last 3 nights with sunny skies, 72 degrees (F) on the Mediterranean @Diagonal Hilton. IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.79686200a6533144b5b42dea99a9d199.jpegLooking forward to boarding the Marina tomorrow! 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Sunday. I’ll happily celebrate French Dip day. I love them and am always looking for them on a menu. I make a simplified version at home using thinly sliced rare roast beef from the grocery deli and usually add cheese, and make a jus with canned beef consommé. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but we are having dry rubbed chicken wings with homemade French fries today. I discovered a great way to make fries from Mary Berg. I just love her. I make Debbie’s @dfish recipe for the wings but use a dry spice instead. 

Happy Birthday Jake @Crazy For Cats!

Happy Birthday to Sandi’s @StLouisCruisers DS!

Jane @lazey1 I hope you feel better soon and I’m sorry that you had to cancel your cruise. 

I had a great time last weekend with my girlfriends in Coronado. We had good fellowship and food and wine. The vrbo was beautiful with a huge kitchen. On Saturday we went to the Hotel del Coronado for lunch and were lucky to get a corner area on the outdoor terrace. Just gorgeous. 

1D7D5438-4F2B-4801-B3F6-4333D9E12E1D.thumb.jpeg.b8d0431e2c60e42faf22fccf6577c68d.jpeg

The Westgate was wonderful, thank you for the recommendation Jacqui @kazu!  However, it wasn’t busy, which was nice in a way but weird when we ate in their restaurant and only two tables were occupied.  They happened to be filming one morning, not sure what it was for but I’m thinking maybe a commercial. They filmed different things like a couple checking in, the tea that they have on weekends, dinner in the restaurant, etc. It would be a lovely place for a wedding.  It is very walkable to many downtown areas although we did Uber a lot. Craig and I were able to visit the old apartment we lived in when we were first married and the college we went to but so much has changed, the apartment is run down and the college has grown so much we hardly recognized some areas. Good memories. 
Apartment:
3152FCB6-62CB-4B7D-BB5B-AB9BA262727E.thumb.jpeg.7181378a331c15cb4f965721bd11a551.jpeg

View from the college over Sunset Cliffs. The building in the distance to the far left was Craig’s dorm:

04609149-F532-4297-9345-812AF0451B70.thumb.jpeg.6e7b5d20eacbbd0966dfecc88616d69e.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Addition
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Haven't had a french dip in ages; not my favorite. Pneumonia kills many older folks and people with multiple health issues; thank goodness for antibiotics and vaccines. I will celebrate happy hour today!  I don't get Mel Brooks' quote. Yes to the meal, drink and wine. I haven't been to Havre-Saint-Pierre. Look how the WWW has changed the world!

It's another nice day, currently 50F and sunny. Well, not sure what went on last night. I thought I slept a bit better, but both my Apple watch and Fitbit say I got a little over 2 hours of sleep! And of course on arising, after standing to brush my teeth, the terrible leg pain and numbness started. I hobbled downstairs and made coffee. I feel ok sitting, but can only get up for short periods before it all comes back. The yard could stand a last mowing. I just heard from the person I contacted about an estimate for lawn care and snow removal; he's coming by later to check it out and formulate an estimate.

@rafinmd Bon Voyage Roy!

@Crazy For Cats Happy Birthday Jake!

@StLouisCruisers Happy 49th Birthday to your DS! 

@aliaschief Wow, it sounds like Sue has the World Cruise bug! Enjoy it while you can. Great itinerary. 

@Cruzin Terri I hope Jim is feeling better today.

@RMLincoln The move is almost here! Prayers all goes well. Congrats to your 3 friends on getting their fire certifications.

@Lady Hudson Welcome home and I'm glad you had a good cruise. 

@smitty34877 I'm glad to hear that Tana is feeling a bit better, but sorry the pneumonia has taken such a toll on her physically. I hope you're doing ok too.

@Seasick Sailor A big congrats to your niece passing the bar exam! That's a big accomplishment.

@Heartgrove Very nice that Carnival had a good ceremony honoring Veterans.

@cruising sister I hope you stay well.

@Cruising-along That sounds like a nice day yesterday seeing DDIL's artwork displayed and then dinner with her and DS. 

@kochleffel I really dislike it when it's frigid inside the ships. 

@Norseh2o Your stay sounds delightful. And tomorrow you board Marina!

@Sharon in AZ Thanks for sharing your trip to California.

@marshhawk Welcome home.

@mamaofami I hope you and Sam are doing ok.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and your DH.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Sunday. I’ll happily celebrate French Dip day. I love them and am always looking for them on a menu. I make a simplified version at home using thinly sliced rare roast beef from the grocery deli and usually add cheese, and make a jus with canned beef consommé. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but we are having dry rubbed chicken wings with homemade French fries today. I discovered a great way to make fries from Mary Berg. I just love her. I make Debbie’s @dfish recipe for the wings but use a dry spice instead. 

Happy Birthday Jake @Crazy For Cats!

Happy Birthday to Sandi’s @StLouisCruisers DS!

Jane @lazey1 I hope you feel better soon and I’m sorry that you had to cancel your cruise. 

I had a great time last weekend with my girlfriends in Coronado. We had good fellowship and food and wine. The vrbo was beautiful with a huge kitchen. On Saturday we went to the Hotel del Coronado for lunch and were lucky to get a corner area on the outdoor terrace. Just gorgeous. 

1D7D5438-4F2B-4801-B3F6-4333D9E12E1D.thumb.jpeg.b8d0431e2c60e42faf22fccf6577c68d.jpeg

The Westgate was wonderful, thank you for the recommendation Jacqui @kazu!  However, it wasn’t busy, which was nice in a way but weird when we ate in their restaurant and only two tables were occupied.  They happened to be filming one morning, not sure what it was for but I’m thinking maybe a commercial. They filmed different things like a couple checking in, the tea that they have on weekends, dinner in the restaurant, etc. It would be a lovely place for a wedding.  It is very walkable to many downtown areas although we did Uber a lot. Craig and I were able to visit the old apartment we lived in when we were first married and the college we went to but so much has changed, the apartment is run down and the college has grown so much we hardly recognized some areas. Good memories. 
Apartment:
3152FCB6-62CB-4B7D-BB5B-AB9BA262727E.thumb.jpeg.7181378a331c15cb4f965721bd11a551.jpeg

View from the college over Sunset Cliffs. The building in the distance to the far left was Craig’s dorm:

04609149-F532-4297-9345-812AF0451B70.thumb.jpeg.6e7b5d20eacbbd0966dfecc88616d69e.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

When we were still at Boeing (Apache program, Mesa) we would fly to del Coronado for needed respite. (My sweet husband worked long hours as a production helicopter pilot) Stayed in the old Victorian rooms. Never told a soul.. and my sister lives in San Diego.  Lol.. 

• Like 23

@ger_77  One hotel I wouldn't recommend is Dania Beach Springhill Suites....haven't stayed there in a few years but have stayed there twice....rooms are adequate but worn & dated, breakfast was/is a laugh -- grab & go lukewarm food.  There was/is an airport shuttle & same for a cruise port shuttle -- airport one was free, reasonable cost for the port - make a reservation in the lobby.  Burger King the only close restaurant, some further away but mostly walkable.  If anybody does stay there, I'd appreciate an update in case we do another Caribbean cruise.

Just checked Trip Advisor --- gets pretty bad reviews recently.

Edited by 57redbird
info
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  Taking a short break between finishing the house cleaning and starting the yard work.  It is 64F, so at least I won't get too hot outside.

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@Crazy For Cats, Jake, a VeryHappy Birthday to you!

and a Happy Birthday to Sandi’s DS. @StLouisCruisers! He is a very busy man.

Bon Voyage to Roy @rafinmd. I am enjoying traveling with you vicariously.

It was 32 when we went outside this morning. It will only get up to 42 as a high today. I may even break out the big coat but it seems too soon,

We are very well acquainted with pneumonia here. It has a really long recovery period when there have been multiple episodes. Tana says that she is feeling better but she is quite debilitated physically this time. We have no aide on the weekends but slowly work through the necessary tasks together. I told her it was Happy Hour Day and we both had a good laugh. 
I would love to see today’s port. Maybe some day. Thanks to all that post pictures. And thanks to all for the Daily. It is such a positive part of the day for me.

Terry, I'm glad Tana is feeing better, but very sorry the pneumonia took such a toll on her physically.

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. 

I can't believe it is already Sunday. Last week flew by. 

Our little neighbor pup goes home today. Her parents were on a cruise out of Galveston and are on their way home. Oliver wants to play with her but she's a senior dog (12) and prefers napping over playing. 

Prayers have been lifted for all on our cares list. Thank you Vanessa. 

Happiest Birthday to Sandi's son and @Crazy For Cats

image.png.8521d357e1017080af173b25e5348673.png

Bon Voyage to our dear friend Roy

image.png.aef6caacf39d26870072fd475ea6c92b.png

Not sure if I told you my niece passed her bar exam. I'm so proud of her.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead. Blessings to you on this Sunday morning. 

Joy, congratulations to your niece on passing the bar.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@StLouisCruisersSandi, sometimes hotels show as sold out when they haven’t released rooms for the next year. I’m always anxious to book early (and then keep checking for lower rates) but have run into the “sold out” situation fairly often. A bit later, everything opens up.

I'm like you, try to book as early as possible and keep checking for lower rates.  Most of the time prices go up!  This hotel is right next to the rental car drop off place.  I just phoned the hotel and she said she wasn't sure why it's listed as Sold Out but would try to find out if it's a new policy since the hotel has a different owner now.  It's a Hilton chain hotel but I guess a new owner could try to go around Hilton's usual policies if they wanted to.  I'm hoping she can find something out and calls me back.  Meanwhile, I'll keep trying!

Meanwhile, DS says thank you for the birthday wishes everyone!

• Like 18

10 hours ago, Denise T said:

Happy Sunday, Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Chilly but sunny day. The pollen count is high. I am feeling it. Planning on taking Fancy out for a long walk. Then I will meal prep for the week including a crock pot soup and meatloaf. 

I will try the meal and drink of the day. Both sound yummy. I will be sailing from Quebec next October. Any recommendations for a nice pre-cruise hotel? 

Thinking of all who are on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.11a703e9f3cdfc369bcdbb45be4e54da.png

My recommendation would be Hotel des Coutellier in the lower town of Quebec City. We’ve stayed there twice and enjoyed it very much both times.  It’s at the end of Rue St. Paul where the galleries are located.  In the morning your continental breakfast is hung in a basket outside your room.  The rates were reasonable as well.

• Like 14

55 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

My recommendation would be Hotel des Coutellier in the lower town of Quebec City. We’ve stayed there twice and enjoyed it very much both times.  It’s at the end of Rue St. Paul where the galleries are located.  In the morning your continental breakfast is hung in a basket outside your room.  The rates were reasonable as well.

I second this recommendation.  We stayed there once and loved it!  Will stay again when/if we're in Q.C.

• Like 14

i am back. I loved Rome, and our haunted hotel room, i loved our day at Delos, our Day at Ephesus, i started feeling weird in Santorini and ended up in the ship hospital  by day two of the part two of the back to back.  I will catch up tomorrow, or at least try, as I have not had more than two hours sleep together in the last 15 days.  I missed you all!  Hugs, Annie

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13

28 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

i am back. I loved Rome, and our haunted hotel room, i loved our day at Delos, our Day at Ephesus, i started feeling weird in Santorini and ended up in the ship hospital  by day two of the part two of the back to back.  I will catch up tomorrow, or at least try, as I have not had more than two hours sleep together in the last 15 days.  I missed you all!  Hugs, Annie

Glad you are home safely, but so sorry about being ill.  I hope it didn't last the whole time.  

• Like 12

Oh Annie!  Glad you’re back home and hope you get some good sleep. Thanks for checking in. 

We made through today!  I am totally done in!  Hoping to recover overnight. Not sure I’m ready for the packers but ready or not…. they’ll do the rest.  I made food for tonight and tomorrow… very basic. I won’t have pan’s tomorrow.  I do have 2 plastic plates coming with us, 2 cereal bowls, 2 sets of camping utensils. My friend took a bunch of pantry food. Tuesday she’ll take whatever she wants from the fridge and freezer but there’s not much left!  

I washed sheets today so they’ll be almost fresh when they get packed. Kept finding more stuff!  And I’m sure we’ll find more tomorrow!  Have 2 or 3 boxes still open to toss last minute stuff into. Unmarried granddaughter asked if her fiancé might be useful Friday if he can change work schedule!  Heck yes!  I’ll take all the help we can get!  I can’t believe how much harder this seems than just 3 years ago!  Maybe I just don’t remember how really bad that was!  But now is now and it’ll all work!  Thank you all so much for your encouragement!
Good night all!  

Maureen 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Oh Annie!  Glad you’re back home and hope you get some good sleep. Thanks for checking in. 

We made through today!  I am totally done in!  Hoping to recover overnight. Not sure I’m ready for the packers but ready or not…. they’ll do the rest.  I made food for tonight and tomorrow… very basic. I won’t have pan’s tomorrow.  I do have 2 plastic plates coming with us, 2 cereal bowls, 2 sets of camping utensils. My friend took a bunch of pantry food. Tuesday she’ll take whatever she wants from the fridge and freezer but there’s not much left!  

I washed sheets today so they’ll be almost fresh when they get packed. Kept finding more stuff!  And I’m sure we’ll find more tomorrow!  Have 2 or 3 boxes still open to toss last minute stuff into. Unmarried granddaughter asked if her fiancé might be useful Friday if he can change work schedule!  Heck yes!  I’ll take all the help we can get!  I can’t believe how much harder this seems than just 3 years ago!  Maybe I just don’t remember how really bad that was!  But now is now and it’ll all work!  Thank you all so much for your encouragement!
Good night all!  

Maureen 

Maureen, It’s been a lot of work and frustration but your hard work will soon reap benefits.🙏 Bruce

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1