The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 30th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon everyone from a gloomy, gray Boston.  Not the best sort of day for William and Kate to arrive for their visit.  Computer security is important every day.  Mousse sounds pretty good to me so hats off to that and to Barbados Independence Day as well.  The pork chops sound delicious, I’m sure it would pair nicely with the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port, so I’ll have to enjoy it through photos.  Prayers for those that need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 17

St Andrew’s Day is on November 30 and is a day for Scots to celebrate their patron saint, Saint Andrew.

The Scottish celebratory day is also known as the Feast of Saint Andrew and much like St George’s Day in England, St Patrick’s Day in Ireland and St David’s Day in Wales – the annual event brings together families and friends to celebrate their nation’s rich culture.

The day has been celebrated for over a thousand years dating back as early as 1000 AD, but it wasn’t until the 18th century that the annual celebration became commonplace.

St Andrew became the official patron saint after Scotland declared its independence in 1320 with the ancient town of St Andrews being named and claimed as his final resting place.

Andrew was Jesus Christ’s first disciple and an apostle, according to the New Testament.

He is the brother of Simon Peter and is a son of Jonah and preached the teachings of Jesus around the globe.

St Andrew’s blessings were felt far and wide beyond Scotland and for that reason he is also a patron saint in many other countries including Russia, Spain, Romania, Barbados and Ukraine.

St Andrew was crucified on an X-shaped cross in Greece on 30 November 60 AD, which is now represented by the white cross of the Scottish flag.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Good morning all!

We got at least 3 inches of snow yesterday/last night which surprised me.  But living in the convergent zone will do that.  So I'm house-bound, don't drive in the stuff unless absolutely necessary.  More than that, I somehow picked up a flu bug 😞  How I do not know, because I haven't been anywhere or seen anyone since Thanksgiving and nobody in the family was sick.  Will test for Covid today, but this seems to be more of a stomach bug (again, where on earth did I get this).  I even wondered if it could be a delayed reaction to the flu shot I got on Saturday....but doubtful.

Cheers to all on the celebrations list and prayers for all on the care list.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to all.Rain is starting here  with a temperature  drop and winds arriving later .I will salute  all of the days and have not been to the port. The recipes look delicious,thanks  so much  Debbie  @dfish.

@kazu, Jacqui. I am very happy to hear  that your foot is improving.I hope the predicted ice does not come to your area.

@Lady Hudson, Katherine,  Bon Voyage  to you and your DH .

@aliaschiefBruce, Sorry you had to change your plans but I am sure it is for the best.Feel better soon.

We are coping with a few issues here that are worrying.Tana has a fever and  will see the Hospice nurse today. She rarely complains  but did tell me this morning that  she  feels unwell.

I had an MRI of my hip Monday and it disclosed several  things that prompted  the Doc to get me an ortho appointment  fairly soon. I will see that Doctor  December  13 or sooner if there is a cancelation. Usually one can wait 2 or 3 months for an appointment. 

Anyway, I hope everyone  has an enjoyable  day.

Terry, extra prayers for you and Tana.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Computer security is important. I'll salute Barbados independence. Mousse (chocolate) is ok if well made. Good quote. I like the meal and wine. Pass on the drink.

I haven't been to Fortaleza.

We've had a big 30 degree temperature drop, and it's been raining and windy this morning. I spent last evening and this morning going through photos, background music, etc for the tribute slideshow for BFF's DF. I've sent it to BFF for review before submitting it. Of course my eye chose today to flare up. Probably stress; but at least it's the eye that less frequently flares and it should resolve fairly quickly with drops. I tried on some things to decide on what to wear to the funeral. I really need a coat that's a bit dressier, but no time to shop for one.

@MISTER 67 Enjoy your golf game today!

@aliaschief I hope you're feeling fit to fly soon. Lots of viral stuff going around.

@kazu It's good to hear that your foot is improving. 

@ger_77 Brrrr. I'm glad it's not that cold here.

@Seasick Sailor Good luck at the dentist. I've had a small ulcer on my gum that's really painful; I'm only eating soft stuff. I was going to go to the dentist, but then the issue with BFF's DF came up and I've postponed going. It seems to be slowly healing. 

@Lady Hudson An early Bon Voyage!

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm sure the cookies will be appreciated by the rehab staff. And woohoo on DH coming home tomorrow.

@rafinmd Thanks for our lists and the link to your blog post on Fortaleza.

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear that Tana is feeling less well and about the fever. Prayers for her, and for you on the hip issues.

@lindaler Wow on the storms. I'm glad you and your son are ok. 

@luvteaching I'm glad DH didn't get injured. I hope you hear from the Wound Care team. 

@Cruising-along Feel better!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  Welcome newcomers, prayers for Tana and everyone who needs them, and I'll toast this evening to those on ships and celebrating.  Here it's a waiting game, to see how DH progresses and if we will be cruising next month.  This week should tell the tale.  I study my Navigator every day to see the waiting days' count going down!   And I got an email today to say HAL doesn't have all our immigration information, so I guess Pat will have to organize that.  

I had forgotten, but Roy reminded me, we were in Fortaleza on March 3, 2019 on the Prinsendam.  We did take a very interesting tour, along with Sherita, @scluvsrain!  They do love their graffiti/art in Brazil.  

P1070740.thumb.JPG.17519352ec9eac582ab9f9d8b8da8ef7.JPG

The "city beach"

P1070743.thumb.JPG.03089f27808dddc9b29d0698a8274350.JPG

In the cathedralP1070778.thumb.JPG.c1754bf0efe0cd33be3478c69d560e0a.JPG

In the huge, multi-level market

P1070791.thumb.JPG.3d782503f05d7058e3de943752f8153e.JPG

The beautiful theatre

P1070751.thumb.JPG.172bcde1fe838688f0f281b60ba02d3e.JPG

P1070754.thumb.JPG.855ef48ee69138093828684a488c4257.JPG

Another beach

P1070807.thumb.JPG.ebe215ee7d0316110e63a92b23867058.JPG

Graffiti

P1070734.thumb.JPG.7cfc983d2d65e10794fbbaa505419399.JPG

P1070080.thumb.JPG.7cd0b4684c7474f3060018cdd3effd85.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Hello Dailyites!

Well, our highly anticipated 21 days on the Nieuw Statendam fizzled. Fooey.

Long story’s short: DH was diagnosed with pneumonia on Day 3 at the NS Medical Centre and on Day 4, we disembarked in Grand Turk to board an air ambulance to Miami.

Jackson Memorial Hospital is huge but it doesn’t have empty beds. We are still camping out in a room in the ER some16+ hours after arrival. I have stayed with DH throughout, and all our luggage. If and when he gets admitted, then I’ll worry about Hotel etc.  Being sleep deprived does not make for happy campers. I have been trying to channel some of the strength many of you have demonstrated when dealing with far worse situations. My success rate is not impressive.

The good news is that treatment. And let’s hear it for trip insurance!

The Medical Center and every member of staff were outstanding!

We are heartbroken but are already planning the next one.

-Cat

• Like 7
  • Thanks 21

9 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

Long story’s short: DH was diagnosed with pneumonia on Day 3 at the NS Medical Centre and on Day 4, we disembarked in Grand Turk to board an air ambulance to Miami.

Jackson Memorial Hospital is huge but it doesn’t have empty beds. We are still camping out in a room in the ER some16+ hours after arrival. I have stayed with DH throughout, and all our luggage. If and when he gets admitted, then I’ll worry about Hotel etc.  Being sleep deprived does not make for happy campers. I have been trying to channel some of the strength many of you have demonstrated when dealing with far worse situations. My success rate is not impressive.

-Cat

Cat.. "DAM IT"

I'm so sorry you are heartbroken. I understand your pain. At least you were close enough to get back into a US hospital. We got stuck in Costa Rica but the hospital was awesome.

God bless you both and pray your husband heals quickly.

image.png.daf921a8180471ac8689e242b90f6f22.png

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy, and all who post.  Welcome newcomers, prayers for Tana and everyone who needs them, and I'll toast this evening to those on ships and celebrating.  Here it's a waiting game, to see how DH progresses and if we will be cruising next month.  This week should tell the tale.  I study my Navigator every day to see the waiting days' count going down!   And I got an email today to say HAL doesn't have all our immigration information, so I guess Pat will have to organize that.  

I had forgotten, but Roy reminded me, we were in Fortaleza on March 3, 2019 on the Prinsendam.  We did take a very interesting tour, along with Sherita, @scluvsrain!  They do love their graffiti/art in Brazil.  

The "city beach"

The beautiful theatre

Another beach

Graffiti

Sherita is one of our favorite fellow passengers!

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

So sorry that your DH came down with pneumonia, hopefully he is on the road to recovery and all will be well soon.

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

So sorry to hear this. Was hoping to meet you when we board the NS this Saturday. Hope he gets well soon. And you are right, thank goodness for trip insurance. There motto should be don’t leave home without it!

• Like 13

@Vict0riann Thanks for the photos. I hope you will get to cruise next month.

39 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

So sorry to hear of DH's pneumonia. Thank goodness for good travel insurance. Prayers for his quick recovery.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@Ichiban NekkoCat - I am so sorry to hear about this. Coincidentally, my sister told me about this. She, her DH, DS and DGD had Thanksgiving with you and your DH at mutual friends’  house. I did not realize it was you and DH. Hope things go well and he gets into a room and recovers quickly.

Healing wishes for all dailyites, their families and friends.

Joy to those with something to celebrate

Sandy

• Like 17

Good afternoon on a sunny, but cold and windy day.  It feels good to be sitting by the window in the sun.  They keep the rooms cooler here than we normally keep the temperature at home.

Today is a red letter day.  There is a progress chart on the wall in DH's room.  When he first got here most everything was marked dependent or substantial help.  Now everything is maked as independent.

@cat shepard Ann, and @kazuJacqui, sorry for naming the wrong one as being stuck at the dealership for hours.

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

On a second thought as I was getting ready for trip I realized I’m not fit to fly. I have had a head cold that everyone has experienced when granddaughter brought home from pre school. My head is draining like a sieve and I’ve been hacking up phlegm enough that I have strained a chest muscle. Everyone has tested negative for Covid since this started and all negative. It’s a barnstormer head cold that I don’t need to spread around.

We will try to fly home again Monday. 

Bruce, I'm sorry you caught that nasty cold, but I admire you for thinking of others and waiting several days to fly home.  The bonus is more time with the family.

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Wednesday Night from the Noordam

@Quartzsite Cruiser I am so pleased to hear that your DH is coming home. I hope he continues to do well. You are both in my prayers. 
       @MISTER 67 Glad you are back out on the course. Be careful and “hi Tim straight”! 
     As much as I am loving every minute of this trip, I do miss golf. I will need to take lessons when I return!

@Lady Hudsonhave a wonderful trip ! 
       We will be in Geraldton in the morning. First time for Noordam at this port. We were in Exmouth yesterday but that is a story for another time. 
     We are wearing masks on the ship, tenders. Don’t know what the numbers are but they are real skiddish because of the Princess ship. It’s ok, really used to it and my family has stayed well  ( knock wood)

stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

Thank you, Charlene.

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to all.Rain is starting here  with a temperature  drop and winds arriving later .I will salute  all of the days and have not been to the port. The recipes look delicious,thanks  so much  Debbie  @dfish.

@kazu, Jacqui. I am very happy to hear  that your foot is improving.I hope the predicted ice does not come to your area.

@Lady Hudson, Katherine,  Bon Voyage  to you and your DH .

@aliaschiefBruce, Sorry you had to change your plans but I am sure it is for the best.Feel better soon.

We are coping with a few issues here that are worrying.Tana has a fever and  will see the Hospice nurse today. She rarely complains  but did tell me this morning that  she  feels unwell.

I had an MRI of my hip Monday and it disclosed several  things that prompted  the Doc to get me an ortho appointment  fairly soon. I will see that Doctor  December  13 or sooner if there is a cancelation. Usually one can wait 2 or 3 months for an appointment. 

Anyway, I hope everyone  has an enjoyable  day.

Terry, I'm sorry you and Tana are dealing with issues that are worrying. Sending positive thoughts that everything works out all right.

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. I was up a good portion of last night. Phone alerts going off. Wind swirling around at 70mph, and rain like a fire hose was covering my house. Lightning and thunder had no breaks between the strikes, just continuous booming and lighting the whole house. I never lost power and one of my sons was worried enough that we were comparing information from news about the spotted tornadoes on our phones.  He knew I would be awake during the storm. But today is calm and we have received no visible damage.  School are out or delayed, some buildings were torn apart but the storm is over for now. And the sun is even peaking out and it is 70 degrees. I have my first cup of coffee after going back to sleep for a few hours. Life is good. Hope others are doing ok in the storm that is up in the northwest and northeast. 

Linda, that is great news you and your son survived the storm without damage or loss of power.  

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Well the snowstorm in this area fizzled out. We got wind and rain overnight but just a slight dusting of the white stuff. 

I got the tree up yesterday and the lights on. The facility called mid-afternoon and told me that they'd gone in DH's room and he was sitting on the floor. He wanted to get in bed and was tired of waiting for them to help. He seemed to be fine and they were going to be monitoring him every 15 minutes. No follow up. calls so he should be ok. I called at 8:00 AM to ask to have the Wound Care team call me (they are only there on Wednesday) as DH has a deep tissue injury on his left heel. It's now 9:23 AM and no call (they are usually gone before 9:00) so we'll see if anything comes of it. Being an advocate takes a lot of work! 

Meanwhile I'll get a few things done here, let it warm up a bit and then head in to see DH and spend some time. 

Mousse - he loves the daily mousse specials in the Lido on a BHB! when we go for lunch I am asked to get him his mousse first so he has it while I get the rest of lunch and then he gets a second one for dessert! 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad your DH had no ill effects from the incident yesterday, and I hope the wound in his foot improves soon.  Being and advocate is hard.  I am lucky that DH could also advocate for himself.

47 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

The "city beach"

The beautiful theatre

Another beach

Graffiti

Ann, sending positive thoughts that Pat improves and you are able to go on your cruise.  Also, thank you for the pictures of today's port.

46 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

Cat, I'm so sorry your DH has pneumonia, but glad he could get to a good hospital.  I hope he improves quickly and gets out of the ER and into a room soon.  Good that you had travel insurance.

29 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Cat.. "DAM IT"

I'm so sorry you are heartbroken. I understand your pain. At least you were close enough to get back into a US hospital. We got stuck in Costa Rica but the hospital was awesome.

God bless you both and pray your husband heals quickly.

image.png.daf921a8180471ac8689e242b90f6f22.png

Joy, Costa Rica is known for having good hospitals.  It is another medical tourist destination.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

I am so sorry to hear this.Thank goodness for  trip insurance.I hope DH feels better soon.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good afternoon everyone from a gloomy, gray Boston.  Not the best sort of day for William and Kate to arrive for their visit.

IOW, it will seem just like home. I was reading an article about how many British houses were built to let as much sun in as possible (many large windows), and others were built to prevent heat loss (fewer and smaller windows), neither of which is ideal for all conditions.

• Like 11

@Ichiban NekkoI am so sorry to hear of your husband's pneumonia.   I sure hope he can get a bed soon.  You must be so exhausted.   

@smitty34877Prayers for Tana.   

@Cruising-along I hope that you feel better soon and hoping it is a reaction to your flu shot.    

@Vict0riannThank you for the photos of Alter Do Chao!   

@StLouisCruisersI am glad you are going to the Boi Bumba show.  You probably remember when one of the Dailyites posted a rousing video of the show when Parintins was the port of the day.  That is one of the first shore excursions we booked for our cruise. He recommended getting there early and getting a front row seat.   Please share some pictures.  

My visit with DB was great today.    He looks a lot better and so happy to see that he only has a small bend in his knee that they have the brace on.   When he spent the night at the hospital they did not put the Pic in his chest they just reinserted it in his right arm.   I was so happy to see my dear nephew when I arrived.   I don't think I have seen him since Christmas last  year.   After he left I had a nice visit with DB and shortly thereafter my younger DS showed up.   Lots of company and encouragement for DB today.  Costco was a mess, I will not go back there until we return from our cruise.   

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

Cat

I am so sorry to read this. I know how much you two had been looking forward to the cruise.   Happy to read it is treatable. 

May he recover quickly and may you both get decent sleep. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 12

12 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon on a sunny, but cold and windy day.  It feels good to be sitting by the window in the sun.  They keep the rooms cooler here than we normally keep the temperature at home.

Today is a red letter day.  There is a progress chart on the wall in DH's room.  When he first got here most everything was marked dependent or substantial help.  Now everything is maked as independent.

@cat shepard Ann, and @kazuJacqui, sorry for naming the wrong one as being stuck at the dealership for hours.

Bruce, I'm sorry you caught that nasty cold, but I admire you for thinking of others and waiting several days to fly home.  The bonus is more time with the family.

Thank you, Charlene.

Terry, I'm sorry you and Tana are dealing with issues that are worrying. Sending positive thoughts that everything works out all right.

Linda, that is great news you and your son survived the storm without damage or loss of power.  

Karen, I'm glad your DH had no ill effects from the incident yesterday, and I hope the wound in his foot improves soon.  Being and advocate is hard.  I am lucky that DH could also advocate for himself.

Ann, sending positive thoughts that Pat improves and you are able to go on your cruise.  Also, thank you for the pictures of today's port.

Cat, I'm so sorry your DH has pneumonia, but glad he could get to a good hospital.  I hope he improves quickly and gets out of the ER and into a room soon.  Good that you had travel insurance.

Joy, Costa Rica is known for having good hospitals.  It is another medical tourist destination.

Lenda

Lenda, do not ever apologize for confusing me with Jacqui. I take it as a compliment. 

Ann

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@Ichiban Nekko I’m very sorry to hear that you needed to leave the ship because of your husband’s illness and hope that he is on the road to recovery.

Your post has made me realize that I must start buying travel insurance.  Since I didn’t know where to start I posted my question in the “insurance forum” 

I would appreciate any advice the Dailyites are able to give me.

Positive thoughts to all who need them and cheers to all who are celebrating or cruising.

• Like 11

Hello Dailyites!

-Cat

So sorry to read this. And I agree, trip insurance is a wonderful thing.

• Like 10