Sunday December 17th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

IMG_8734.thumb.jpeg.a62d7426af1719fc5e57d125adf9bcfa.jpeg

For those of you who enjoyed the poem @bennybear posted yesterday, I encourage you to read more of Donna Ashworth’s poetry.  In her own words, she is, “ sharing the dark with the light to harness hope”.  She has several books.

IMG_8732.jpeg.147cfbcdc514f1aa3b34a1d46e51089a.jpeg

I am embarrassed to admit that when I was invited to an “ugly sweater part” I borrowed a sweater from my Mom. It was a sweater she regularly wore during the Christmas season.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a sunny Quartzsite where there may be a few clouds on the horizon.  It was 39F when I got up about 45 minutes ago.  The weather app says it is now 45F with a 4mph breeze.  Our high will be 71F.  We'll be in the low 70s until Friday when a cool front comes in to lower our temperatures into the 60s, and there is a significant chance of rain Friday.

Even this Texan who is currently in Arizona has Canadian maple syrup in the pantry.  I don't have an ugly sweater, and I rarely need the two sweaters I have.  The Wright Brothers probably would be very surprised to see what developed after that first flight.

I like the Mark Twain quote, and I interpret a sleepy conscience to mean you haven't done anything seriously bad for your conscience to bother you.

I like lamb but DH doesn't so I'll get my lamb fix on Koningsdam in a little more than a month.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the white Pinot Noir.  

We were in Ocho Rios on a cruise in the late 1990s. so all the pictures are in an album in Texas.  That day we hired a taxi to take us on a tour, and that was an interesting experience.  Evidently, she did not have any coolant in the radiator, and we'd have to stop regularly to add water.  In 1975. we spent a week in Falmouth at an all inclusive resort and rented a car for three days to tour the island.  At that time it was a safe place, except Kingston on the other side of the island.  Jamaica is a beautiful island sadly with a lot of poverty and crime now.

In 1903, the Wright Brothers started a transportation revolution.

In 1983 the triple transplant of three organs must have been a very delicate surgery, and a step forward in organ transplantation.

@RedneckBob, RNB, @dobiemom Marcia, and @POA1 Brian, welcome home.  Brian, I enjoyed your live from very much.

@dobiemom  Marcia, safe travels to Jacksonville and enjoy your visit there.  Also, safe travels Wednesday to you and your Mom as you fly to California Wednesday.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, it is always good to read that the MDR Maître d turned away people sloppily dressed on Dressy Night.  We noticed the same thing on Koningsdam.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the worst of the storm misses you. 

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I hope a day ashore, or at least a day docked, helps your DH feel better.  Thanks for the picture of the rainbow.

@grapau27  Graham, your friends are very lucky to have you and Pauline in their lives.  I hope things get better for Pauline's friend and her DH.

@St Pete Cruiser  That is good news that St Petersburg got some much needed rain.  I hope there was not any flooding or damage to the area.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the throws turn up soon.  This time of year it seems things take longer to arrive.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad you are enjoying the visit.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, cruising is one chance I have to wear some of the nicer clothes that spend most of their time in the closet.  I'm also a jeans or shorts, t-shirt and sandals girl.

@summer slope Dixie, we've only sailed from Ft. Lauderdale twice when we were in Arizona.  The first time we flew and had to go the day before.  The second time, we took Statendam through the Panama canal and spent two days in FLL pre-cruise.  It is easier to sail out of San Diego or the LA area, where we can drive over the same day.

409188146_840515871407767_6438886879134779724_n.jpg.6deb35c49e8ab160a120296d0af2153a.jpg

350839679_205714372386519_842047485469057728_n.jpg.de1dae55ad4153ea4a71f640ddff5a10.jpg

358061917_660370862802945_2112476874341310760_n.jpg.e1cbaf44301fa62eee11b688e46c88db.jpg

406422208_892627695758791_2937000620491057380_n.thumb.jpg.5a656cbf45aa05d3df2ea9f7d3b1ae40.jpg

408739402_7017202135066343_1617002715869914366_n.thumb.jpg.38a118c102356abcd1ec9b0e022ac5bc.jpg

366617771_682379157268782_903182840596032604_n.jpg.7bbed2aae750e8f43cb819e3862d2ea5.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rather dreary day here in mid-Michigan.  Temperatures are mild for December, but it is dark and gloomy out.  We finally made it to the Christmas walk at the gardens last night.  It was just too crowded last weekend.  It was still crowded last night, but nothing like it had been.  It was very enjoyable and the display was lovely.  

@grapau27 my condolences to Paulines friend on the passing of her DM.  That kind of scares me because my hernia could easily create strangulated intestines.  I'll be very happy when the surgery is over and hopefully my pain won't be so severe.

Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950.  Welcome home to many Dailyites who have ended their cruise.  

Nothing is on the agenda today except a trip to the grocery store.  Otherwise, it is a fire in the fireplace and Netflix.

I am not a fan of lamb unless it is seasoned well.  I'm not sure this one would be seasoned to my liking.  This website uses Italian seasoning on everything.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-roast-lamb-with-vegetables/

roastlambwithvegetables1.thumb.jpg.858afc698875cd72820a71c9df7bb9c2.jpg

This one uses a different seasoning blend.  The garlic may do the trick. It calls for a boneless leg of lamb.  Most stores will remove the bone for you.    https://www.thespruceeats.com/roast-lamb-with-root-vegetables-2216633

roastlambwithvegetables2.thumb.jpg.bf7192388d73cd4fce7e37f6f36d3ccd.jpg

This site gives us a tour of the lamb farm and how you go from pasture to table.  Interesting information.  https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/slow-roast-lamb-shoulder/

roastlambwithvegetables3.jpg.c9513da3d4d9a0b5af2950ddbb5dd562.jpg

This last one probably doesn't fit the Easy part of the meal title, but it sounds the best to me.  I like the seasoning blend and the vegetable medley.  I'd give this a try.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/kleftiko-greek-lamb-in-parchment/

roastlambwithvegetables4.thumb.jpg.af076c9ad03d3bf70e07b4492b721278.jpg

Wishing you a wonderful day!

They both had Spigelian Hernias Debbie.

Best wishes for a successful repair of your hernia and no pain.

• Like 11

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'll celebrate Canadian Maple syrup and the Wright Brothers. I don't own an ugly Christmas sweater. Not sure about the sleepy conscience part of the quote. I like roast lamb, but never make it myself. Pass on the drink and on the white wine. I haven't been to Ocho Rios, and from what I hear I'm not missing anything. 2 important days in history.

It's cloudy here and will be raining shortly. Then the temps will drop and we'll get some snow tomorrow, but not more than 2". I slept a little better - 3.5 hours. I didn't get more than a half hour's sleep in the recliner yesterday; but I did finish watching Call The Midwife. BFF went to the TSO concert last night; we've gone for many years, but I told him I couldn't walk to our seats or go down the steep arena steps. We really need to discuss Christmas, as I can't see how I can cook, since I can't stand very long - we should either postpone or go out to eat. 

@seagarsmoker @Petunia1950 Bon Voyage!

@dobiemom Welcome back. Enjoy your time in Jacksonville with family.

@grapau27 Condolences to Pauline's friend on the loss of her Mam, and Pauline. I'm also sorry to hear that her friend is in so much pain following her operation. And bless you for helping the friend's DH out after his own surgery. So much going on for them. 

@Crazy For Cats Too bad the weather is so variable there. Nice photo of you two.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos. I always thought I'd get to Jamaica with my best friend from college who was from there, to see the non-touristy parts, but sadly he passed away a few years ago.

@smitty34877 That was kind of DD to do for the workers. Can you at least park near your house now?

@kazu Beautiful amaryllis. My Christmas cactus (really a Thanksgiving one based on the leaf shape) finally has a couple of flowers for the first time in years. 

@kochleffel I hope the furnace is an easy fix. 

@bennybear That was a very moving post yesterday. 

@57redbird I hope you're feeling better.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. 

Dear Graham and Pauline, I'm so saddened by the news of both Pauline's friend in pain post surgery and her friends mam passing. 

It was another bumpy ride on the beautiful Rotterdam last night. 

We've arrived in Grand Turk and I see a sliver of sunshine.

If the weather holds we may rent a golf cart and drive up to the lighthouse. See and feed the gaggle of donkeys hoping for a carrot.

My prayers go out to all those on Vanessa's care list, Sandi's list, and mine. I pray for all the worn torn innocents who are suffering, especially Israel, Ukraine, Gaza. 

We met a man last night that just returned from Maui to see his son and DIL. He was sickened by the sight of Lahaina town. Still have residents who lost homes, jobs and no where to go.

Last night I forgot to mention on Gala night the people wanting to get in the dining room with torn t-shirts, shorts, and a couple wearing matching Santa pajama pants. Luckily, our Maitre d had other plans for them..

If the weather holds up we will join the masses at Seaview for cocktails at sail away. (2:30)

Blessings to you on this Sunday morning. 

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Here where I live it's 45F with cloudy skies.  Temp will rise as high as 58 and remain cloudy.  I suppose there is a chance of some rain since there is a monsoon moving up the coast of Florida and Georgia into South Carolina right now.  My words, not the weather channel!  We are on the edge of that rain.  Feeling very sorry for @seagarsmoker since he and DW were driving down to Florida today, weren't they? Apologies if I have my days mixed up.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Hopefully you're on the edge of it too up in Athens.⛈️

Let's celebrate Canadian maple syrup and the Wright Brothers today!  I have a feeling ugly sweater day was a couple of days ago and I'm happy to see it gone.  They even had a Hallmark Christmas movie with that theme this week!  I like the quote and I suppose I could go for the roast lamb with vegetables.  Front porch peach tea (without alcohol) is my go-to beverage and what I drink when neighbor Brenda and I have our "coffee klatches" on my front porch.  If there is such a thing as white pinot noir I would give it a try.  Both the days in history were great moments in time.  Thanks to our friends Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today!

Prayers will be said for our Care list from the Daily ASAP, and lets not forget those at war, the hostages held and our military under attack as well.  Also for me personally my DB and close friends with health problems to face.  Prayers also for Graham @grapau27 and Pauline @Paw13's friend and the loss of her DM.  🙏 We especially pray for Vanessa @JazzyV with such horrible pain issues and practically no sleep at all these past months.🙏  Meanwhile we should not forget everyone with cruises and happy events to celebrate! 🥂  Bon voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950!  🚢  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for getting the list done each day during all the turmoil in her life.  We appreciate you so much!❤️

The port this morning is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  The last two times we had it here was Nov. 25, 2021 and March 4, 2022.  I spent literally an hour or two last night searching for March 4, 2022 on the Holland America section of CC.  Someone had asked a question at the end of that topic 6 months later so I found it in the September 2022 section.  They did not get an answer!  Maybe it's a good thing to lock the Daily the following day, if only for my sanity!  Here are the links:

Searching on CC does not work for me.  I tried that numerous times!  We visited Ocho Rios on December 14, 2022 so just over a year ago, but it wasn't a big deal for us.  A quick on and off the ship.  Jamaica is definitely not a favorite island to visit!

Hoping you all have a very nice day.  Please be careful out there and stay safe and well!

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27, Graham and Pauline, I am sending my condolences to you both for the death of her friend’s mam and to their families. It sounds as if Pauline’s friend had her hands full with her own surgery. I find that sometimes everything can happen at once in life.

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! My part of Florida got lists of rain and though it was windy, we only had brief periods of intense winds. Hope my fellow Floridians are all well. This morning it is still windy, but no rain - yet. I am sure my drive to the gym will be interesting. 

IMG_2218.jpeg.c9ff2449949fe12d8f3878c49a5af2a9.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your meeting the neurosurgeon finds a path to permanent pain relief and great night sleeps.

Gym, Aldi, branch patrol, Bindi walks, and dinner at a friend’s. If weather permits, we will walk around a local town center that does an amazing light display with donations supporting a local charity.

IMG_2212.jpeg.4b41721b9e6756b2e0e02cfeb978f7c6.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg.6ec38eed443e64d09a94755c7b67871f.jpeg

IMG_2215.jpeg.c48d770957cc8e3558fc5b4c0dac8169.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain & conditions and grieving losses of loved ones. @bennybear Brenda thank you for yesterday’s amazing post❤️
@smitty34877Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 
@grapau27 Graham, my condolences to you and Pauline. Bless you both for helping your friends. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

2021 Amity Vineyards Willamette Valley white Pinot Noir

Yes, @StLouisCruisers Sandi white Pinot Noirs are real! I took some liberties with the vintage & used the 2021 vintage instead of the 2020. I found much more info on this vintage. I have enjoyed this white Pinot noir. An interesting concept, but it shares a great many attributes as its red cousin. Thousands of consumers give it an excellent- superb rating. The one critic review I found rated it very good. I found a decent number of distributors with prices starting at $18.99.

Winemaker Notes

The Amity White Pinot Noir was sourced from a mix of vineyards located predominately in the Eola-Amity Hills AVA of the Willamette Valley. The fruit was picked in the cool early morning and gently pressed to minimize color and tannin extraction yet provide the subtle layers of tart and juicy fruit. After settling for 24 hours, the juice is cleanly racked and fermented in a stainless-steel tank. We age this wine sur lie to create generous yet soft texture, and provide balance to its mouthwatering finish.

89 Wine Enthusiast 

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, that's incredible how many major events can happen in one family, all at the same time like Terry @smitty34877 said!  As I said on yesterday's Daily this morning when I read of the DM's death, I am so sorry to hear of your and Pauline's friends' mam passing and of the pain she is suffering from.  It is so nice of Pauline to help her out and for you to assist the husband after his knee replacement surgery.  You are wonderful friends to them!

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Hugs out to Pauline and her DF.  Safe travels to all those embarking and disembarking today and Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950.

image.thumb.png.b8798588767ff75145c59818

I hope my sweaters are not too ugly.  One of my late cousins made a lot of Maple Syrup in Quebec just South of Montreal.  As a  boy I tapped a few maple trees boiling a bit of sap down to a very thick syrup that became a tasty candy when poured over fresh snow.

I'm hesitant about the sleepy conscience part of Twain's quote.

I visited Ocho Rios once on the Crystal Symphony in 2016,  The port is garbage and really requires a tour.  I found Dunn's River Falls pretty interesting.

The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Sliced Orange and Watermelon Salsa, Filet of Beef Brioche, and Dutch Apple Cake as served on MS Prinsendam December 17, 2013.

Heavy rain coming but I hope I can get to church and back before it's too bad.

Roy

3 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

We took a drive and saw Xmas lights last night. It is sure nice to have the car with the third row seat. We fit in nicely. DGS spent the night. DGD wanted to but I was to tired and I know she would not stay all night. I told her once she could sleep in her own bed all night she could have a sleepover. I am sure that will take awhile. 

Graham that poor family! They are both physically and emotionally stressed right now. Many prayers for them. 

I am a bit concerned my luggage shows that it has not moved. Hopefully that means they just have not scanned it on its journey. I may call and see what’s up. 

Have a great day and be safe in the storms in the south. 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Yay for maple syrup - I like it with peanut butter on pancakes.  I don't have any more ugly sweaters, I gave them all away.  Thank goodness for the Wright Brothers and their persistence with an amazing invention, otherwise we'd have to drive to ports to board the BHB's.

Yesterday we went out early to do some last minute shopping - we discovered our "almost daughter" Sophia and her family had given us something that was way too expensive, so we felt we had to reciprocate.  We ended up getting them an Instax camera with a couple of extra rolls of film and a food saver with additional rolls of bags.  I'm glad we decided to open the gifts ahead of time, rather than leaving it till Christmas morning when we would have felt uncomfortable having given them so little.   After Christmas I'm going to have a chat with her to say that we'd prefer small gifts, or even gifts of food, rather than putting out a lot of money on things.

This morning I'm going to clear off the dining room table and bring out the wrapping paper, tape, ribbons and tags and get to the task of wrapping gifts.  I like to use wrapping paper for the children, so that each gift is wrapped individually - for me it's  more fun to see them taking the paper off the gifts, rather than simply opening a bag and pulling out the contents.  DH helps me by bringing me coffee and Bailey's from time to time.  This morning is a good time to do it because he'll be watching his news programs on TV and I'll enjoy the Sunday morning oldies on the radio as I wrap.

@grapau27how sad for Pauline's friend; I'm so glad she has you and Pauline to give her support.

@seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950 Bon Voyage!

Welcome back to all the Daily-ites from your pre-holiday cruises.

I hope everyone stayed safe during the storms, and for those it hasn't hit yet, be careful!

I'm going to pass on the drink (bourbon), will let others enjoy the wine, and would love the menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for lamb - at all.  I've got a very small pork roast that will make it's way into the oven along with potatoes, carrots, celery and onions for a one pot dinner that we can enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich

& thanks to Vanessa, Ann, Dixie & Debbie.

Great collection of days.  Maple syrup is always in my cupboard (hey, I’m Canadian 😉).  Wright brothers are worthy of celebration.  Ugly sweaters can be fun to look at even if I don’t wear them.  

LOL on the Twain quote.  Yum on the today’s meal - love lamb (actually discovered it on a BHB) and a white Pinot Noir!  Sign me up!  I’ve been to Ocho Rios once and once was enough.  Not a fan of Jamaica at all.

IMG_1352.jpeg.291b71ea173a595aae199e945f51e054.jpeg

It’s a dreary day here as the storm slowly approaches.  The bright side to the day is my other amaryllis which has opened and other than two buds still to come has opened up nearly at once.  For the Garden Club:

IMG_2567.thumb.jpeg.ceee59d9f304fca9523eda824ac895db.jpeg

DD DH loved amaryllis.  When we first met he asked me what flowers represented the seasons and I said amaryllis for Christmas.  I didn’t know until much later that he went home, got out his dictionary and struggled to find the name.  He couldn’t 😂. He loved flowers but didn’t know this one.

IMG_2565.thumb.jpeg.43582bf1b4142fa9d50c1f81da04ead0.jpeg

IMG_1821.thumb.jpeg.91f4d58c48807b854949de7907861765.jpeg

My condolences to Pauline’s friend and her family. 😔  I’ll be joining Gerry @ger_77 as I pull out the wrapping paper, ribbons, bows, etc and wrap presents.  While I have to use bags to deliver them I too like to wrap the presents inside 😊   I’ll be curious to see Ivan’s reaction.  He’s been very nosy when I tape up the boxes of stuff I’m giving away.

IMG_1350.jpeg.997d755d77dc7d549d7c2cd42cb0dde3.jpeg

Very behind this morning so I had better get moving.  Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1358.thumb.jpeg.0e98c1e9dd5b628a5c2caca5f86e5e0c.jpeg

Have a good Sunday everyone.

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a bright and sunny day at the beach

It is currently 71 and more showers are expected. I dont think the storm here was as expected. Had heavy rain and winds but all is well this morning. There 2 ships that left Port Canaveral and sat just off the coast for a long time before sailing away. I imagine it was a very rough nite. The ocean is still churning with strong riptides.

We are going to the local playhouse this afternoon for their Christmas show and then come here for a light supper. Hoping it didnt flood out, waiting to hear.

@grapau27 Graham, I am very sorry to hear about Paulines friend. Very difficult. My prayers are with all of you.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is a rather dreary day here in mid-Michigan.  Temperatures are mild for December, but it is dark and gloomy out.  We finally made it to the Christmas walk at the gardens last night.  It was just too crowded last weekend.  It was still crowded last night, but nothing like it had been.  It was very enjoyable and the display was lovely.  

@grapau27 my condolences to Paulines friend on the passing of her DM.  That kind of scares me because my hernia could easily create strangulated intestines.  I'll be very happy when the surgery is over and hopefully my pain won't be so severe.

Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950.  Welcome home to many Dailyites who have ended their cruise.  

Nothing is on the agenda today except a trip to the grocery store.  Otherwise, it is a fire in the fireplace and Netflix.

I am not a fan of lamb unless it is seasoned well.  I'm not sure this one would be seasoned to my liking.  This website uses Italian seasoning on everything.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-roast-lamb-with-vegetables/

roastlambwithvegetables1.thumb.jpg.858afc698875cd72820a71c9df7bb9c2.jpg

This one uses a different seasoning blend.  The garlic may do the trick. It calls for a boneless leg of lamb.  Most stores will remove the bone for you.    https://www.thespruceeats.com/roast-lamb-with-root-vegetables-2216633

roastlambwithvegetables2.thumb.jpg.bf7192388d73cd4fce7e37f6f36d3ccd.jpg

This site gives us a tour of the lamb farm and how you go from pasture to table.  Interesting information.  https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/slow-roast-lamb-shoulder/

roastlambwithvegetables3.jpg.c9513da3d4d9a0b5af2950ddbb5dd562.jpg

This last one probably doesn't fit the Easy part of the meal title, but it sounds the best to me.  I like the seasoning blend and the vegetable medley.  I'd give this a try.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/kleftiko-greek-lamb-in-parchment/

roastlambwithvegetables4.thumb.jpg.af076c9ad03d3bf70e07b4492b721278.jpg

Wishing you a wonderful day!

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Well all my comments weren't saved when I went to look up a person who is ailing so I will be brief.

Prayers for Pauline's friend and sympathy for the passing of her dear Mam @grapau27.

Prayers that @57redbird is doing better at home after her back surgery.

Prayers for @JazzyV that your visit to the neurosurgeon will start you on the path to the treatment you need for your back pain.   

Prayers for everyone in war zones and the hostages.

It is cool and rainy off and on here.  I have a late Raven's game which is in Jacksonville so I hope the rain has moved on by the after 8PM kickoff.   I did my pill pods and found out I didn't have enough Synthroid so I will call my doctor and have it sent to my local pharmacy.   I am already going there on Tuesday.    Then I will have to go through and fill every pod with calcium because for some reason I am out of that, we are going to Costco tomorrow.   I also have a doctor appointment real early tomorrow.  I always schedule early to avoid having to wait if they are backed up but for two weeks in a row I have start of day appointments after night football games.   I will have to be more mindful of the days I schedule.   Have a lovely Sunday and Go Ravens!   Nancy 

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny Quartzsite where there may be a few clouds on the horizon.  It was 39F when I got up about 45 minutes ago.  The weather app says it is now 45F with a 4mph breeze.  Our high will be 71F.  We'll be in the low 70s until Friday when a cool front comes in to lower our temperatures into the 60s, and there is a significant chance of rain Friday.

Even this Texan who is currently in Arizona has Canadian maple syrup in the pantry.  I don't have an ugly sweater, and I rarely need the two sweaters I have.  The Wright Brothers probably would be very surprised to see what developed after that first flight.

I like the Mark Twain quote, and I interpret a sleepy conscience to mean you haven't done anything seriously bad for your conscience to bother you.

I like lamb but DH doesn't so I'll get my lamb fix on Koningsdam in a little more than a month.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the white Pinot Noir.  

We were in Ocho Rios on a cruise in the late 1990s. so all the pictures are in an album in Texas.  That day we hired a taxi to take us on a tour, and that was an interesting experience.  Evidently, she did not have any coolant in the radiator, and we'd have to stop regularly to add water.  In 1975. we spent a week in Falmouth at an all inclusive resort and rented a car for three days to tour the island.  At that time it was a safe place, except Kingston on the other side of the island.  Jamaica is a beautiful island sadly with a lot of poverty and crime now.

In 1903, the Wright Brothers started a transportation revolution.

In 1983 the triple transplant of three organs must have been a very delicate surgery, and a step forward in organ transplantation.

@RedneckBob, RNB, @dobiemom Marcia, and @POA1 Brian, welcome home.  Brian, I enjoyed your live from very much.

@dobiemom  Marcia, safe travels to Jacksonville and enjoy your visit there.  Also, safe travels Wednesday to you and your Mom as you fly to California Wednesday.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, it is always good to read that the MDR Maître d turned away people sloppily dressed on Dressy Night.  We noticed the same thing on Koningsdam.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I hope the worst of the storm misses you. 

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I hope a day ashore, or at least a day docked, helps your DH feel better.  Thanks for the picture of the rainbow.

@grapau27  Graham, your friends are very lucky to have you and Pauline in their lives.  I hope things get better for Pauline's friend and her DH.

@St Pete Cruiser  That is good news that St Petersburg got some much needed rain.  I hope there was not any flooding or damage to the area.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the throws turn up soon.  This time of year it seems things take longer to arrive.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm glad you are enjoying the visit.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, cruising is one chance I have to wear some of the nicer clothes that spend most of their time in the closet.  I'm also a jeans or shorts, t-shirt and sandals girl.

@summer slope Dixie, we've only sailed from Ft. Lauderdale twice when we were in Arizona.  The first time we flew and had to go the day before.  The second time, we took Statendam through the Panama canal and spent two days in FLL pre-cruise.  It is easier to sail out of San Diego or the LA area, where we can drive over the same day.

409188146_840515871407767_6438886879134779724_n.jpg.6deb35c49e8ab160a120296d0af2153a.jpg

350839679_205714372386519_842047485469057728_n.jpg.de1dae55ad4153ea4a71f640ddff5a10.jpg

358061917_660370862802945_2112476874341310760_n.jpg.e1cbaf44301fa62eee11b688e46c88db.jpg

406422208_892627695758791_2937000620491057380_n.thumb.jpg.5a656cbf45aa05d3df2ea9f7d3b1ae40.jpg

408739402_7017202135066343_1617002715869914366_n.thumb.jpg.38a118c102356abcd1ec9b0e022ac5bc.jpg

366617771_682379157268782_903182840596032604_n.jpg.7bbed2aae750e8f43cb819e3862d2ea5.jpg

Lenda

Thank you to you all for your kind condolences messages for Pauline's dear friend.

She is lovely and has lots of health problems including needing knee replacement herself.

She lost her only daughter to cancer many years ago when her daughter was a child.

God bless you all.

Graham.

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'll celebrate Canadian Maple syrup and the Wright Brothers. I don't own an ugly Christmas sweater. Not sure about the sleepy conscience part of the quote. I like roast lamb, but never make it myself. Pass on the drink and on the white wine. I haven't been to Ocho Rios, and from what I hear I'm not missing anything. 2 important days in history.

It's cloudy here and will be raining shortly. Then the temps will drop and we'll get some snow tomorrow, but not more than 2". I slept a little better - 3.5 hours. I didn't get more than a half hour's sleep in the recliner yesterday; but I did finish watching Call The Midwife. BFF went to the TSO concert last night; we've gone for many years, but I told him I couldn't walk to our seats or go down the steep arena steps. We really need to discuss Christmas, as I can't see how I can cook, since I can't stand very long - we should either postpone or go out to eat. 

@grapau27 Condolences to Pauline's friend on the loss of her Mam, and Pauline. I'm also sorry to hear that her friend is in so much pain following her operation. And bless you for helping the friend's DH out after his own surgery. So much going on for them. 

@Crazy For Cats Too bad the weather is so variable there. Nice photo of you two.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos. I always thought I'd get to Jamaica with my best friend from college who was from there, to see the non-touristy parts, but sadly he passed away a few years ago.

@smitty34877 That was kind of DD to do for the workers. Can you at least park near your house now?

@kazu Beautiful amaryllis. My Christmas cactus (really a Thanksgiving one based on the leaf shape) finally has a couple of flowers for the first time in years. 

Thank you so much for your lovely words Vanessa.

I pray you can be free of your pain.

• Like 10

Vanessa @JazzyV, I'm glad you got a few more hours sleep last night but it's still terrible you can't even stand for more than a few minutes.  How are you preparing your meals?  It's a shame you had to miss the TSO concert last night!  I'd say eating out would work best for Christmas unless that is too much walking for you.  I'd hate to suggest carry out for your dinner but...

Was there a new episode of Call the Midwife on yesterday?  I didn't see one so I hope I didn't miss one.  My DVR shows a Christmas special on Christmas night, 90 minutes long.  I've got that all ready to record.  We're going to Ohio for a few days over Christmas but I won't be able to watch Call the Midwife that evening.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the "kids"!🎄

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks all!  Love the roast lamb,  and I swear I had a Pinot Blanc years ago.

We love our maple syrup,  but hearing it will be in very short supply next year due to weather so I will stock up.  

@0106 thank you for the attribution as it was missing from where I encountered the poem.   Grief is such a difficult emotion,  and one that is so often ignored in our world.  Particularly difficult at this time of year as many have a blue Christmas.  And our daily family has suffered so many losses, I thought it important to acknowledge.     

@grapau27My condolences to Pauline’s friend. 

I thought I would share our neighbourhood Griswalds.  

IMG_0136.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Vanessa @JazzyV, I'm glad you got a few more hours sleep last night but it's still terrible you can't even stand for more than a few minutes.  How are you preparing your meals?  It's a shame you had to miss the TSO concert last night!  I'd say eating out would work best for Christmas unless that is too much walking for you.  I'd hate to suggest carry out for your dinner but...

Was there a new episode of Call the Midwife on yesterday?  I didn't see one so I hope I didn't miss one.  My DVR shows a Christmas special on Christmas night, 90 minutes long.  I've got that all ready to record.  We're going to Ohio for a few days over Christmas but I won't be able to watch Call the Midwife that evening.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the "kids"!🎄

Sandi, it's hard. I can't even finish brushing my teeth standing up, as the leg pain gets too bad. Meals have mainly been soup heated up or some frozen meals. I managed to make a couple of things in the slow cooker, eating some and freezing some. Even those meals you can get delivered require prep. I'm not one that's used home delivery from restaurants at all. 

I was finishing up season 12 of Call the Midwife. I'd been going slowly, as I didn't want it to be over, lol. I did see there will be a Christmas special and then season 13 starts Jan 7 I believe. I don't think I can record Netflix to my DVR.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning a little late since I was just slow getting started this morning and then the dogs took their good old time. Everything had to be sniffed at least twice. Weather here is sunny and it may get up to 50F today before starting to cool off again. Some moisture due the end of the week but how much and what form and when all remain to be determined.

Sorry to hear about Pauline's friend with her surgery and loss of her Mom. Glad she has friends there for her. @JazzyVI sure wish there was something they could do for your pain. My Sister and niece do carryout for Christmas.... they save the celebration for later as they both find the day stressful. Martha (sister) says at her age doing a full Christmas dinner is just too much along with presents and family either dropping by or calling and my niece does not like to cook. I am not sure what I will be eating but I suspect it will be a small pot roast since I have one in my freezer.

I am starting to gather together the things I will be taking to California with me. Have yet to decide if it will be carryon or checking a bag. Will have to see what I actually have to take, but with the long layover I have in Phoenix I am leaning toward carryon. I don't want to spend 5 days in California with no clothes. My Luggage Forward bags are taking a breather in Salt Lake City as nearly as I can tell. They are certainly going a round about way. Need to call my hair dresser and schedule a cut and a pedicure.

Take care all. Best wishes to everyone. Hope the weather treats everyone on the east coast better than predicted.

Susan

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27Sorry to hear about Pauline's friend. Glad she can be there for her family.

@JazzyV  I hope you get some answers soon. I wouldn't worry about Xmas dinner I am sure your friend will understand.  I wonder if you can get meals on wheels - my friend did that before she moved into assisted living because she couldn't stand up to cook.

The weather yesterday was on and off rain squalls but not as bad as we thought it would be. It is very windy today, it seems worse than yesterday for the wind, but the sun it out so that is a +.

Not much on the agenda - my DH will be watching football shortly and I will play online mahjong with some friends.  We have played together online since Covid and continue our game online since we all live in different places now.  

I hope the rocking and rolling on those cruising out of FLL isn't too bad. 

I hope everyone's luggage makes in on time to San Diego - what a great trip you will all have.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

The plan is to have breakfast in the CO dining room, then find our luggage, take the hotel shuttle back to get the truck, pack everything into the truck, and drive to Jacksonville. I’m continuing my vacation by spending a few days with my DM, DS, and her DH at their house. DM and I will fly to CA early Wed morning. 

Safe travels, Marcia.  Enjoy your family time 🙂 

59 minutes ago, bennybear said:

IMG_0136.jpeg

OMG Brenda!  Griswalds is right 😳. I won’t complain a couple of streets over any longer.  LOL

55 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I can't even finish brushing my teeth standing up, as the leg pain gets too bad. Meals have mainly been soup heated up or some frozen meals. I managed to make a couple of things in the slow cooker, eating some and freezing some. Even those meals you can get delivered require prep. I'm not one that's used home delivery from restaurants at all. 

Oh Vanessa you poor thing 😢   I wish there was something I could do to help you 😢 

• Like 22

Good morning all!

Another quick post, we slept late this morning after being up late last night at the Lights of Christmas display.  

But a few photos from last night -- and today I need to make the Lumpia I'm bringing to DD's house for our early family Christmas celebration.  We'll also be bringing the DGSs home after an activity-filled 3 days with them.  This Nana is very tired but a good tired.  The next 2 weeks will be filled with getting the house in order and getting ready to leave for the GANZ.  

Will catch up on all the posts tonight -- have a great day everyone!

mountainlights.thumb.jpg.1b508b37dd0e17fb5c82ea9932f575ab.jpg

Bethlemenscene.thumb.jpg.a920a2d0aad1ada46e7252d96b8549c0.jpg

shiplights.thumb.jpg.5a8a45f111d097b048c8310f39a2447e.jpg

FS.thumb.jpg.f259748d1b55687ec42987fae91d77a9.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I thought that these were pretty. 

20231217_095734.thumb.jpg.15e01cf730e2d523cdef90fdb6e7dc5e.jpg

.Bougainvillea.  Yeah, Mrs, XBGuy also thinks they're pretty.  I have to tell you, though, when those pretty flowers wither and fall off, they are a pain to clean up.  If I'm lucky. though, Santa Ana winds blow them into neighboring yards--or neighboring counties.

😁

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 13
  • Haha 7

While Ocho Rios is not an attractive port I did enjoy the tour I had in 2016.  We started with a visit to Konoko River Gardens, an old plantation turned into a sort of museum with relics of the slavery days such as this mantrap:

mantrap.jpg

There was also  a small zoo:

macaw.jpg

The main attraction was Dunn's River Falls, more of a cascade.  There were tourists going up the falls with a guide.  I did not indulge but enjoyed watching it and you cold cool off in some of the pools.:

falls1.jpg

falls2.jpg

falls3.jpg

fallsend.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

The rain is over and we have blue skies.  Putting the finishing touches on our cruise next month.  Finding flights going west to east is a pain unless you want to land at midnight.  So we are staying in San Diego another night and flying out at 8am the next day.  Then on to booking rental cars to get home.  I don't think we will cruise out of anyplace other than Fort Lauderdale from now on.

Sue and I are staying over an extra night after the cruise because of the same issue.  We look at is as an extension of our vacation.  We're just going home to cold along with possible snow and ice.  

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

They both had Spigelian Hernias Debbie.

Best wishes for a successful repair of your hernia and no pain.

Thanks, Graham.  My hernia is on the right, off to the side a bit, but above the navel.  12 days!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Kazu’s DBIL’s DM with pancreatitis

Cruzin Terri with + skin biopsies and PMR not well controlled

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

Passing of Niagarwine’s FIL 12/13

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

57Redbird recovering from spinal fusion surgery, with some issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Mamaofami’s extensive dental work

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Seagarsmoker!

Bon Voyage Petunia1950!

Welcome home RedNeckBob!

Welcome home LAFFNVEGAS!

Welcome home DobieMom!

Welcome home POA1!

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, and on CPAP 

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill with good report from doctor/good bloodwork results

Aliaschief visiting DD for her and DGD’s birthdays

RMLincoln in TX for granddaughter’s wedding

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam Dec 19 to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday)

4 days for Haljo1935 (Koningsdam Dec 21 to Jan 6, Circle Hawaii Holiday)

5 days for Richwmn (Volendam Dec 22 to April 21) 12d Mexico & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 6 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise

5 days for Nickelpenny (Zuiderdam Dec 22 to Jan 3) 12d Panama Canal Sunfarer Holiday

Suslor (Rottendam to Dec 22, Eastern Caribbean), Crazy For Cats (Rotterdam to Dec 22, Eastern Caribbean), Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Petunia1950 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean), Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam to Jan 5, B2B, 7d Eastern Caribbean + 14d Western/Tropical Caribbean), Av8rix (Koningsdam to Jan 6, 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), and Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n))

Thanks. Back on land but it doesn’t look like dry land. 😳

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

@RedneckBob  Welcome Home!  

I was in the midst of about to drool over @dfish's first picture ( and I don't even like lamb) and BOOM.  Power went out again, so we headed out to the store, and got a Whopper Jr for lunch, and then went to the Farmers market.  I bought as much as I could to get me through until after Christmas.

Besides working every day (except Friday) we are meeting our holiday friends (the other Charles and Ann) for lunch  on Friday at the Louisiana Bistro for lunch, and then head on back to the house.  DH says he is going to work on Friday night, but in reality this Friday both my campaigns are closed.  Same for Saturday, so we are doing dinner with Deb, not ham, she thought the ribs sounded good, corn bread pudding souffle, salad, and she said something about a winter squash, but I picked up two delicata squashes, will thinly slice, throw on some olive oil and roast them.  My replacement for french fries.

I wanted to get a mix for gingerbread, but guess that will be a trip to Publix, as Kroger never has it, and they don't carry saran wrap either.  Only glad wrap.  And maybe it's me, but glad seems to stick to me more than what i am trying to wrap up.

Again I digress....have a great Sunday!

• Like 20

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Here where I live it's 45F with cloudy skies.  Temp will rise as high as 58 and remain cloudy.  I suppose there is a chance of some rain since there is a monsoon moving up the coast of Florida and Georgia into South Carolina right now.  My words, not the weather channel!  We are on the edge of that rain.  Feeling very sorry for @seagarsmoker since he and DW were driving down to Florida today, weren't they? Apologies if I have my days mixed up.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Hopefully you're on the edge of it too up in Athens.⛈️

Let's celebrate Canadian maple syrup and the Wright Brothers today!  I have a feeling ugly sweater day was a couple of days ago and I'm happy to see it gone.  They even had a Hallmark Christmas movie with that theme this week!  I like the quote and I suppose I could go for the roast lamb with vegetables.  Front porch peach tea (without alcohol) is my go-to beverage and what I drink when neighbor Brenda and I have our "coffee klatches" on my front porch.  If there is such a thing as white pinot noir I would give it a try.  Both the days in history were great moments in time.  Thanks to our friends Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today!

Prayers will be said for our Care list from the Daily ASAP, and lets not forget those at war, the hostages held and our military under attack as well.  Also for me personally my DB and close friends with health problems to face.  Prayers also for Graham @grapau27 and Pauline @Paw13's friend and the loss of her DM.  🙏 We especially pray for Vanessa @JazzyV with such horrible pain issues and practically no sleep at all these past months.🙏  Meanwhile we should not forget everyone with cruises and happy events to celebrate! 🥂  Bon voyage to @seagarsmoker and @Petunia1950!  🚢  Thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for getting the list done each day during all the turmoil in her life.  We appreciate you so much!❤️

The port this morning is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.  The last two times we had it here was Nov. 25, 2021 and March 4, 2022.  I spent literally an hour or two last night searching for March 4, 2022 on the Holland America section of CC.  Someone had asked a question at the end of that topic 6 months later so I found it in the September 2022 section.  They did not get an answer!  Maybe it's a good thing to lock the Daily the following day, if only for my sanity!  Here are the links:

Searching on CC does not work for me.  I tried that numerous times!  We visited Ocho Rios on December 14, 2022 so just over a year ago, but it wasn't a big deal for us.  A quick on and off the ship.  Jamaica is definitely not a favorite island to visit!

Hoping you all have a very nice day.  Please be careful out there and stay safe and well!

We had no issues driving.  Yes, some wind and rain, however we made it safely! 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from a sunny and pleasant Quartzsite.  I finally got quite a bit of the sorting finished.  As soon as I finish here, I'm heading out to the motorhome to finish the sorting.

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We made it off the ship and walked around to see if anything appealed.  We both came back empty handed.

DH and me taken by a friendly passenger. 

20231217_095700.thumb.jpg.c97df6bd11c13f771b6fa962d3f21e49.jpg

I thought that these were pretty. 

20231217_095734.thumb.jpg.15e01cf730e2d523cdef90fdb6e7dc5e.jpg

20231217_102307.thumb.jpg.3401bee4540b5eff41f5ed193d1bde9d.jpg

Jake, thanks for the pictures.  I'm glad the weather cooperated and you could go ashore.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, I'm glad you got a little more sleep, and hope you can get more sleep tonight.  I wish there was a magic wand to wave so that you could function without pain.  Don't worry about Christmas dinner.  The day is more about being with specials people, not the food.

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Love the roast lamb,  and I swear I had a Pinot Blanc years ago.

We love our maple syrup,  but hearing it will be in very short supply next year due to weather so I will stock up.  

@0106 thank you for the attribution as it was missing from where I encountered the poem.   Grief is such a difficult emotion,  and one that is so often ignored in our world.  Particularly difficult at this time of year as many have a blue Christmas.  And our daily family has suffered so many losses, I thought it important to acknowledge.     

@grapau27My condolences to Pauline’s friend. 

IMG_0136.jpeg

Brenda, I think your  Griswolds out did Clark Griswold this year.

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

.Bougainvillea.  Yeah, Mrs, XBGuy also thinks they're pretty.  I have to tell you, though, when those pretty flowers wither and fall off, they are a pain to clean up.  If I'm lucky. though, Santa Ana winds blow them into neighboring yards--or neighboring counties.

😁

Bougainvillea are pretty when they bloom, but all I see are the neighbors' dead flowers.  They are really impossible to clean up.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

While Ocho Rios is not an attractive port I did enjoy the tour I had in 2016.  We started with a visit to Konoko River Gardens, an old plantation turned into a sort of museum with relics of the slavery days such as this mantrap:

mantrap.jpg

There was also  a small zoo:

macaw.jpg

The main attraction was Dunn's River Falls, more of a cascade.  There were tourists going up the falls with a guide.  I did not indulge but enjoyed watching it and you cold cool off in some of the pools.:

falls1.jpg

falls2.jpg

falls3.jpg

fallsend.jpg

Roy

Roy, thanks for the pictures from Jamaica.  We also visited Dunn's River Falls, but did not attempt to climb the falls.

44 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

We had no issues driving.  Yes, some wind and rain, however we made it safely! 

So glad you made it safely to Ft. Lauderdale.  Thanks for letting us know.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1