The Daily for Wednesday November 24, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, and thank you for the anniversary wishes, our very best Happy Birthday to Jose!   We'll have to remember we share a day...   This year the anniversary is minor - next year will be the biggie, and as we won't be on a cruise, we will have to have a party.  I looked at our cruises to see if we would be better off to take the Black Friday sale, but I don't think any of our cruises' prices improve with it.  We did get the Welcome Home promo and the new Mariner's OBC, so I think we will stick with what we have.  The only other option would be to book an additional cruise, will have to have a look at that.

Yesterday I wasn't able to like or post for most of the day, I did sneak in once and then lost CC again.  I was sorry, though to hear about little Fritz, our pets mean so much to us, and make our lives brighter.  We have to be thankful for all of them, even though we miss them.  

• Like 25

Thank you @StLouisCruisers, I will definitely enjoy your share of the scallops. One of my favorite seafoods.

@kazu, happy birthday or should it be feliz cumpleanos for Jose.

@Vict0rianncongratulations on your 59th Anniversary. You are two of the very few people I know of who are married longer than my late husband and I (57 years for us).

Our very first cruise was an Alaska tour/cruise and we spent 1 night in Denali. This was way back in 1989. I believe everything has changed except the mountain and the animals. We were fortunate to see the entire mountain and many types of wildlife including a mother bear with her 3 week old cubs, dall sheep, wolves, ptarmagin, moose and caribou. All of the animals except the sheep seemed curious and came right alongside our bus.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks all!  A salute to caregivers, a tough role!  Strangely I just finished a novel based on DB Cooper.  

Happy anniversary @Vict0riann
Happy birthday Jose!  @kazu

Nearly got to Denali, but was anchored in Anchorage instead! 

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hear Popeye's Chicken has opened a restaurant in London and the locals are confused with the Buttermilk biscuits!  They feel they look more like a scone but don't taste like one.  True!  But just try one and I'm sure you'll enjoy the new "biscuits".  And maybe even the chicken.  (I prefer Raising Canes to Popeye's).  All opinions welcome!

I am sure they would be confused, totally different, both good! We have a chain called Mary Browns whose spicy chicken rocks,  also some excellent Korean spicy chicken.  

B783DD26-E570-4A70-8EA9-627B8CB607F3.jpeg

• Like 22

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm not sure why an airplane hijacker would get his own day . . . not going to celebrate that one. 

Somehow I missed the "D. B." this morning and was thinking of an artisan who makes casks and barrels.    I do hope what "D. B." did is a lost art and will never happen again.

Roy

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

My unique talent is this family’s travel planner and we flying to Minneapolis later this morning to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, go me.  

@Mr. Boston, my family has recently promoted me to the position of CIAO, a title I proudly hold!  Chief International Activities Officer.  😃

• Like 15
  • Haha 6

I looked in our Alaska scrapbook and saw we stayed at the McKinley lodge. The old one (2011).  What I remember most was trying to get the room dark so we could sleep.  Also, our excursion was to the Husky Homestead where we got to hold 6 week old puppies.  Loved that.

• Like 18

Hello everyone and thank you for the daily! Congratulations to everyone celebrating and prayers for those in need.

I see several of you are from Washington State....many years ago while living in Seattle, my mother was given a recipe for "Heavenly Pumpkin Pie". It has become our family's favorite and I wondered if if is (or was) a Washington "thing"? It is not baked and made with vanilla pie filling.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 17

Good afternoon from sunny Mazatlan.  We got off the ship this morning and took the free shuttle to the port building.  While I went across the street to pick up some things, DH sat in the shade outside the building.  We then headed back to the ship and are enjoying a cool breeze while sitting on the balcony watching the activity in this busy port.

Yesterday, I took the tender into Cabo and walked around, partly to get some exercise and partly to see some areas I missed last week.  Basically, we are staying on the ship and relaxing.

It's going to be busy when we get back to Quartzsite.  Before we left, I got the Christmas cards signed and the envelopes addressed.  The Christmas letter is written but I'll add a little about the cruise.  I also got the outside lights up, but not turned on.  That leaves putting the tree up, decorating the house, and making and decorating the gingerbread cookies.   It will be a busy 5 or 6 days.  Then,I'll need another cruise to rest.  😄

@Vict0riann    HAPPY  59th ANNIVERSARY ANN and PAT!  🥂

@kazu    🎉 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOSE 🎂

To all the Dailyites in the US, HAPPY THANKSGIVING 🦃  Safe travels to all who will be traveling this week to be with family.

Today there is an interesting collection of days, but I won't be celebrating D. B. Cooper, although the story is fascinating.  Family caregivers deserve recognition everyday.  I do like the Zsa Zsa quote.

We have been to Denali many times, mostly on motorhome trips.  In 1996, we spent three days camped almost as far as the public can drive into the park.  We could step outside the motorhome and see Denali.  A ranger told us we were very lucky as they'd only had five days all summer that were clear enough to see the mountain.  Unfortunately, that was in pre-digital times.

Lenda 

• Like 22

Well we did it, booked the April '23 Circle Hawaii cruise.  The only other Hawaii cruise we've taken was in 2010, out of San Diego. This will be longer, and in and out of Vancouver -- no air  yippee!

@Love the beachI'm a native Washingtonian and have never heard of that kind of pumpkin pie -- maybe others will chime in. 🙂  

• Like 19

I was intrigued by the thought of vanilla pudding in pumpkin pie, so I looked up "Heavenly Pumpkin Pie" and here's what I found:

HEAVENLY PUMPKIN PIE  
1 pkg. (3 1/4 oz.) regular vanilla pudding and pie filling
1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 3/4 c. mashed, cooked or canned pumpkin
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Combine pie filling mix, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and milk. (If desired substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for other spices.) Stir in butter and pumpkin. Pour into pie shell. bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until bottom crust is golden brown. Serve chilled. Garnish with whipped topping.

It sounds delicious - I might just try it out before Christmas to see if it's worth taking the ingredients to Calgary with us to make for dessert on Christmas day.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I was intrigued by the thought of vanilla pudding in pumpkin pie, so I looked up "Heavenly Pumpkin Pie" and here's what I found:

HEAVENLY PUMPKIN PIE  
1 pkg. (3 1/4 oz.) regular vanilla pudding and pie filling
1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 3/4 c. mashed, cooked or canned pumpkin
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

Combine pie filling mix, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and milk. (If desired substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for other spices.) Stir in butter and pumpkin. Pour into pie shell. bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until bottom crust is golden brown. Serve chilled. Garnish with whipped topping.

It sounds delicious - I might just try it out before Christmas to see if it's worth taking the ingredients to Calgary with us to make for dessert on Christmas day.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

The ingredients and amounts are the same (we leave out the ginger)  but everything except the pumpkin is combined in a saucepan, brought to a full boil while stirring. Let it sit for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice then add pumpkin and combine. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate.

Will have to try it this way....however, my family hates change!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!   Happy early Thanksgiving to those here in the U.S.  Wishing a happy anniversary to @VictOriann.  The photo of you and Pat that @sailingdutchyposted is wonderful.  

Very Happy Birthday to @kazu's hubby Jose.  

@Seasick Sailor, I hope we sail together someday.  Palm Springs area has been a part of my life forever -- would love to hear your stories from working there.  My dear nephew lives in Rancho Mirage now full time.

@Sharon in AZ, your cookies look great.  We make them every year and they are always a bit of a mess to look at.  Still working on technique. lol

@grapau27, your tree is beautiful.  Pauline is amazing!  And the photo of the ladies with gran is really touching.  Lovely ladies.

All the jokes and memes today have been great.  We were out and about today and there is already a lot of holiday buzz going on.  People are excited to be celebrating together again! 😊 

Wishing everyone a lovely evening and perfectly cooked turkey tomorrow for those from U.S., some of whom will be out at sea celebrating.  Stay safe everyone!  ❤️

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

The Future Cruise desk on NA wasn't open yesterday (start of Black Friday promo!) and was only open 3 hours this afternoon. After Afternoon Tea, I went down and one agent was not busy! He said very few people had visited all week. I booked partial Panama Canal for Jan. 25, 2023 and 10-day Rotterdam Thanksgiving 2022. Got the HIA option with Black Friday Crew Incentives and OBC - with no increase in price. Doing a happy dance.

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon!   Happy early Thanksgiving to those here in the U.S.  Wishing a happy anniversary to @VictOriann.  The photo of you and Pat that @sailingdutchyposted is wonderful.  

@Seasick Sailor, I hope we sail together someday.  Palm Springs area has been a part of my life forever -- would love to hear your stories from working there.  My dear nephew lives in Rancho Mirage now full time.

@Sharon in AZ, your cookies look great.  We make them every year and they are always a bit of a mess to look at.  Still working on technique. lol

@grapau27, your tree is beautiful.  Pauline is amazing!  And the photo of the ladies with gran is really touching.  Lovely ladies.

All the jokes and memes today have been great.  We were out and about today and there is already a lot of holiday buzz going on.  People are excited to be celebrating together again! 😊 

Wishing everyone a lovely evening and perfectly cooked turkey tomorrow for those from U.S., some of whom will be out at sea celebrating.  Stay safe everyone!  ❤️

Thank you so much for all your kind words about Pauline,Sarah and Ruth.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good afternoon, everyone!

The stuffing/dressing is made and ready for stuffing the bird tomorrow morning.  The apple caramel crumb pie is done and the pecan pie is in the oven.  The pumpkin roll is defrosted and ready for tomorrow.  

Donna and Larry's son drove over from near the Pennsylvania border this morning for a visit.  He is at his in-laws for Thanksgiving, but took advantage of the short distance to visit with us.  

We went down to the bakery to pick up the bread order and Donna, Larry and Sue just about cleaned the place out buying cookies, scones, and muffins.  We are going to be in carb heaven here.   

Wishing everyone a great evening and we'll chat tomorrow.

• Like 22

8 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  Love the Gabor quote.  Scallops are my very favorite.

We have been to Denali, it was our very first cruise with land.  Hopefully the pictures will post.  I have many more but they are in my photo album.  I'm sure others with also post. 

181.JPG

176.thumb.JPG.de02b37f1adb82027ed47f54ba56eb6d.JPG

Drink of the day:

Jagertee:

The Ingredients
1 cup Spiced Rum, 1 cup Red Wine, 1 cup Black Tea, 1 cup Plum Brandy, 1 cup Orange Juice, 2 Sugar Cubes, 1/4 of Cinnamon Stick, 3 Whole Cloves, 2 Lemon Slices
How To make a Jagertee
Heat your tea, rum, wine, orange juice, brandy, spices, and lemons in a pot and let them come to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add sugar to taste and serve.
Social and Cocktail says:
Basically a hot punch, this is bursting with flavour and the tea melds wonderfully with the various fruit and herbal flavours.
Did You Know?
Jagertee has become a popular apres-ski drink, particularly among tourists in the Alps.

176.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.41.56 AM.png

Thanks for the information.

• Like 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Good days. Family Caregivers deserve lots of praise. Not sure what my unique talent is! 

Great quote. Typical Zsa Zsa.

I'll pass on the scallops. The drink and wine sound good.

I have been to Denali NP.

Busy day. I had my dentist appointment and have my new crown. After he tinkered a bit, it fits well. Then when I came home I decided to blow the leaves to the curb for pickup, since it's the last kind of warm day for a while. That took a couple of hours. Now I'm relaxing a bit, then I need to start to do some prep for tomorrow.

Congrats to all those who have booked cruises!

@Vict0riann HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

@kazu Happy Birthday to José. 

@Mr. Boston @*Miss G* @kplady @Cruising-along Safe travels and enjoy your Thanksgiving!

@grapau27 Lovely tree.

Prayers for the Care List and cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone. With more indoor activities, are numbers are high here.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, bdrcole said:

I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Thanksgiving 2.jpeg

Thanksgiving 3.jpeg

Thanksgiving.png

Your meme’s are hilarious!  Happy Thanksgiving to you too. 

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@Sharon in AZGreat looking cookies.

Thank you, all the kudos to DGD. I honestly thought at 14 she wouldn’t want to participate but she went all in. It also helped that she was grounded from her phone. 😉

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline has put our Christmas tree up.

Graham.

IMG-20211124-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20211124_173512.jpg

Tell Pauline that I love her tree!

30 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Thanks Maxine, I’ll tell DGD you liked them. It’s funny, however, she is always asking me “why do you have to talk with your cruise friends so much”!  All she cares about right now is kissing Miguel after school. Oh dear!

Debbie @dfish wow, you have a lot done for tomorrow!  Enjoy your family and friends!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Your meme’s are hilarious!  Happy Thanksgiving to you too. 

Thank you, all the kudos to DGD. I honestly thought at 14 she wouldn’t want to participate but she went all in. It also helped that she was grounded from her phone. 😉

Tell Pauline that I love her tree!

Thanks Maxine, I’ll tell DGD you liked them. It’s funny, however, she is always asking me “why do you have to talk with your cruise friends so much”!  All she cares about right now is kissing Miguel after school. Oh dear!

Debbie @dfish wow, you have a lot done for tomorrow!  Enjoy your family and friends!

Thank you Sharon.

Pauline said thank you too.

Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Graham.

• Like 9