The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 8th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cool, rainy day here in mid-Michigan.  The projected high is 70 with rain off and on all day.  Sue is rejoicing as that means she doesn't have to water the flowers.  The rain means no walk this morning.  I'll have to do my inside routine.  I did put a load of clothes in the wash, so we're doing inside tasks today.  I'll take the blueberries and skip the body painting and motorcycles.  

@cruising sister thank you for the update on baby Murphy.  I'm glad she seems to be doing better and hope that the rest the ECMO provides can spur her along further.  

@Denise T I'm sorry to hear that your BG has been so difficult to control since Covid.  Back to the basics is a good idea and one that I try to do regularly.  

@marshhawk Annie, I sure hope the PT can help with the pain.  Any news on the lung scan?

@kazu I'm happy to hear that Ivan got up on the couch on his own.  That is a great indicator of feeling better.  

@smitty34877 Still jumping up and down clapping over the pathology report.

@bennybear I'm doing the same for you!

Today's meal is one I'll skip because of the carbs.  Somehow, I don't think zoodles would do it justice.  But, it does look tasty.   We'll start with this one from Ahead of Thyme.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/10-minute-chicken-pad-thai/

chickenpadthai1.jpg.47cb4a23b4bb1f66b023bc7ea0fe9388.jpg

Most of the recipes I found referred back to the above one.  So, it is worth checking it out.  

This next recipe has a different work around if you can't find the Tamarind paste.   It is full of vegetables and if you can tolerate the carbs, sounds healthy and tasty.  https://whatmollymade.com/chicken-pad-thai/

chickenpadthai2.thumb.jpg.08ce911e42885f7541339a8c98f7ba08.jpg

This next one uses the actual Tamarind paste and says it can be bought online or found at an Asian grocery.  I used this one specifically for my carrot loving friends. It does have more color and veggies than the others.    https://omnivorescookbook.com/chicken-pad-thai/

chickenpadthai3.thumb.jpg.d5ba7ecc07674a21dfe04329df7078f2.jpg

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.  

@StLouisCruisers Three weeks from today!

@Crazy For Cats Two weeks from today!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I’ll pass on body painting and motorcycles but a yes to a slice of blueberry pie!  Nice quote.  I like the meal suggestion but probably not today.  I’m going to pass on the drink as well.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events today!

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, Ivan sleeping better and getting on the couch by himself are good signs.  I hope the bland diet helps too.

Thanks Lenda.  I’ve had Ivan on the chicken & rice broth since our last emergency vet visit.  I wanted him to get fluids and Tramadol is tough on their digestion system at times.  I just didn’t realize there was no chicken in the freezer.  LOL.  It’s in the pot, simmering.

54 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Went to session 4 yesterday on a research study I am enrolled in.  The 3rd session was in an MRI while doing tasks and yesterday they used my MRI of my head (and, yes, there was a semblance of a brain noted) to target a specific area for TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation).  It was sooooo cool, didn't hurt at all!  Then I had to do the tasks on the computer.  What they are looking at is decision making in older and younger people (65-75 and I think younger than 30).  One more session next week.

That sounds really interesting, Pennie and right up your alley.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!

The therapist told me that the pinched nerve is actually in my shoulder (torn rotator cuff from about 8 years ago, she said lots of repeat damage)...but they dont have a clue about the elbow pain, or the numbness in the hand.  But when I left, I felt better, and now, OUCH!

I hope that the therapy can help, Annie.  It does take time and work, sadly.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another humid day and I have the ac going.  I went to Walmart for Temptations cat food and picked up a blueberry pie.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good to me.  @dfish I’ll start packing this weekend.  

image.png.8f9d635726cb98e26e030a972cddfc54.png

• Like 14
  • Haha 17

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Face painting can be fun - I sometimes had it done at Penguins hockey games. I like blueberries and eat them like a snack. I'll pass on motorcycles, as I don't think they're safe in traffic. Interesting quote. I like pad thai. pass on the drink, and yes to the malbec. I've never been to Omaezaki or anywhere in Japan.

It's going to be another warm day, up to 86F, 67% humidity. I'll be doing stuff inside, mainly laundry. The going up and down to the basement won't be fun for my knees, but it's helping strengthen my legs hopefully (I go slowly and hold onto the handrail). BFF's pool pump pooped out, so he's not a happy camper; a new motor is on order.

@grapau27 Your garden room is lovely and inviting.

@kazu It sounds like Ivan is starting to improve, thankfully.

@smitty34877 I hope both Lou and Tana are having a good day, as well as you and the rest of the family.

@cruising sister Continued prayers for little Murphy and the family. At least the test of the repair was good. 

@marshhawk Some of your symptoms sound like carpal tunnel. The pain/numbness can go down into the hand and up to the elbow. Have they checked for that? It's especially common in people on keyboards all the time.

@Denise T Good luck on getting the sugars down.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Prayers that the NPH gets fixed soon and DH is good to go!

@ger_77 Have fun at the bbq, once the work part is out of the way.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Another hot and sticky day in Maryland but so grateful for the AC. 

@cruising sister Thanks for the update on little Murphy. I just can’t imagine the scramble they had to do to keep her going! Wonderful that the surgery is holding.  Just so amazing!  Still sending out blessings all day long!  Glad you slept, you need it. And good to have a plan for next month!  That’s a great way you are taking care of yourself. Give yourself a loving hug! 

@kazu Good to hear some improvement for Ivan. How is your elbow?  I don’t think you’ve mentioned it lately.. to much going on.  

@marshhawk Annie, pinched nerves can cause so much pain and in unexpected places. Sure hope you can rest up on a good racing day and get some healing happening. 

@dfish We enjoyed a facsimile of the shrimp with sun dried tomatoes dish last night.  I added chopped onion, green pepper and some broccoli, then the spinach last, so lots of good veggies. Used a substitute for tge cream, “extra creamy oat milk” and a bit of butter worked quite well. I’ll make it again. Didn’t serve it over a starch, just on its own.  We both liked it. 

@ger_77 Summerfest sounds perfect!  Please don’t overwork yourself so you can enjoy the really grand day you’ve made for everyone. I hope your Ukrainian friends can make it!  

@Nickelpenny Great you can participate in the trial. Thank you for your contribution to the research. I sure miss the days of 20% humidity we had in NM. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. 
Cheers to those celebrating Life🥂. And smooth travels to all away. Hoping @Cruzin TerriTerri’s cold is better!  
Maureen 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Late to rise to a beautiful 85 degrees. Hope the weather holds up for our neighbors 50 miles West of us. In Pensacola folks will be lining the beach as it’s the annual Navy Blue Angels aerial demonstration show. Pensacola is their home base and their show always brings big bucks to the local economy.

Got some chores to do so thanks for the reports and do hope you enjoy your weekend.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.91918d5ab18ee996cff2def82e9f1b9c.jpegimage.jpeg.75f92f09b8624db0f1955cccae88d1c3.jpegimage.jpeg.2ff565f31bf119e29ae440bc6e924674.jpegimage.jpeg.6868e4ed8b45d61bdf290b1fe21adf00.jpegimage.jpeg.030b9dc19890bc818bcdd1247f3ad37b.jpegimage.jpeg.98aa72a323a7149f2b7c5a3be86015e6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d2869828fd3f2c97efc3310fc5245b58.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 21

Good afternoon to everyone.

I have been kicked off the internet so many times, i am almost afraid to try to post.

i tried to react to some messages and was unable to do so.  So forgive me.

I am just about over my cold, except for a bit of a lingering cough.  Have some lozenges.

Prayers for all those who need them, especially for Baby Murphy and condolences to @mamaofami and Lorraine.

Terry, glad to hear the good news about Lou.

I have everyone in my prayers.

Yesterday was not good.  We were in Trondheim.  I cancelled our ship tour because I thought we could walk around the city on our own.  Well, maybe it was because I was still feeling the effects of my cold and DH was also tired, but we didn’t get too far.  I really wanted to get to the Nidaros Church and a few other places.  i only got half way and knew I couldn’t do it.  So we turned around and came back to the ship.

Today, on the other hand, I felt much better (what a difference a day makes!).  We were in Nordfjordeid, Norway.  The sun was shining, it was in the mid 70s and just glorious.  We took a private tour to Loen to the SkyLift to Mt. Hoven.  What spectacular scenery. 

Tomorrow is Kirkwall, Orkney Islands.  We were just informed that we will be arriving late and that we will be subject to mandatory face to face inspection by UK authorities upon arrival.  I organized a tour that was supposed to begin at 8:30 am for us and three other couples.  Well, it’s not going to start at that time.  I have had to make adjustments twice in the last 8 hours to this tour and am having trouble contacting the tour operator.  Plus it is going to rain all day and be very windy.  Ugh!

Hoping everyone has a pleasant day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another humid day and I have the ac going.  I went to Walmart for Temptations cat food and picked up a blueberry pie.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good to me.  @dfish I’ll start packing this weekend.  

I think Sue is almost all packed.  I've got two sweatshirts and a pair of jeans in my suitcase.

57 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish We enjoyed a facsimile of the shrimp with sun dried tomatoes dish last night.  I added chopped onion, green pepper and some broccoli, then the spinach last, so lots of good veggies. Used a substitute for tge cream, “extra creamy oat milk” and a bit of butter worked quite well. I’ll make it again. Didn’t serve it over a starch, just on its own.  We both liked it. 

Thanks for the feedback!   I saved the recipe for another time and may utilize some of your substitutions. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@kazu Good to hear some improvement for Ivan. How is your elbow?  I don’t think you’ve mentioned it lately.. to much going on.  

Yes, it’s been low on my list of priorities.  I just have one spot that is troublesome that despite the work I have done doesn’t seem to have resolved much.  Last physio appointment is Monday so I’m hoping Barb might have an idea for a different exercise or it just may require more time.  But all in all, it works.  I have been able to oomph Ivan on the couch and help him off.  He really likes to be with his Mum 😂 

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

image.png.8f9d635726cb98e26e030a972cddfc54.png

And dogs’ accidents 😉 

7 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Tomorrow is Kirkwall, Orkney Islands.  We were just informed that we will be arriving late and that we will be subject to mandatory face to face inspection by UK authorities upon arrival.  I organized a tour that was supposed to begin at 8:30 am for us and three other couples.  Well, it’s not going to start at that time.  I have had to make adjustments twice in the last 8 hours to this tour and am having trouble contacting the tour operator.  Plus it is going to rain all day and be very windy.  Ugh!

Oh yikes, Terri 😬. I hate when that happens - too stressful.  and yes, you might have to go through immigration having been in Norway.  When we had to do it in Tilbury, it was very quick - I hope yours is too.

In case it is of help, your tour guide should know that about the late arrival and reach out to you (hopefully) and if not should be there waiting for you 🤞 

I am a glad to hear a day made a big difference & you are feeling better.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

I'll skip the body painting and I have no intention of riding a motorcycle.

I have a mostly undeserved reputation for French cooking, and a friend asked me to plan a menu for Bastille Day and provide recipes. For the dessert I recommended a blueberry clafoutis, since blueberries are in season and it's easy to make. The rest of the menu is probably more complicated than she probably wanted, and possibly too heavy for July for health-conscious people (yoga teacher and physician), but French portions, in multi-course meals, are smaller than American portions.

If the pad thai really took only ten minutes, and if I had the ingredients, I'd make it. I could do without the cocktail but might like the wine. The first few times I had Malbec as a varietal, from Argentina, it struck me as thin and overly tannic, but that is not really typical. It's one of the grapes allowed in a Bordeaux blend or a Meritage. It used to be thought that Malbec wouldn't ripen in the Finger Lakes, but here is a 2021 Malbec from Thirsty Owl, on the shore of Cayuga Lake, which was the first Finger Lakes winery to grow it. I haven't been to Omaezaki and it wasn't on the Japan itinerary that was cancelled in 2021.

I was only virtual for the synagogue today, because my digestion is upset and, with a conference presentation in a week, I don't want to risk catching anything that I don't already have. I added Baby Murphy to the prayer list.

Yesterday I ordered new sneakers for the conference, which is on a university campus with a lot of walking between buildings, because none that I had seemed to fit any longer.

theologians.jpg.4a2600efbff361f72837b2391d7e8dd8.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning all!

A quick hello before we get started on our day.  We're loving having the DGS here with us all weekend.  The older they get (Foster just turned 10) the less we see the boys, they're so busy with school, scouts, camps etc.  A big change from when we had them 2-3 days/week before they were in school.

Last night the aquatic center was a big hit.  Foster played in the water for 2 hours with my neighbor's granddaughter while she and I chatted poolside.  Today's plans haven't been set yet, other than dinner out. We may spend some hours at the Children's Museum.   Tomorrow will be a movie and Jump, Rattle, Roll (huge inflatables) before we take him home.  Then on Monday I will rest!

I think I'll pass on everything except the blueberries today.  Good quote, have not been to this port.

Have a great day everyone!  

• Like 25

Numbers have always played a big roll in my life , I consider myself being a numbers man , I was educated as such and always bring everything back to numbers  , so I just noticed that the number 77 is mentioned quite a few times today …………yes you can call me nuts or I am looking like I have nothing better to do but you could also say I paid attention to the Roll Call today ……….!

Smitty…..77 ,  Ger_77 ,  Jimmy and Rosalynn  77 ,  and Linda  saying it was 77 in Texas and it feels like 77 ………

So I thought today this was worth a special post on the Fleet Report and let you know how my brain works ……… other than that  I watched the stage of the Tour de France today  Max Pedersen won in Limoge , it was very exciting , and my favourite F1 driver Max Verstappen won another Pole position for the race tomorrow in Great Britain  …….

Taking a break now and go into my garden see if the deer did not eat any more of my beans that I was almost ready to pick but I lost out to them .......

Have a great day everybody ! 

Tony 
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning and thanks all. Glad to hear baby Murphy is holding her own!  DH had a fully chopped Harley Sportster so that was a lot of fun, but boy did we get the looks! 

I appreciate all the kind words of support!  

@kazu glad to hear Ivan is back on the couch, now let’s get him and your elbow the rest of the way! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser hoping your DH can  get the treatment needed, such a long haul!  

@RedneckBobappreciate your insight, lol!  

@ger_77 sounds like a lot of fun, too bad you weren’t closer! 

We’ve been to that area of Japan, but it was the port of Shimuzu so I’ll share a few photos of the area.  They grow tea there and there is a wonderful temple that you have to take a cable car to get to.  It is also near to Mount Fuji. 

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone!

Very busy thread this week. We are having beautiful weather this WE so different from what we have all Summer so we are enjoying it immensely. So nice to have a clear sky, no smoke!

@CruisingSister glad to hear sweet baby Murphy is doing OK.

When we had ECMO patients on our unit there was at least one if not two nurses 24/7 and an ECMO tech (perfusionist in our hospital) at the bedside taking care of the patient. There was also a physician on the unit 24/7 too. In adults you tend to watch for trends no matter how small but babies can change quickly so the need for the intense watching is needed. They were considered high level of critical care need; a patient can be critically ill depending on the need for level of care but they can be also be considered stable. It sounds like this is where baby Murphy is at now. Very good results on the heart surgery tests. Happy she is stable. Continued extra prayers for her, her parents and the family.

I love bluberries! They are my favorite fruit...😊

I like Malbec too; most Cabs are too heavy, I get a green aftertaste from Merlot. Pinot Noir is OK. Red blends are a crap shoot at times, IMHO. Lol.

No body painting here, don't believe I have ever. I have been on a motorcycle a few times but didn't really enjoy it; it felt too vulnerable. 

My thanks to all of the contributors here, it is all great to read and enjoy this nice/kind space each day.

Prayers for all here struggling with health issues, pet issues, family issues and I am sure I have forgotten other things people are going through. Sorry for any kind of pain they bring.

Happy celebrating to those who are having a good day, those celebrating good news and are just celebrating life. Cheers! 🥂

Take care everyone and have a good rest of the WE.

Caron

Edited by Cruisercl
typo
  • Like 25

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good  morning and thanks all. Glad to hear baby Murphy is holding her own!  DH had a fully chopped Harley Sportster so that was a lot of fun, but boy did we get the looks! 

I appreciate all the kind words of support!  

@kazu glad to hear Ivan is back on the couch, now let’s get him and your elbow the rest of the way! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser hoping your DH can  get the treatment needed, such a long haul!  

@RedneckBobappreciate your insight, lol!  

@ger_77 sounds like a lot of fun, too bad you weren’t closer! 

We’ve been to that area of Japan, but it was the port of Shimuzu so I’ll share a few photos of the area.  They grow tea there and there is a wonderful temple that you have to take a cable car to get to.  It is also near to Mount Fuji. 

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

One of our favorite cruises! Weren't we lucky?

• Like 14

Hi friends! Thanks for all the good wishes about my procedure yesterday. However, the outcome wasn't what I had hoped for. The dr. found several polyps - one on the large side - so now I will have another colonoscopy in a year. So much for my hopes to be done, but I guess I'm glad they're being thorough. Pathology report won't be available for a week or two.

Talked to my new PCC yesterday, the one that replaced J---- who I loved dearly. Well, I must say I was really impressed with the time he took to help me figure out how to switch my Alaska booking from 2024 to 2025. I think I've got a keeper!

I realized a few days ago that my volunteer commitment for 2024 meant that I couldn't do the 28-day Summer Solstice cruise, but thanks to CC I learned that the 2025 itinerary is now available, so I switched. Prices are a little higher, but I expected that.

Prayers for Baby Murphy and all the others on the Care list. Yay for all those celebrating! Have a good day!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, highscar said:

Love blueberries.  Spent many summers picking them in northern Ontario. Warning, when picking—— DO NOT WEAR WHITE SHORTS. The bushes are very low to the ground.  

I

So are the snakes. Fortunately they do not leave behind a stain! 😀

As a side note, I was picking up a large piece of moss from the ground yesterday with my left hand when all of a sudden I feel something wrap around my hand. It was a snake hiding in the moss. I’m ok, I was able to tell y’all about it because I type with my right hand. 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7